Interesting convo with an African about cheese...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 09:12 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Interesting convo with an African about cheese...

I met some folks a couple days ago who are visiting from Kenya and have been here for a few days (visiting some family member). The group was fantastic, really nice people with so much to offer, funny, kind, and very generous... Just really great folks, all of them.

Anyway, we started talking about food and I asked them what sort of foods that they eat, which got us on the subject of "strange foods", and they would tell me about some things that they eat, from brains to digestive organs, and all sorts of really gross (to me) stuff, and then we got on the subject of cheese and they all cringed... It puzzled me a bit because I like cheese a lot and never thought about the concept and how gross it really does sound when you describe how it's made.

These guys eat some pretty gnarly things and have no problem doing so, but when you bring up cheese, any kind of cheese for that matter, they think it's just absolutely disgusting and they refuse to eat it because of how gross they think it is... They have a point though, if you think about what cheese really is, and if you looked at it from an outsider point of view (just like us being grossed out by foods we're not used to), you can understand why people would be so grossed out by it... I mean, it's old spoiled milk with mold...

It was just so interesting to see what sort of things they thought were normal and what they thought was totally alien... Just very classic

Also, regarding cars, they had NO idea what the hell a Subaru was, nor had they heard of brands like Lexus and such... They knew the big brands like Merc Benz and BMW, but my Subaru was a total alien car to them.

I love talking to people who are new to the western society, it's like having a time machine and bringing someone from the past into the present (their future)... Explaining what things are and introducing them to all sorts of new things (Like Walmart! Walmart was a HUUUUGE deal to them! ).

Another thing they were talking about was how Americans are in such a hurry all the time... Everything is time and hurry, they thought that was pretty weird. They would always say "Just relax and take your time", and think Americans are pretty crazy due to their hectic lifestyle (which is normal to us).

Just thought I'd share... It's not often that you talk to people who have lived in such seclusion (they didn't live in big cities in Kenya, small village actually), so I did my best to ask them as many questions as I could... Very interesting, I wish I had it on video. They laughed A LOT... They thought I was so interesting because I was so tall and the way I spoke was totally funny to them... It was great.

But yeah, they were really great people and I enjoyed every second that I spent with them. They told me if I was ever in Kenya that they would take me under their wing and show me all the sights and cultural aspects of their country... They were all very positive and loved life, just very inspirational people who made you feel really nice inside. Lots of smiles and LOTS of laughter. It was GREAT!

Anyone else have stories similar to this?

Last edited by brucelee; 08-01-2009 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:07 AM

Car Info: Smokin' Joe
One of my Ethiopian Co workers was enjoying the hell out of a lemon one day. just thought it was funny... as if she's never had a lemon before. sorta cute though
Old 08-01-2009, 10:21 AM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
ooo I love grilled pork belly, intestine and beef hearts..

mmmm
Old 08-01-2009, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by papakiet
One of my Ethiopian Co workers was enjoying the hell out of a lemon one day. just thought it was funny... as if she's never had a lemon before. sorta cute though
Most people don't know this, but Ethiopia is an amazingly beautiful country. Very mountainous, lush and green with great water falls and lots of other great sights. They have big cities to very secluded tribes untouched by the west. I would like to go there one day, about the only place in Africa I'd ever go.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:59 PM
cal

Car Info: 03
haha great story. they must think pizza is teh gross
Old 08-01-2009, 02:47 PM

Car Info: Teh Subie
I generally have my furburgers without cheese.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by brucelee
Most people don't know this, but Ethiopia is an amazingly beautiful country. Very mountainous, lush and green with great water falls and lots of other great sights. They have big cities to very secluded tribes untouched by the west. I would like to go there one day, about the only place in Africa I'd ever go.
I did NOT know that... but after I saw Tears of the Sun (Monica Bellucci flick ) I wanted to go to Africa. Not sure if it was filmed on location..but that place looks stunning!
Old 08-01-2009, 05:12 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel EOC Stage 1

Originally Posted by brucelee
Most people don't know this, but Ethiopia is an amazingly beautiful country. The area's that aren't rife with violence, chaos, anarchy, or just barren sandy wasteland are very mountainous, lush and green with great water falls and lots of other great sights. They have big cities full of chaos and violence too, very secluded tribes untouched by the west. I would like to go there one day, about the only place in Africa I'd ever go.
fixed.........

even had to fix your spelling and grammar
Old 08-01-2009, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by rau

fixed.........

hahaha
Old 08-01-2009, 09:08 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Originally Posted by papakiet
I did NOT know that... but after I saw Tears of the Sun (Monica Bellucci flick ) I wanted to go to Africa. Not sure if it was filmed on location..but that place looks stunning!
They shouldn't have given Monica Bellucci any speaking parts in that movie. Tears of the Sun would've been better had they just kept her lookin dirty and sweaty but with no talking.

BTW, they shot the movie in Hawaii.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by rau

fixed.........

Actually, Ethiopia isn't like Liberia or other crazy african nations... It's a dominatly Christian nation and very peaceful compared to other nations in africa. Funny that it borders one of the worst countries in the world (Somalia), however it borders Somalia with a huge vast desert which is virtually uninhabited so there's no interaction between the Somali's and the Ethiopians. Most Ethiopians reside on the northern part of the country well away from Somalia. It'd def one of the most peaceful african nations, they had their share of violence and are very tired of it, especially after the 80's famine that swept through the land... They all want to move on and live normal lives so violence is frowned upon.

Check out the google video travel documentary (Globe Trekker) that has traveler Ian Wright go though Ethiopia, it's a 4 part video and WELL worth the watch. I'll even link you.

Part 1:
http://www.ethiotube.net/video/1304/...hiopia--Part-1

Part 2:
http://www.ethiotube.net/video/1305/...hiopia--Part-2

Part 3:
http://www.ethiotube.net/video/1310/...hiopia--Part-3

Part 4:
http://www.ethiotube.net/video/1315/...hiopia--Part-4

In case you guys don't know about Globe Trekker, it's a REALLY great travel show that goes to destinations off the beaten path and bring you some stunning footage of lands that hardly anyone travels to. It usually airs on PBS or KTEH, it's a great show and def one of my all time fav.

Enjoy the show about ethiopia, it's def worth it... I love learning about lands outside of our normal realm of western civilization... It's great to learn about how others live in mysterious nations, and if you do too watch the 4 parts of the show I linked.

Edit: That is actually from Ethiopia's version of youtube, AKA Ethiotube! Not making it up either!
Old 08-02-2009, 11:36 PM

Reading this post brought a smile to my face. Today you amazed me Bruce.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by DeliciouSpeed
Damn man, it's been AGES since I saw you post last! What, like a good 6 years now?

Welcome back, and just with a lot of other things, with age comes quality.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:47 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by DeliciouSpeed
wtf, first josh and now this?!