The Importance of Proper English (Your language pet peeves)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 11:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: Evo X, 04 STI, 335i, Fit
let me axe you this though....
Old 08-28-2008, 11:39 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by gsxrex
IThe English language will start to mutate, so I think we all better get used to it.
Here's a better solution:

Make English the standard language of the US and implement said standard.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Here's a better solution:

Make English the standard language of the US and implement said standard.
As far as I know, English IS the standard language. That is, unless Barack wins.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...n_spanish.html

Back to my original point though - do you see this problem more so with the younger generation? The video game forums someone mentioned earlier are probably filled with teenagers, which might be why the grammar there is so horrendous.
________
New relationship advice advice

Last edited by kyoung05; 03-30-2011 at 08:04 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:18 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX
Texting doesn't help. When people text they start really shortening their words. Not to mention the broken english.

"C u their in 5 min dont b late plz"

I was listening to some morning show on the radio and they were talking about how they're finding more and more students who actually type/write like this in their school work.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:32 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Originally Posted by kyoung05
As far as I know, English IS the standard language. That is, unless Barack wins.

Back to my original point though - do you see this problem more so with the younger generation? The video game forums someone mentioned earlier are probably filled with teenagers, which might be why the grammar there is so horrendous.
The US has no official language. English is just the preferred language and the most common.

Standardizing it would make little difference other than making English speakers proud that they are using the correct language of the country. I can see this giving English speakers reason to ostracize non-English speakers or encouraging them to further assimilate when they may be getting by fine w/o speaking English as some do.

I'm not against it, but I don't see any worthwhile benefits from making it the official language.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:34 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX STi, 1993 240sx (going under knife soon)
Originally Posted by PenguinPrincess
Texting doesn't help. When people text they start really shortening their words. Not to mention the broken english.

"C u their in 5 min dont b late plz"

I was listening to some morning show on the radio and they were talking about how they're finding more and more students who actually type/write like this in their school work.

Ah, CA and its wonderful top-notch school system. "The children are the future," we say. And we expect them to speak properly, read and write better than their parents, solve the world's problems, promote peace, etc., and what do we do? Cut funding and budgets for schools. Yes!

But my ranting aside, I think the issue is laziness, really. Most people would rather use shortcuts and slang in order to get a certain point across in a reduced amount of time, as compared to using proper English grammatical structure, especially online. Can't blame them.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:44 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
^^^^

But that's laziness to the extreme. How much longer does it take to punch a few more keys to form actual words and sentences? I mean, you've already gone to the trouble of reading a thread/article/post, why not spend 7 more seconds actually making it look like you can form a complete thought.

I can see skipping stuff being useful on IMs and text messages because you may be in a rush, or the reader just needs to see the key points. Real time communications and all that, but writing in threads like this where it looks like the stenographer in court typed it up, that's different.

P.S. Many thanks to Firefox and it's auto spell check function
Old 08-28-2008, 12:46 PM
cal

Car Info: 03
grammer is rediculous
Old 08-28-2008, 01:16 PM

Car Info: 06 WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by kyoung05

wow. thats just offensive.

i have a simple philosophy. learn english, or go back to your own country. if you want to speak your native language with your friends and family, thats fine. but, if a cop pulls you over for speeding or running a stop sign, if you cant communicate coherently, you do not belong here.

yes, there are circumstances that this is not appropriate for. for instance, if the person in question is 80 or 90 (or similar). in that case, just have someone with them that speaks english.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:21 PM

Car Info: .
I knew this was going on open a can of worms. I'm glad I wasn't disappointed.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:27 PM

Car Info: E46 M. E36 M. E30. SW20. 92 VWCab.08 Civic HYBRID
Proper/perfect grammar is over rated. We spend too much time trying to sound like we are perfect speakers. We all come from different walks of life and education, therefore you can't expect everyone to sound like a news reporter. Heck, even news reporters slip every now and then. It is all relative anyway.

If you sound like a Standford grad in East Palo Alto, you will probably get mugged. If you sound like your from deep down in the hood of EPA while being in Menlo Park, you'll have people watching their pockets and keeping one eye open while your around. I know it a generalization, but you get the point.

Assimilation with regards to communication is key in terms of perception but not necessary for communication. People will judge you on how you speak (notice I didn't say how well, because again it is all relative meaning you will get criticized for how you speak depending on where you are and your background). Thus, the overhead of trying to speak with proper English is over rated.

Making a big deal out of someone slipping every now and then just shows that one doesn't recognize the tree trunk stuck in their own eyes, while trying to remove the saw dust from others.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:37 PM

Car Info: nothing
my moms friend has big grammar issues and he's a millionaire.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:44 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by Traxamillion
And just think how much more money he'd make if he could speak & write properly.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:48 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel EOC Stage 1
Originally Posted by Spoolin415
I knew this was going on open a can of worms. I'm glad I wasn't disappointed.
you're welcome
Old 08-28-2008, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Traxamillion
Sure, and most professional athletes have grammar issues and they're millionaires. Most of the popular rappers have grammar issues and they're millionaires too. I never said that having bad grammar means you won't be wealthy. I said it makes people think you are an idiot. There are lots of rich idiots, and lots of smart paupers. Intelligence and wealth don't always go hand in hand. I can think that someone is fun as hell to watch on the basketball court but also think that the person is an idiot.
________
Fix Ps3

Last edited by kyoung05; 03-30-2011 at 08:04 AM.

Quick Reply: The Importance of Proper English (Your language pet peeves)