View Poll Results: Do you/your parents have a mortgage?
I have a mortage
31.82%
I no longer have a mortage
1.52%
Parents have a mortage
46.97%
Parents no longer have a mortage
19.70%
I/Parents rent
22.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Immigrants, "Americans" and the American Dream...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 01:23 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
We need Irration X to post up his story.....

Sounds interesting - let's please hear it!
Old 08-19-2008, 01:42 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
Originally Posted by iLoqin
That's funny, cuz I think that f****** farmer is doing more hard labor yet making less than your asses sitting around at some office desk.

I bet you dont know the meaning of hard labor, everyone sittin doin mechanics and what not, and there is some person workin a farm for 12-18 hrs a day and has no benefits and coverage.

It's call racism.

That lazier fact is a load of BS. You tell me you do back breaking work in the sun all day for that many hrs and call that LAZY? Yea, it's just our industry is stupid, basis people on SOME intelligents, but not a lot.

Myspace and facebook musta sure as hell been super INTELLIGENT... i mean those guys are millionaires. I bet they would die picking grapes on a farm.

The American Dream is a false hope. If you're good at business, that's where the money is at. All economies need a business or type of business (Might not be called that) whether it's importing or exporting drugs, or rice, or whatever. That's business. If you can land a spot n' work yourself around then you're alright.

But it all depends on your skills with communications with others. Bill Clinton could lie like he did and make the whole world believe his side and lead us to hell, but his speeches were very persuasive.

And of course unless you're very well educated in sciences and health issues, most are probably not using their degree at all.

Actually in my opinion, a degree isn't about WHAT you know, it's testing whether you can withstand to do something that is extremely boring and still be proficient at the job.

Not every little detail of learning will make you interested in it, but being able to bust out A's to show that you can still do the work that is boring in a well manner is what a degree is to me. Jobs are usually repetitive and don't change too much, yet if you can do a good job at it, you'll be hired a lot easier. Lotsa jobs are well paid out there without having to have a degree.

My cousin who is a pharmacist said he doesn't use his biology degree at all from UCLA, he only uses 10-15% of his pharmacy school education, and there he is making $70/hr easy.

Take a few classes with that education of yours, like Multicultural Psychology or Cross Cultural Psychology and watch a few educational videos to get a good idea of how lopsided things are.

For instance. The exact SAME resume is used. But the names are changed from a White name to a Black name.

The white name gets called back 80% more than the black name. Weird isn't it? Without seeing a face, people judge. Without hearing your voice, people judge.

What's even funnier that I remember was that a Regular black guy would get a call back 12% of the time, compared to a WHITE guy with a CRIMINAL RECORD getting calls back 15% of the time.

Now is THAT NOT lopsided?

America believes in being "Unique" but to me, Unique is just a daughter of "Racism"

Know what it is, and know how to work things in your favor with your words and presentation, and you can find a decent living.

iLogin - lemme guess: you're either a college student or recent graduate?

Congratulations and welcome to the adult world, realizing school doesn't really mean jack except getting you your first job. And I dont' mean that as an offense, it's just so true. So many people these days go to college "just because" and after they graduate realize it's a hard and unfair world

I have to say myself since I went to Stanford and there's this sense of entitlement among a lot of people I know like the world owes them something, and it really got to my nerves a sense of no-direction some people had, a kind of "ok I have no motivations or plans but I'll just assume that because I am getting an Ivy League education I will become hella rich and successful."

I'm of the belief that the only mistake our parents and grandparents' generation made - is placing such a high priority on education and making such a drive for their kids to get a college education whereas in some circumstances people may lead better lives elsewhere (vocational school or taking up an apprenticeship for example)

I mean how many people do you know who went to college and wasn't really interested, did some bullshat major and got bad grades and now have no job, whereas they could have say been a painter, contractor, electrician, etc. and be making good money.

Last edited by verc; 08-19-2008 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:09 PM

The simple answer is that people simply don't make enough to buy a home. While people are quick to point to consumerism as the cause, I think that only applies to the few people who are on the cusp of being able to afford a home. For instance, if you WOULD have had enough to make your mortgage payments comfortably, but your unnecessary spending (i.e. car parts, iphones, etc.) causes you to NOT be able to do so, then consumerism is the cause. If, however, you simply do not make enough then it doesn't matter where you spend your money since you'll never be able to afford a house anyway. For instance, if you only have $300/mo of expendable income, no amount of saving it will allow you to all of a sudden pay a mortgage. So I think people are thinking "Screw it - since I can't own a home anyways, I might as well own ...."

I also think the lack of income is caused by a lack of skill or a lack of effort. Someone once told me that success = skill x effort. From my experience, I actually think it's more like Success = 2[inherent ability x (ability to augment inherent ability x effort)] x effort x luck. Effort alone will only get you so far.

If you've got freakish natural talent, i.e. Lebron, maybe you don't have to work as hard to be successful. If, however, you are Joe Schmo, and you don't have any real natural talents, then you better hope that you have a high aptitude for gaining talents. I think going to school, i.e. college, grad school, etc. is one of the easiest ways to gain skill. Of course, not everyone has the intellectual ability (i.e. ability to augment inherent ability) to actually graduate. This means they will either have to learn some other trade, or, work twice as hard as the other guy who was just smarter from the get go.

