Install Advice... to install or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 07:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Install Advice... to install or not?

I know there's a suspension forum but i wanted some advice from people i know/met etc. etc.

Ok, i ordered a Cusco 21mm Front Sway Bar from Vivid about 4, yes 4 months ago (i didn't know all the smack/bad-rumors about vivid at the time and will refuse to buy from them ever again). i have been doing my buying through local vendors. Anyway, i just got the sway bar from them and was wondering if i should install?
Here's what I have so far:

1)stock struts/springs etc.
Aftermarket stuff:
1) Cusco 22-24mm Rear Adj Sway Bar.
2) Cusco OS front tower brace
3) Cusco OS rear tower brace
4) Kartboy rear-endlink bushings with/stock endlinks.

I was told to go 24mm on the rear sway bar if i do the install. can anyone please tell me if i should/shouldn't.

No offense but i would rather have experienced people post. Please don't post if you have a OPINION unless you have a similar set-up, or know what you're talking about because i'm confused with how the car may handle and don't want to screw myself or my car. hope you all understand

Thanks, Eric
Old 07-07-2003, 08:07 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 94 T-Leg Sedan and a 00 M5
I have the front sway bar on my wagon and I like it alot. Turn-in response is a lot more intense at medium speed. I can really feel the front of the car "bite" into the turns. I also have the rear SB set to 24mm, but no tower braces and stock endlinks, and I really like my setup. I still have mild understeer, but I think with what you have on there now, you should be pretty close to neutral handling. Try it out and see what you think. The install isn't that much of a PITA. I did it myself and I have limited wrench experience.
-Etch
Old 07-07-2003, 09:26 PM
VIP Member

thanks for the advice, anyone else?

the more input the better
Old 07-07-2003, 09:28 PM

Car Info: 13BRZ, 11FXT, 08T25, 07STI, 02WRX
Rear sway bar should not take more than like 30minutes. Front will take a bit longer that is for sure.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:34 PM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
i'm actually in a similar situation to you Sisqocqk. my Cusco front bar is supposed to be on it's way, along with a set of MRT front end links. i have a Cusco rear adjustable bar that's set to 22mm right now, and Perrin end links. i'm planning on installing the front bar as soon as it gets here (along with the front links) and going up to 23mm on the rear bar.

i really don't like body roll in cars, coming from a motorcycle racing background, it feels really, really wrong. right now, the understeer on my WRX isn't bad, but the body roll from the front end is noticeable compared to the rear. my thoughts are that i'll bring the front end's roll in line a bit, and then use the adjustable rear to fine tune the balance of the car until i buy a set of coilovers. that said, i do have a whiteline ALK that i have yet to install, so depending on the results of that, i may bring the rear bar back to 22mm.

the worst case scenario is this: you install the bar, play with the rear end's adjustments a bit and decide that you don't like it. all have you to do is pull it off, and put the stock one back on. at that point, you can either keep it and use it when the rest of the car is set up more, or sell it to someone if you don't think you'll ever use it. if you didn't have rear bar, installing it would make your ride understeer like a drunken minivan.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:50 PM
VIP Member

Originally posted by dropkick_muppet
i'm actually in a similar situation to you Sisqocqk. my Cusco front bar is supposed to be on it's way, along with a set of MRT front end links. i have a Cusco rear adjustable bar that's set to 22mm right now, and Perrin end links. i'm planning on installing the front bar as soon as it gets here (along with the front links) and going up to 23mm on the rear bar.

i really don't like body roll in cars, coming from a motorcycle racing background, it feels really, really wrong. right now, the understeer on my WRX isn't bad, but the body roll from the front end is noticeable compared to the rear. my thoughts are that i'll bring the front end's roll in line a bit, and then use the adjustable rear to fine tune the balance of the car until i buy a set of coilovers. that said, i do have a whiteline ALK that i have yet to install, so depending on the results of that, i may bring the rear bar back to 22mm.

the worst case scenario is this: you install the bar, play with the rear end's adjustments a bit and decide that you don't like it. all have you to do is pull it off, and put the stock one back on. at that point, you can either keep it and use it when the rest of the car is set up more, or sell it to someone if you don't think you'll ever use it. if you didn't have rear bar, installing it would make your ride understeer like a drunken minivan.

Thanks for the input dropkick_muppet. keep in touch with me and keep me posted on how it goes.

Does anyone else have anything else to add. the more the better

thanks, eric
Old 07-07-2003, 09:52 PM
VIP Member

Originally posted by ImprezaRSDriver
Rear sway bar should not take more than like 30minutes. Front will take a bit longer that is for sure.
The front took me about 2 hours. I thought the problem was going to be the sub-frame, but the biggest pain was getting the endlinks (got the MRT ones) onto the sway bar. I ended up locking the swaybar into the mounts, and then forcing the endlinks onto the swaybar/control arms.

