Injury experts, should I go to the doctor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 10:09 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Injury experts, should I go to the doctor?

Hello to those of you who have suffered a similar injury,

About 6 days ago I was playing with my dog and he was chasing me into the garage, since we were playing in the house originally I was barefoot (well, I had socks on, no shoes)... As we run into the garage at full speed I catch my left small toe on the bottom corner of my tool box... Remember, I am 250lbs or so and was running full speed, all of that force went straight to my toe.

The pain I felt was debilitating! I dropped to the ground like a little 14 year old school girl! It was a very intense few mins until it numbed out and fell to a tolerable level of pain.

The second day my small toe turned daaaark purple with a shade of black and was pretty swollen... Now that its the 6th day not only is my small toe still purple and swollen, but 3 other toes have also turned purple in the joint area that meets the foot... It still hurts to walk on and its still swollen to the point where it feels like my foot is encased in jello (feels like it jiggles when I walk sometimes due to the extra blood in that area).

I've stubbed my toe before but NEVER this bad so I haven't ever gone through this sort of healing process. Should this be expected like if you were to sprain your ankle? Or can the doctor do something for it besides tell me to ice it and elevate it?

Thanks for the help.

Daniel - 14yo school girl
Old 01-29-2009, 10:12 AM

http://askville.amazon.com/weeks-bac...uestId=2978243

Basically, see a doctor. Something might be broken, and leaving it alone may lead to a fungal infection.....
________
MEDICAL CANNABIS

Last edited by kyoung05; 03-30-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:14 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Broken toe...splint with popsicle sticks & duct tape.

Or be a man and let it heal.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:14 AM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
damn... i sprained my ankle and shifted my bone just before the new year... It was PAINFUL! I recommend you get some x-rays done and bring it to a sports doctor... I have a good referral if you need one.

He shifted my bone back and put some CRAZY medicine on it. I was walking within days. Although not fully recovered, it was a dramatic recovery within 72 hours.

btw, this is how bad it was... I was not able to stand with my foot suspended because the blood would rush down and not come back up. It would take ~5 minutes for the pain to go back down after i lay down. And as my wife was driving me around, I was in extreme pain as she hit everything bump on the road. And yes, that was with my foot suspended in the air.

Last edited by DetailAddict; 01-29-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:15 AM

Car Info: 2002 Honda S2000
I'd say get it x-rayed. But there's not much a doctor will do about minor fractures in your toes, unless you really broke them.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:16 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned

+1.

See a Dr. if you want, but there is really nothing you can do with toes besides tape them and wait for the pain to go away.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:20 AM

Car Info: 06 WRB WRX Wagon Limited Edition
Sounds like the small toe is broken. The other ones in the area might be purple just due to that one toe. I would say tough it out, nothing a doctor can really do for a broken toe atleast from my experience.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:24 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
broken toe. They happen a lot. dr. won't do much. Maybe tape it up. If you have insurance you might as well go. If no insurance then let it go. People brake toes all the time.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:32 AM

Car Info: The Latest From WayneTech.
Just be sure that you didn't break the skin - no telling how many infectious things live in your garage - my friend had a terrible bout with cellulitus and almost lost his leg when all he did was get a pin ***** on his foot from walking around his house.

So be careful out there - if it starts to swell and leak out pus; go to the Dr.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by DetailAddict

btw, this is how bad it was... I was not able to stand with my foot suspended because the blood would rush down and not come back up. It would take ~5 minutes for the pain to go back down after i lay down. And as my wife was driving me around, I was in extreme pain as she hit everything bump on the road. And yes, that was with my foot suspended in the air.

Dude! This is the WORST thing about it! Standing up is sooo painful thanks to all my ogre blood rushing down to my foot from 6 and a half feet up! It starts to pulsate and turns blood red, and sometimes I have to sit back down right away because it feels like my foot is going to explode. To get around this I have to get up REALLY, REALLY slowly... Takes me about 3-5 mins to get up from laying/sitting down if I don't want my foot to be in crazy pain.

Damn, so you guys think its b0rk3d, eh? I figured that I sprained it but I guess my symptoms are on par with a fracture according to webMD... I hate going to the doctor, takes soooo much of my time for little or no help most of the time... You guys know what I'm talking about. You have to be really f'ed up in order for them to actually do something for you..

The last time I went to the doctor for something and they actually did something for me right there on the spot was when I got bit by a black widow on my knee cap and waited 2 days to go to the hospital. They operated on it right there on the spot, didn't knock me out or anything. That was by far the most painful thing I have ever gone through, and as you guys know, I have been through a lot of crap! (Not referring to just the surgery, talking about the whole spider bite in general... I almost died from multiple symptoms including 106 degree temp and a GNARLY infection to my leg...) I don't know why I am mentioning this, it's making me squirm by just thinking about it!

Lesson of the day: Don't run full speed in your garage without shoes on, and don't ever, EVER get bit by a black widow!!! If you do by chance get bit, go to the hospital that very moment you get bit!!! DO NOT wait it out or try to be some tough guy! I paid the price and almost paid with my life! don't be an idiot like I was (am).

And I hope everyone is doing swell this sunny thursday late morning/early afternoon. Remember to brush thoroughly and if you don't know her last name, use a condom, maybe two.

Last edited by brucelee; 01-29-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by R-Dub
Just be sure that you didn't break the skin - no telling how many infectious things live in your garage - my friend had a terrible bout with cellulitus and almost lost his leg when all he did was get a pin ***** on his foot from walking around his house.

So be careful out there - if it starts to swell and leak out pus; go to the Dr.
Yeah, I'd be at the doc if I had broken the skin, I learned from the spider bite to NOT mess around with infections no matter where they are...
Old 01-29-2009, 10:45 AM

Car Info: Cage and Slicks and Wing OH MY!!
id go to a doctor just incase.

but really you cant do anything besides what paul said.

ive broken my foot 6 times now and every time the doctor says, "Heres an ace bandage. stay off it, your going to be in pain for a while...."

Thanks doc.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:48 AM

Car Info: wrx02
Go to the doctor. Take x-ray to make sure it is either broken or fractured - to r/o infection. If you have diabetes, this will be even more crucial since tissue perfusion will be compromised in such chronic disease. Yes, like R-Dub has already said above, you can loose a foot if it is a sever infection.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:52 AM
banned

Car Info: 2007 WRX Limited | vf43'D
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned

I did that. Broke a toe while dancing, didn't realize it was broken until it healed and set misaligned from the other toes. Just thought I tweaked it cuz it hurt for a week! But yeah Daniel, if its more than one toe, and you're not a small dude, go get it checked out.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:55 AM

Car Info: sold 2012 wrx sedan (sold 02 WRX wagon)
I'd go to the doctor just in case. If it's badly broken there could be other complications. Most likely they will just put some lambs wool between your toes and tape them together.

Quick Reply: Injury experts, should I go to the doctor?