Injury experts, should I go to the doctor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 10:58 AM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
i don't know about the 'not much you can do part'... I haven't had much injuries in my life, and this most recent one is one of the bigger ones... my local hospital sent me home and told me to rest. But it just didn't feel right now me. I went to my sports doc and he was able to do something to speed up the recovery for me. Before I went in, it would hurt like hell on every little bump on the road. But right after he shifted it back and put on the medicine, it didn't hurt on them bumps on my way home and the swell when down big time within 48 hours.

Leo
Old 01-29-2009, 10:59 AM

Car Info: 2012 G37S / Sold 06 WRX
I just emailed a podiatrist friend and will let you know what she thinks. But from the looks of it I'd see a dr. just in case. Being that 6days later the bruising etc has moved into the other toes.

My wild imagination of worst case scenario makes me think that the break in the small toe is impeding blood flow to the other toes hence the purpling. If not corrected you may lose those toes.

Don't quote me on that.

Just make sure you can still feel in your toes. Take a toothpick and poke at your toes. Make sure you still feel in them as well as being able to wiggle them. You can also get your wife to ***** those toe without you looking and see if you can identify which toe it is.

But in the meantime:

R - Rest
I - Ice
C - Compress
E - Elevate

Last edited by vik682; 01-29-2009 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:12 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Let me first say that this thread was a lot more helpful then I thought it would be. I love i-club because you can ask a serious question and get mature and serious answers whereas places like NAZIOC you can't get a serious answer no matter how hard you try!

Originally Posted by vik682
I just emailed a podiatrist friend and will let you know what she thinks. But from the looks of it I'd see a dr. just in case. Being that 6days later the bruising etc has moved into the other toes.

My wild imagination of worst case scenario makes me think that the break in the small toe is impeding blood flow to the other toes hence the purpling. If not corrected you may lose those toes.

Don't quote me on that.

Just make sure you can still feel in your toes. Take a toothpick and poke at your toes. Make sure you still feel in them as well as being able to wiggle them. You can also get your wife to ***** those toe without you looking and see if you can identify which toe it is.

But in the meantime:

R - Rest
I - Ice
C - Compress
E - Elevate

Wow, thanks man! That's very kind and helpful of you.

I <3 i-club
Old 01-29-2009, 11:13 AM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
could be broken toe or a jones fracture. go see a doc
Old 01-29-2009, 11:33 AM

Haha I wish I could do more for you but I'm just a 2nd semester Nursing student. =p Haven't learned that much yet.

Originally Posted by brucelee
Let me first say that this thread was a lot more helpful then I thought it would be. I love i-club because you can ask a serious question and get mature and serious answers whereas places like NAZIOC you can't get a serious answer no matter how hard you try!

Wow, thanks man! That's very kind and helpful of you.

I <3 i-club
Old 01-29-2009, 12:01 PM
Jin

Car Info: 05 CGM STi to be converted to RS
oh god i had to stop reading after couoples of words...barefoot, toe, toobox.
lol i hate that, get it patched up by a doc to make sure nothing goes wrong.
good luck on your toe, wear shoes next time!
Old 01-29-2009, 12:04 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
JHC Daniel, if you don't know when to see a doctor by now with all the crap you've been through, I don't know who would.

I think your basic rule should be "if I am wondering if I should see a doctor, rather than grossing everyone at i-club out, I'd better make an appointment and see a doctor"
Old 01-29-2009, 12:10 PM

Podiatrist just got back to me. She saids it sounds like a compression injury

Definitely recommends seeing a Dr. preferably a podiatrist (She may be a bit bias there; lol) but feet and toes are their bread and butter.

Anyhoo, just like others have been saying you probably fractured it. Worst situation is that you fractured it into the joint.

X-ray - definitely
MRI - possibly; b/c if its only cartilage damage its hard to see on the xray alone.

Good luck and I wish you the best!

Last edited by vik682; 01-29-2009 at 12:40 PM. Reason: MRI explanation
Old 01-29-2009, 12:16 PM

Car Info: 20psi Daily!
go to the doctor. we want pics of said toe ahahaha jk
Old 01-29-2009, 12:51 PM

Car Info: Car
If you have insurance consider the risk vs reward of the cost of a doctor's visit versus the risk of losing a toe or having it heal into a permanently deformed shape.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
I did the same thing when we were remodeling our house. I was chasing the dog around and my wife had slid a full box of 18" tiles in front of the door to keep it open. My dog turned the corner, hopped the box, I turned the corner and crushed my three smaller toes. I didn't see a doctor, I had some really bad swelling and a half full bottle of vitamin V. I was alright a few days later. My wife the great sympathizer "If you were working instead of playing it wouldn't have happened."
Old 01-29-2009, 02:24 PM

Car Info: 04 wgn
doctors are like robots, they only want to steal your medicines, or prescribe them; personally i'd go to a robot.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:38 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by ipozestu
I did the same thing when we were remodeling our house. I was chasing the dog around and my wife had slid a full box of 18" tiles in front of the door to keep it open. My dog turned the corner, hopped the box, I turned the corner and crushed my three smaller toes. I didn't see a doctor, I had some really bad swelling and a half full bottle of vitamin V. I was alright a few days later. My wife the great sympathizer "If you were working instead of playing it wouldn't have happened."
haaa. she's one to talk.

shhhhhh. I didn't say that.

oh... and I talked to Jordan. Call us tonight about Sat. a.m.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
haaa. she's one to talk.

shhhhhh. I didn't say that.

oh... and I talked to Jordan. Call us tonight about Sat. a.m.
No kidding right? Will do. And Dan sorry to hear about the foot. When I hit mine I was hoping it would fall off. I never figured it's use for anything other than stubbing.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:59 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
Originally Posted by ipozestu
"If you were working instead of playing it wouldn't have happened."

Quick Reply: Injury experts, should I go to the doctor?