(note: are those the control arms? Whatever the other side of the endlink attaches to, that is what I had to force )

Also, Whiteline recomended I use some pipe clamps (a smaller version of the type that hold your IC hoses and MAF hose... not sure if that is what they are called) to center the bar and stop it from traveling. At first I did not do that, however I got a wicked bad clunking noise during auto-x and "evasive" driving manuevers. After about two months I got under the car to install them and found that the bar had indeed been traveling. I installed the pipe clamps and, voila, no more travel and no more clunking.

I mounted them on the insides of the mounting points, but that is just me.

Good luck. Handling-wise, the FSB and endlinks made the biggest difference in my day-to-day driving. They also keep me a little more sane/safe during track days. (understeer helps keep you on the track and out of the grass when you are inexperienced )
-Etch
Old 07-07-2003, 10:48 PM

Thanks for the input dropkick_muppet. keep in touch with me and keep me posted on how it goes.
will do, as soon as the bar actually gets here.

Handling-wise, the FSB and endlinks made the biggest difference in my day-to-day driving. They also keep me a little more sane/safe during track days. (understeer helps keep you on the track and out of the grass when you are inexperienced )
huh, that's odd. it would reduce the risk of spinning, but in extreme cases, you could windd up pushing the front hard enough to run off the track. have you driven mostly front wheel drive cars?

i do think that the solid endlinks (rather than the spindly stockers) will quicken the response of the car, which will certainly benefit the car even at street speeds. i'm really looking forward to playing arround with the front/rear balance a little when the font bar comes in.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: Evo X, 04 STI, 335i, Fit
depending on how your car handles without it... on a wagon it would make a bigger difference since more weight is getting tossed around in the back.

depending on what you have (sedan/wagon) putting the rear up to 24mm without a thicker front bar can give you alot of oversteer. Probably more than what you are comfortable with, unless you come from a RWD car. By adding the front bar you can dial the car to oversteer a bit, neutral, or understeer, depending on your driving style.

Running a thicker setting on the rear also makes the car feel a bit "tighter" and perhaps feels more responsive.

so if you like the way your car handles now, I would say leave it alone, sell the bar and get some solid endlinks.

Tommy
www.mpjperformance.com
Old 07-08-2003, 12:02 AM
VIP Member

Originally posted by dropkick_muppet
huh, that's odd. it would reduce the risk of spinning, but in extreme cases, you could windd up pushing the front hard enough to run off the track. have you driven mostly front wheel drive cars?
yep. Never owned a RWD vehicle, and this is my first AWD. I would much rather push (slowing down, anyway) than lose the rear end into a spin. I nearly had that happen twice at the last track day, but I had just enough grip to hold me to the ground. I almost pushed myself off the track in a 160-170 degree turnaround, but other than that my current setup is good for me.

I fear too much more oversteer when I'm at speed, and like the understeer on braking... for now. When I get more seat time I may want to change it up a bit (1st thing is solid rear endlinks), but for now I'm pleased.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:49 AM
VIP Member

well thanks for everyone's input. I think im going to put on the front bar and try dialing the rear to see what i like.

What does everyone think about the Kartboy bushings i have in my stock rear endlinks. do you think that should be changed too for more responsiveness? or do you think that's a decent set-up?

and does anyone know where i can get the new whiteline endlinks from? (i forget the part # but i think they're KLC26's) anyone think of a reason why not to get them?

eric
Old 07-08-2003, 10:06 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
I've got the KLC26s Eric, and I love 'em, but I think you're getting most of the benefit out of your setup.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:19 AM
VIP Member

Originally posted by BAN SUVS
I've got the KLC26s Eric, and I love 'em, but I think you're getting most of the benefit out of your setup.

Kevin, do you mean the way it is now or after i add the front SB and dial in the rear?

BTW where did you get the KLC26's just incase i have a $130 burning a hole in my pocket down the road. Does Gruppe-s sell them if i ask because i'll get their shipment over night

thanks, again.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:59 AM

yep. Never owned a RWD vehicle, and this is my first AWD. I would much rather push (slowing down, anyway) than lose the rear end into a spin. I nearly had that happen twice at the last track day, but I had just enough grip to hold me to the ground. I almost pushed myself off the track in a 160-170 degree turnaround, but other than that my current setup is good for me.
now your opinion on under/oversteer makes sense. i've always owned and driven either RWD or AWD drive vehicles, so i'm used to controlling oversteer. i've also spent more than my fair share of time driving on snow, ice, and serious mud, so slide control comes pretty easily for me.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:09 AM
VIP Member

Originally posted by Sisqocqk
Kevin, do you mean the way it is now or after i add the front SB and dial in the rear?

BTW where did you get the KLC26's just incase i have a $130 burning a hole in my pocket down the road. Does Gruppe-s sell them if i ask because i'll get their shipment over night

thanks, again.

^That question still stands^

One more question too... I talked to Tom@ kartboy when i bought the rear endlink bushings and he said aftermarket front endlinks weren't needed for the WRX sedan. is this true or do i need to get a set of front endlinks before the FSB install??

Quick Reply: Install Advice... to install or not?