Input please. The big 3 west coast events.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 08:00 AM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
Last BAM was my fist BAM and it was an absolute blast. I loved the atmosphere and being able to meet new people and see all the local subies.

The food was good too, I know everyone paid for food but I would be willing to pay maybe a $5-10 entry fee into the area plus a tip for food.

Also maybe if we did like a parts trade day where we encourage people to bring parts and then trade them with other people...might be a good idea idk

Great job as always Ray, let me know if you need any help at all.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:17 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
I've been to BAM 3 times, '08, '11, and '12. I like it. Never gone down to SSS or Subiefest. Just too much of a drive really.

Last year I was in a vendor booth. It was a good time and I'd do it again. Shame about the food trucks bailing at the last minute. Luckily I caught the update and grabbed some food before heading to the event. So it worked out anyway. Missed the Hot Dog cart though. I heard those were hella good.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:14 AM

Car Info: 03 wrx
Last year was my first BAM, and I brought my fiance and one of my friends with me. Haven't been to any other meets. These pretty much sum up what I felt.

Originally Posted by DSav408
Reasons:

1. I enjoy the BBQ type feel.
2. It makes the community more open and easier to talk with people.
3. I don't feel like being told what I can eat, I like to have options.
Made it a family friendly event. I wouldve brought my kids or my dog if I had one.

Originally Posted by SLEEPERWRX
The spill-over parking at Grant Ranch "fractures" and separates the group
Need to have a central gathering area - like Burning Man
And a sacrificial Subaru we set on fire!!!
It would be nice to have everyone parked in the same area. It'll make for some good pictures too!

Originally Posted by bkblitzed
Yea i dont really enjoy car shows but that's just me. Even at subiefest i get bored within an hour of being there. The skid pad and autox does help but unless im participating in either of those i usually leave within like 2-3 hours.
I'm not really into car shows, but it was cool none the less. It would be awesome if we could have a skid pad or something where we could have fun in our cars, but I know that'll probably make things more difficult for the planners. Maybe some kind of activity or something where people can get involved? Demo's from some vendors? Loudest subie contest?

Overall, I had a good time just hanging out, and will make it out this year if I can. Sorry for the long post.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:46 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
OK.

1. The vibe. This is the vibe that I really fought to get back. It was where we started with the original hammies, fremont and navato. I personally didn't like the vibe at Alameda. It's a cool location and it was a cool event. But there are enough car shows to go to. I don't enjoy them all that much anymore because I have had to go to so many over the years.

So my goal was to get that back.

I have always been one of the guys that pushed Daniel to grow this event. And after last year I understand what he was trying to do and why. The event is suppose to feel like that. It's what it is and it's who we are. So growing it and maintaining that is where my personal challenge for this year resides.

2. Location. We won't be back at Hammy so we shouldn't have the cell phone issue, food truck issue and vendor stranded with no way to sell anything with credit cards. It was a huge issue last year. And we are just too big. We filled Hammy up and I guarantee you they will not let us go back without a different set up.

3. Skid pad/track/auto x. This gets brought up every year and many of us would love to do that. But it's not really what we're about. For one, it's very expensive to put an event like that on and we do not have that type of sponsorship. Secondly... we're very limited on places that do that sort of thing. 3. Go to Subiefest or a track day. It's a different vibe and different event. 4. It's not really what Hammy/Bam is.

Not that it's not a fun idea.

4. Special events. We've done sound offs in the past and depending on a few different things I might consider them again this year. Sound off. Jousting. A softball game. Whatever. As for Demos... it will depend on a lot of things. Last year we had some of that in the works but there were challenges... timing and location.

Getting a race car up hammy is not easy or fun. Ask the LIC boys. Hopefully with a new location we can fix that and get LIC, GST and hopefully FW out there to show their cars off.

I'm not sure if you missed it but we did have some vendors out there with cars. Speed Element had several. Wheeldude. Detail Maniac. Etc. We had quite a few out in the show area.

But yes, I'd like to see some race cars there and if we expand to more vendors like Cobb, whiteline, etc... manufacturers. Maybe we can get them out there with cars to demo products.

Marv.. I hope that covers your thoughts. In years passed we've had tons of activities for folks and I plan to bring some of that back. It's too bad you missed events like 2008. That was probably my favorite year. And even out at Navato. We had volleyball and things like that set up.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:47 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
I've been to BAM 3 times, '08, '11, and '12. I like it. Never gone down to SSS or Subiefest. Just too much of a drive really.

Last year I was in a vendor booth. It was a good time and I'd do it again. Shame about the food trucks bailing at the last minute. Luckily I caught the update and grabbed some food before heading to the event. So it worked out anyway. Missed the Hot Dog cart though. I heard those were hella good.
It was good to have you. Sorry about screwing up your raffle prize man. At least I got a few of them out.

The food thing should hopefully be rectified with the new spot. And we will be trying to get the dog vendor back. He was the only guy to man up and live up to his word. I will do my best to honor that. And it was good.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:50 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by theoutbackdream
Never been to subie solstace or Subiefest. Last year BAM was my first and I thought it was awesome! My friends and I were impressed how well it was organized and how things were grouped (food, people, car show).

However, I didn't like Hamilton because I didn't get reception on my phone, and it seemed like parking became an issue later in the day.
Honestly. It was a minor miracle we even had an event last year. The guys you saw volunteering up there stepped up HUGE and pulled that together.

I personally thought it was one of the better events and I think I've been to 8 of them. I'd put it in the top 2 with the jousting event possibly being number 1. LOL! We need to get Krikov involved again this year. Maybe a vendor... maybe demo some lambo or bentley or whatever the hell else he's working on at the time. LOL!

