Input please. The big 3 west coast events.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 06:00 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Input please. The big 3 west coast events.

O.k. folks.

Planning is getting ramped up for BAM this year. To tell you the truth I've had a hard time deciding if I even wanted to be involved this year. I took a lot of things on my shoulders last year and have seen the ugly side of where our membership has gone in the last 2-3 years.

But I love the event. I love what it does. We're a 100% charity event and we're one of the big 3 on the west coast for subarus. So I'm gonna try to get a planning meeting going in the next couple weeks.

So this thread is for a couple reasons...

1. As I said... we're one of the big 3. Subaru Summer Solstice. Subiefest. Us. We are the biggest events on the west coast for subarus. I have reached out to both events to make sure we don't cross dates and to see if there is a way that we can all help each other. I think we deserve more press and more respect. And I'd like to see us earn more money for the charities. In order to do that... we gotta step our game up.

So my questions in regards to this are these...
1a. How many of you are planning on making 1 or all 3.
2a. What would it take to make all 3 worth your time and money.

2. Misc input. Don't expect anything to change but I'd like to hear some more input from those that did make and those that didn't. We know the food was an issue and the location is changing to help vendors and attendies. This is not the place to say where you want the event. That will be for the organizers to decide. Period. This is where you get to say... I went and this is what I loved and this is what I would like to see happen. This is also the place to say... i did not go and this is why and this is what it would take to get me there.

3. All of you that got hosed on shirts. I know it sucks. I'm still trying to rectify that situation. Believe me... it sucks to work on something like this for a long time just like it sucks to be hosed. It will not happen again. Period. If these get screwed I will make sure you all get free gear from this years events. Probably more than what you paid for for last years. I'm very very sorry for this. I hope you know I did not take money and run. In fact I'm out quite a bit because of the whole ordeal and trying to make it right for everyone... and even bending backwards to get people stuff that were not there. I'm very sorry and will do my best to rectify the issues with this department. I will be taking control of less of the event so I can focus more on this aspect of it as it is where my expertise is in the first place.

4. Vendors. Who would you like to see added. Does not need to be suby only. I am going to see about getting a few randoms in there as well. If you have contacts send them to my email. One2OneDesigns@gmail.com

So that's the gist. I'm trying to improve this event and I'm trying to link us up with the other 2 events. I'd like to see us all working together to grow and I don't want folks having to choose between one or two events. Including vendors. Some vendors are at all 3 of these. So it needs to be a viable expense for them. I have to consider that among other things.

Thanks folks.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:15 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2010 swp WRX hatch
I always go to bam and have a good time. I think we could use more vendors or food (already known). The event seems to be growing. I'll keep going unless something major changes...
I went to Subaru summer solstice last year. The cars were super spread out, like we had to park in a dirt parking lot, which sucks in a lowered car... The show was cool, but I honestly didn't plan on going back this year until I saw the new location... Looks like it will be a cool spot for a show... I'm on the fence as of now.

Never been to subiefest. No reason, timing just hasn't worked out for me.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:18 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by norcalbmxer4u
I always go to bam and have a good time. I think we could use more vendors or food (already known). The event seems to be growing. I'll keep going unless something major changes...
I went to Subaru summer solstice last year. The cars were super spread out, like we had to park in a dirt parking lot, which sucks in a lowered car... The show was cool, but I honestly didn't plan on going back this year until I saw the new location... Looks like it will be a cool spot for a show... I'm on the fence as of now.

Never been to subiefest. No reason, timing just hasn't worked out for me.

Right on. Subiefest is much improved with the new owners. And the SSS guys are really trying to improve the event. I literally just exchanged emails with them 5 minutes ago. I think they have a solid vision and I think the event will be better this year than the past. Just like I hope BAM is.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:19 PM

Car Info: Whatever The Lot Provides ;)
Lightbulb

As far as a member request, pop-ups. Not just for the booths, but also for shade since we all know that becomes a premium anytime these days. If we go I'll likely have my/our own to share but people always tend to forget this simple thing.

