Intake suggest...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 09:49 PM

Car Info: 08 STI
Smile

Damn, thanks to all... ther's a couple things i didn't know about intake set ups.

being my first turboed car, i have dealt with motorcycles for bout 9 yrs and performance bolt ons are pretty simple..

like i said thanks! and if others want to share other suggested mods thats koo...

more interested in road race so i know my focus should be suspension...
Old 03-01-2009, 10:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 04 STi
I love the sound of an intake, but to be honest, I keep hearing that it doesn't do much for performance - so I saved my money and spent it on other things.

Oh, and I didn't read anything before I posted, lol.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:20 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by Onizuka
Oh, and I didn't read anything before I posted, lol.
Way to be a bad influence on new members!
Old 03-01-2009, 10:31 PM

Car Info: 13 Taco Double Cab 4x4/ 71 Datsun 510
pfft
Old 03-01-2009, 10:54 PM

Car Info: 02 PSM VF34, 08 WRB FSXT
Wink

i have an spt intake sitting in my parents garage and if you'd like then you're more than welcome to borrow it to see how you like it. if you like it then you can have it for $40. if you don't like it then no biggy. let me know.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:27 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel EOC Stage 1
Originally Posted by Choku Dori
Way to be a bad influence on new members!
what new members?
Old 03-01-2009, 11:27 PM

Car Info: 2003 PSM WRX, 80 Brat ready for Chevy 350 Swap.
i know i did the snorkus delete on my stock intake and i went though a puddle(more or so the size of a lake, about a foot deep) and i for sure got water in the intake.. i would try to take off and as soon as anything around 7 psi came around, Sputter, sputter, sputter.... it sucked ***** so i drove it back to my friends house(closer than my house) let it sit for a couple hours then drove it home.. but this **** can happen with the stock filter with the snorkus delete too.. i myself now have a K&N Typhoon Short ram intake with a completely blocked off engine bay near the fender well so that absolutely no water comes through my fender
Old 03-02-2009, 09:24 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Aftermarket intakes can help with power and response even at stage 2 power levels. The gains are definitely more pronounced with higher flow rates, but they do exist at lower levels as well. My favorite short ram intakes are the K&N Typhoon and the Cobb SF Intake. The SPT is decent but its extremely prone to heat soak and takes a long time to cool back down. The filter can also slip off the pipe even when the clamp is fully tightened. This happened to me once during a rally... no fun .

My favorite intake all around is the APS CAI. Its a CAI so it keeps intake temps down but it also doesn't locate the filter all the way down in the bumper, so there is less chance for sucking up water. I ran an APS CAI for a very long time with no water issues through several winters, track and rally events. The APS CAI does require custom tuning.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 03-02-2009, 09:25 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by subie OCD
Oh, I forgot to mention. If you buy an intake - HAVE IT TUNED!!
Have you had yours tuned??
Old 03-02-2009, 09:39 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by wrxisthebest
ok... think about the short ram "sucking up hot air" idea.

doesn't matter if the air starts out cold or hot, it has to enter a blazing hot turbo and then go to the intercooler anyways lol..

go with a short ram. CAI(Cold Air Intakes) can suck up water during the winter...
A heads up on this topic. So can short rams. Especially if the have a box set up like the SPT has the optional guard.

if you park your car down hill and its raining water pools up on that flat surface where the air filter sits. If you then drive up hill and have to get on boost at all it'll suck up the water. I've had it happen a few times now as my office parking is downhill and I have to drive up a steep driveway out.

Sets off your MAF CEL.

Just something to be careful of. Nothing alarming as it seems that it has to be a pretty extreme situation or this exact situation to have any issues. I drive in HUGE puddles all the time because I live on a gravel road. No issues.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:49 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by Ballz
More food for thought..

CAI = +/- $300

Hydrolock = voided warranty and/or +/- $2500 for an engine rebuild
Not with the SPT intake. Hydrolock equal SOA pays for the engine rebuild.

As for hydrolock. I've NEVER seen it happen. I've had intakes on my cars since 1999 or so. The only issue I've ever personally had is the one I described above and it has to be exactly as described. I've smashed through... hell I did this morning.. an 1/8th mile worth of puddles.

I am in full support of an SPT intake. CARB legal and SOA supported. I've had mine on for a LONG time with nothing but good reviews. If you have a larger turbo that demands more air I don't see any draw back from an intake and I've heard that the SPT is actually quite tuneable.

APS is the best but it's not CARB legal or SOA supported.

I love how it's cool to hate on intakes and say they're worthless. That used to be true but with the newer intakes on the market its just not. A LOT of value can be had with an intake if you are running a larger turbo and enough can be had on bone stock cars that the SPT in general is a good bargain if you are concerned about warranties and CA laws.

I seem to remember a certain O.G. i-cluber from LIC getting some impressive results with the K&N a few years back on a certain STI.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:27 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
Have you had yours tuned??
aaack - you caught me!

Just emailed you!

Last edited by subie OCD; 03-02-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by rau
what new members?
latebrake is one example.

rau would be another
Old 03-02-2009, 12:08 PM

Car Info: 13 Taco Double Cab 4x4/ 71 Datsun 510
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Not with the SPT intake. Hydrolock equal SOA pays for the engine rebuild.

As for hydrolock. I've NEVER seen it happen. I've had intakes on my cars since 1999 or so. The only issue I've ever personally had is the one I described above and it has to be exactly as described. I've smashed through... hell I did this morning.. an 1/8th mile worth of puddles.

I am in full support of an SPT intake. CARB legal and SOA supported. I've had mine on for a LONG time with nothing but good reviews. If you have a larger turbo that demands more air I don't see any draw back from an intake and I've heard that the SPT is actually quite tuneable.

APS is the best but it's not CARB legal or SOA supported.

I love how it's cool to hate on intakes and say they're worthless. That used to be true but with the newer intakes on the market its just not. A LOT of value can be had with an intake if you are running a larger turbo and enough can be had on bone stock cars that the SPT in general is a good bargain if you are concerned about warranties and CA laws.

I seem to remember a certain O.G. i-cluber from LIC getting some impressive results with the K&N a few years back on a certain STI.
Yea, not with the SPT intake. Hydrolock equal SOA pays for the engine rebuild.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:31 PM

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by Ballz
Yea, not with the SPT intake. Hydrolock equal SOA pays for the engine rebuild.
What if they prove it was used outside of its intended usage? Because if you get hydrolock on a SRI you're really doing it wrong.

I know they won't even honor a burnt up clutch while doing engine rebuilds for blown ringlands, so the hyrdolock on a SRI is really pushing it.

Quick Reply: Intake suggest...