Phone was a huge issue.

Glad you had fun.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:54 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by xhengmanx
I have only gone to BAM only because of time frames. I have wanted to go to SSS and Subiefest but now with being on e85 it doesnt make it that much easier. Im always willing to drive around the bay area for bam so location should be a big factor. I really liked it when it was setup in novato at stafford lake? A park scenery just seems like the proper placement for subarus!!

But I also liked how at the alameda air force base they mailed out tickets for food/entrace prior to the event even starting that way when you show up just show your ticket at the entrance and get a raffle ticket for the raffles? Maybe we can do the same thing for the shirts/hoodies/sweaters we get? Pre-pay aheda of time for those who want it, mail them a ticket voucher, pick it up on the day of the event. If they lose the voucher then its their fault. I mean seriously are you not grown up enough to even take care of a piece of paper the size of a dollar bill?

But I wonder how all 3 events would combine into one would work out. I figured 3 different events cause of the different regions, north east, norcal and socal.

Either way though I'm always up to help you out if you need! You know how to get into contact with me!
You even gonna have a car to drive dude?

Oh.... and preorder packages is something I would like to get going.

You pre-order you get a package in the mail with your ticket, a raffle ticket and hopefully a couple goodies from vendors. It's a common practice in the car show world. Maybe I can figure out how to get something done up for pre-orders only. I went to one show and they did mechanic rags. I loved mine. Different crowd but maybe like the custom stickers we had last year only go out in those packages.

It will be discussed.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:55 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 GR STi
As far nailing the vibe of BAM while also tying in the vendor booths and car show portions well, I'd say that the Stafford Lake BAM just about nailed it. Grass, sun, good peeps, cars within eyesight and reach, great BBQ. While others have been good, that year just about nailed it. IMHO
Old 04-18-2013, 10:00 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by huck
As far nailing the vibe of BAM while also tying in the vendor booths and car show portions well, I'd say that the Stafford Lake BAM just about nailed it. Grass, sun, good peeps, cars within eyesight and reach, great BBQ. While others have been good, that year just about nailed it. IMHO
It is a good spot.

There were complaints because cars were scattered a bit. Not as bad as hammy.

But yes... that vibe is what I'd like to see pushed through. I wish you could have made last years event. I think you would have enjoyed it.

We had a good vendor turn out. The car show was pretty good. The vibe was nice.

But yeah man... that's the vibe I want and I really would like you there. I like seeing the O.G. folks there.

Hopefully we can get FW, LIC and GST all there TOGETHER for once. The date will be something I work on very hard to see if we can improve those changes.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:12 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
It is a good spot.

There were complaints because cars were scattered a bit. Not as bad as hammy.

But yes... that vibe is what I'd like to see pushed through. I wish you could have made last years event. I think you would have enjoyed it.

We had a good vendor turn out. The car show was pretty good. The vibe was nice.

But yeah man... that's the vibe I want and I really would like you there. I like seeing the O.G. folks there.

Hopefully we can get FW, LIC and GST all there TOGETHER for once. The date will be something I work on very hard to see if we can improve those changes.
I think getting the key local vendors to confirm their attendance is a key component. Peeps want to see the shop cars in person. The owners are all lazy dirtbags. Get them confirmed early.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:13 AM
VIP Member

Maybe I'll set up a booth this year.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:15 AM
General Pimpin'

Maybe I'll set up a booth this year.
I had planned on asking you. I was actually considering reaching out to you first and then possibly something like Kid Robot or Somos to see if they'd be down to set something up and I'd just see if I could get you to feature in it.

I'd like to see a few non traditional vendors set up this year. Artists. Snowboard. MTB. Maybe a helmet vendor. Something that folks don't get to see every day.

So yeah man... think about it. Maybe you can demo your friends car in front of your booth. LOL!
Old 04-18-2013, 10:19 AM
General Pimpin'

I think getting the key local vendors to confirm their attendance is a key component. Peeps want to see the shop cars in person. The owners are all lazy dirtbags. Get them confirmed early.
WERD.

I tried VERY hard to shift the date around to get as many as possible to come. Last year was a tough one for several reasons. Some person to a vendors life or shop responsibilities, GST was buried in TA, and frankly many of them had just decided not to come at all because of the ding bat that tried to take over the event.

But saying that... ALL Of them kicked in in some shape or form even though they weren't there. Mike at GST was a huge help and had he not pushed me I would not have taken over. Paul sent a gang of stuff. And the Levy's kicked down too. FLI through in a bit. And of course we had the ones that were able to make it.

This will be a HUGE focus of mine. I want them all there. The local vendor and local member face to face time has always been one of my favorite parts of the event.

We had a few of them there last year but I want most or all of them there.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:02 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
My suspension broke at Stafford. Two struts, on that road that gets down to where the show cars were parked. Just too bumpy!

In my crazy research of sites that are future friendly, I got a place in mind.

Besides, with Ray and I teaming up for BAM this year, we are pretty ****ing determined to do it right.

and you WILL love it.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:04 AM

Car Info: 03 wrx
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Marv.. I hope that covers your thoughts. In years passed we've had tons of activities for folks and I plan to bring some of that back. It's too bad you missed events like 2008. That was probably my favorite year. And even out at Navato. We had volleyball and things like that set up.
last year was my first year, and I figured that a lot of these things have been done in the past. Just throwing my ideas/thoughts out there.

Quick Reply: Input please. The big 3 west coast events.