As far as other stuff, you got a PM bro. Let me know ASAP.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:19 PM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
gone to subiefest for the past 3 years and to bam once. I go to subiefest every year just because the drive there is always fun with friends, and that it's in LA where i can chill in LBC for a couple of days.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:22 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by bkblitzed
gone to subiefest for the past 3 years and to bam once. I go to subiefest every year just because the drive there is always fun with friends, and that it's in LA where i can chill in LBC for a couple of days.
I have some ideas bouncing around in my head that will be bounced off the folks at subiefest and SSS. Input from guys like you will become important in that.

By the way... you missed out last year. LOL!
Old 04-17-2013, 06:32 PM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
Yea i dont really enjoy car shows but that's just me. Even at subiefest i get bored within an hour of being there. The skid pad and autox does help but unless im participating in either of those i usually leave within like 2-3 hours.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:38 PM

Car Info: 07 UGM FXT
I enjoyed last years more than the year previously.

Reasons:

1. I enjoy the BBQ type feel.
2. It makes the community more open and easier to talk with people.
3. I don't feel like being told what I can eat, I like to have options.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:56 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Oh herro thread. I only go to BAM. Will be my 4th year and I'll be out again and helping for sure. I haven't been to any of the other ones but they haven't really interested me so much much to drive out to them. Bam I'm willing to drive a couple hours to.

"My phone does not exist in a Harem. But on the interwebs it does."
Old 04-17-2013, 07:03 PM

Car Info: 2004 Forester XT
never been to subie fest of summer solstice, the idea has gone through my head before but timing and the drive never worked out for me. Been to BAM the last 2 years i believe, both where good as far as atmosphere of people and the cars. My opinion on the food situation is the same as Dsav, i like to have options or like to bring my own food. Dont like to rely on others just in case the ball gets dropped. Also liked the openness of last year. It would also be really cool to get more people to attend and the idea of doing something with all 3 of the large nor cal meets is a great idea.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:04 PM

Car Info: DGM BRZ
I've been to BAM the past 3 years. I was only there for like the last 10 minutes of BAM last year, but it seemed cool.

I don't think I'll be attending SSS or Subiefest, even though I would like to, as I am on a rather tight budget like 85% of the time, but I will make BAM since it is so much closer and feasible for someone like myself.

I like the open BBQ type of feel. I feel like it's much easier to just talk to anyone, plus it means more people will be able to take their kids to have a good time, as well as their pets. Also, having a spot where everyone can park close to each other and still be close to the venue is great.

Lastly, if we do get more vendors, it'd be nice to see maybe Monster or NOS come out as well as the other local vendors (Maybe a Subaru dealership, again).
Old 04-17-2013, 07:07 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
I know you said "one of the big 3 on the west coast" " We are the biggest events on the west coast for subarus" but I think you meant "California"
one of the biggest "west coast" meets is from the makers of subiefest and wicked big meet, and it's up in washington and called the Big NorthWest Subaru Meet (I think 1,400 people?)
the other one, also in washington, is the West Coast Subaru Show (600 people last year)

Last edited by Rescuer; 04-17-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Guillermo
(Maybe a Subaru dealership, again).
[Like]
Old 04-17-2013, 07:42 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Ill be at BAM almost 100% sure (will just depend on the date).

As far as the other two, havnt made it to either and I doubt I would be able to this year anyways.

Originally Posted by Heedz
I thought you were asked to get rid of that ****ing stupid phone sig?
Old 04-17-2013, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
Ill be at BAM almost 100% sure (will just depend on the date).
I/We plan on attending again, this time might even bring the stocker, just depends on the date since Lil'Guy is due between 6/7 and 7/21.

Maybe we should go and just make sure Hide and Mike are there to assist with mops/towels and delivery?

Quick Reply: Input please. The big 3 west coast events.