In conclusion, some people are naturally gifted and will barely work and still become successful. Others are not as gifted, but still talented, and will slightly harder and succeed. Others are not gifted, but have the ability to learn a skill, will do so, work not so hard, and succeed. Others are not gifted, have the ability to learn a skill, but won't do so, try to work hard, but will fail. Others have no natural ability, have no ability to learn a skill, and will bust their asses forever, but will ultimately fail. Others will be complete morons, incapable of anything useful to society whatsoever, but will catch a lucky break as a retard on the radio because having someone to laugh at drives up ratings, and they will be successful. There are an infinite number of different combinations and degrees. You need to figure out where you fall on this scale, and act accordingly.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:16 PM

This is true. No one should go to school because they think it will get them a job. There are so many other ways to make money that if that's all you wanted, going to college would be a complete waste of time. There are so many people who have graduated and barely make $50k and wonder what the hell happened. I guess no one told them that college DOES NOT equal more money. It may have at one point in time, but today, it doesn't. Everyone and their mother has a degree nowadays, so you need one just to be in the same boat as everyone else. The same is becoming true with graduate degrees, albeit to a lesser extent.

Don't go for the money, because that's not guaranteed. Don't go because your parents are making you. Go to school because you want to, because it's a chance for you to grow, because you love to learn, because it's an experience unlike anything else out there. I don't know of anyone who went to college for the right reasons say that they've regretted the decision. It's those that went to school thinking they were going to get an awesome job only to find out that they make less than retail managers that complain.

Originally Posted by verc
iLogin - lemme guess: you're either a college student or recent graduate?

Congratulations and welcome to the adult world, realizing school doesn't really mean jack except getting you your first job. And I dont' mean that as an offense, it's just so true. So many people these days go to college "just because" and after they graduate realize it's a hard and unfair world

I have to say myself since I went to Stanford and there's this sense of entitlement among a lot of people I know like the world owes them something, and it really got to my nerves a sense of no-direction some people had, a kind of "ok I have no motivations or plans but I'll just assume that because I am getting an Ivy League education I will become hella rich and successful."

I'm of the belief that the only mistake our parents and grandparents' generation made - is placing such a high priority on education and making such a drive for their kids to get a college education whereas in some circumstances people may lead better lives elsewhere (vocational school or taking up an apprenticeship for example)

I mean how many people do you know who went to college and wasn't really interested, did some bullshat major and got bad grades and now have no job, whereas they could have say been a painter, contractor, electrician, etc. and be making good money.
________
FEMALE ADVICE FORUM

Last edited by kyoung05; 03-30-2011 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:46 PM

Car Info: nothing
lmao speaking of stanford, my moms friends daughter graduated from stanford, she had a job waiting for her, earning 275K her first year. not too shabby, after school i will be making 70-75K first year.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:24 PM

Car Info: 2005 STI, 2004 S2000, 1993 RX7
275K?!!? what field is she getting into if you dont mind me asking
Old 08-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by STiyLish WRX
275K?!!? what field is she getting into if you dont mind me asking
shake that thang, shake that thang
Old 08-19-2008, 04:02 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel EOC Stage 1
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Old 08-19-2008, 05:00 PM

Car Info: 06 Impreza
hahaha, i like the way you think
Old 08-19-2008, 05:36 PM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
I'll hold the boom mic.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:49 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
Sorry for my poor English
lol i didnt know this was about mortgages, I dont know what i was thinking my class got out at 4 so i skimmed it and posted a reply to brew up for the next day...didnt work haha.

as you were...
Old 08-19-2008, 07:38 PM

Car Info: Sleeper Much?
Originally Posted by Traxamillion
after school i will be making 70-75K first year.
Answer this question. How are you so certain this will happen? A bit presumptuous at best I'd say.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:56 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by SSFWRX
Answer this question. How are you so certain this will happen? A bit presumptuous at best I'd say.
Yeah, I was pretty much saying to myself "be happy with 35K" and I got much, much more than that, but still, I did not try to pick some higher up number.

-Gagan
Old 08-19-2008, 08:52 PM

Car Info: nothing
Originally Posted by SSFWRX
the avrg first year earnings for network eng/admin III in Texas is 70-79k. Not so presumptuous. I'll let you know how i'm doing in a few years when i'm working for a company like TAC,meadwestvaco,sapp tech, brocade comm systems, etc.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:19 PM

Car Info: Sleeper Much?
Originally Posted by Traxamillion
the avrg first year earnings for network eng/admin III in Texas is 70-79k. Not so presumptuous. I'll let you know how i'm doing in a few years when i'm working for a company like TAC,meadwestvaco,sapp tech, brocade comm systems, etc.
cocky, arrogant and presumptuous.... Go Traxamillion Go....prove us wrong.

Quick Reply: Immigrants, "Americans" and the American Dream...