View Poll Results: Do you/your parents have a mortgage?
I have a mortage
31.82%
I no longer have a mortage
1.52%
Parents have a mortage
46.97%
Parents no longer have a mortage
19.70%
I/Parents rent
22.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Immigrants, "Americans" and the American Dream...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 05:34 PM

Car Info: 2006 STi 2012 STi
i work hard for everything i have. i work 10-12 hour days at the shop then go home to spend another 4 or more hours either working on work or working on the home.

i went thru the phase of frivolous spending but i was making good money back then and the economy was nice. now i set goals for the things i want and save for them but my main concerned are the things i NEED.

my goals in life are a lot higher than my goals for material things.....which is a conflict because my life goals cant afford me the material ones :lol

but i agree that americans are getting lazy...but i honestly think thats because of the media and entertainment industry. people worship other people too much and want what they have but give up trying to work as hard as most of them have. If you look back to previous generations....my grandparents dealt with REAL depression financially....and when they all came out ok they worked so that my parents could have a better easier life than they did.... our parents generation rode the tech boom and most people didnt see their parents for once reason like work or other horrible reasons....a lot of my friends were given things to keep them happy since their parents were never around....i was lucky...i never saw my parents during the week but i had all weekend every weekend with them travelling and camping family time.

that....and honestly im over worked...under paid and need a vacation but cant afford one, time wise. so im burnt out....i deffinately have lazy days.

bleh i could totally go on about p bringing and self worth spirit of human nature....but im tired and lazy right now and dont feel like jumping feet first into a politically social debate online.

but to stir up the **** pot..just for shish and giggles.. are americans becoming the new Chinese (Hong Kong/Taiwan)? want everything cheap and willing to do anyting but work for it?

:bigthumbs Jolt great topic

Last edited by blacktraxgirl; 08-18-2008 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:35 PM

Car Info: 07 specB
we are a country based on immigration...yes. however, proper immigration, like the way my family came here 4 generations ago, allows for a true census of who is actually here. i see 2 major problems with todays "immigrants":

-one, they are illegal and therefore unaccounted for, making us hardworking citizens pay there way
-or two, they are legit US citizens, but like the other guy said, choose not to adapt, learn the language, etc.

this IS the "land of oppurtunity", BUT, we are running out of room and need to be diehard about regulating our census

for those who think a few extra mexicans doesnt fu*k our system up...this is a must watch for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pgz6ZCqhtg
Old 08-18-2008, 05:35 PM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Could Walter be right? Is it just laziness?
He might possibly be...

Last edited by 03_Impreza_Al; 08-18-2008 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2017 CWP WRX & 2007 SWP WRX
Not everyone's idea of wealth is the same though. And now more than ever people do not stay in one place. People follow their jobs. This often means renting for a lot of the general population. They will only live there until their job is gone and then they will move on to the next.

So they spend their credit in different ways than purchasing a house because they may be frequently on the move.

Now more than in the past, most people frequently change jobs and careers. Not too many people will keep one job, in one city, in one home for 10+ years.

So... people's priorities changed from staying put to moving around and changing things up.

I'd like to own a house with my first career job, however I don't know that I will live in it long enough to own it. Although I agree, each generation should inherently become wealthier if the families want to become wealthier. But most people value today more than tomorrow.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:43 PM

Car Info: 2005 Stg.2 Wrx
i am a first generation immigrant.

we came for the American dream. and earned it.

paying off mortage for 2nd house now. its all about hard work and dedication.

"where there is a will, there is a way"

Nothing is Impossible. Impossible is nothing.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:51 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel EOC Stage 1
Could Walter be right? Is it just laziness?
Originally Posted by 03_Impreza_Al
He might possible be...

.......... word?
Old 08-18-2008, 05:52 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel EOC Stage 1
Originally Posted by wocabin

damn, I WAS right! how often does THAT happen?
Old 08-18-2008, 06:02 PM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
The biggest problem that I find is not necessarily with lifestyles (ie. living in debt) that different people have or choices they make that leads up to those lifestyles (living beyond their means)...What annoys me is unwillingness of those people to take responsibility for those choices, actions and lifestyles (and their subconscious content to remaining in that position).

Not sure if this will be the greatest example, but...I am an immigrant myself, and I chose to bust my *** through college, work 2 jobs to pay for it, while helping to support my family...than go into a job where I work 80 hours a week while getting my CPA in order to put in my dues and establish a solid financial base. Obviously the sacrifice has been the social part of my life, but I have never complained because that's the route I took. On the other hand, I have class mates who rode their parent's coat tails when it came time to pay tuition, went to all the keg parties, took the easiest classes and got a comfy job that emphasized available time (and lived beyond their means to enjoy it) versus a challenging career stepping stone. Many years down the line they now ***** and moan about why they cannot have the same career opportunities as me or afford certain luxuries. I have absolutely no problem with them choosing to enjoying their youth, as long as they hold themselves accountable for what those choices mean in the long run (and many of them cannot).

I feel that many people cannot admit to being contempt and not have a lifestyle they see somewhere else because of their own actions. Therefore, I always get annoyed with all the excuses why people cannot get out of debt, get a high paying job, etc...I agree and understand not everyone chooses to be super motivated, driven, opportunity seeking individuals; they just should not act or complaint like that is not the case...
Old 08-18-2008, 06:09 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Why wouldn't they want to own a home, or land?

Why wouldn't they want to be on the track to wealth, so they family lives better as each generation goes by?

I mean, I understand what you are saying, but I fail to see the point of the post. I mean what you said doesn't really seem like an answer, cause I just don't see anyone who would turn down the opportunity to own a home or become financially stable.

Oh, and the opportunity is there all the time. This is the land of opportunity, and I'm sorry, but I just don't see how anyone can say that they never had opportunities. I see uneducated immigrants make it, most folks in the US have at least better than that with having made through HS.
I can't explain the choice of 100 million Americans. Everyone has got their reasons. Buying a house is freakin expensive. Renting is a much more reasonable option.

If you want a simple answer. Some people bust their asses more than others. Some of us just have bad role models and start down the wrong path. It's all personal choices and are really none of our business to judge.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:12 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Newsflash to GAGAN... Not everyone is lucky enough to live the american dreams... deaths in families, propbles. risks. etc. etc
THATS WHY
Old 08-18-2008, 06:56 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by brucelee
Newsflash to GAGAN... Not everyone is lucky enough to live the american dreams... deaths in families, propbles. risks. etc. etc
THATS WHY
I can relate to this.

My grandfather was first generation from germany. He died fighting the germans and japanese in WWII. Died over Japan. After he died my grandmother wigged out and lets just say it started a downward spiral for my family. Don't know my father. My mom's dead. So its not like I've had things handed down to me and had someone pay for my college or a down payment on a house or get me started in business.

My adopted family has been very good to me and helped me out much more than I could ever expect from anyone so I'm not acting like I haven't been helped. Hell they paid for my wedding. What more could I ask for. But the most help they've been to me has been stability and love.

Anyhow. There are lots of people like this where one or two people make mistakes and it travels down through the generations making it more and more difficult to rise above for each following generation.

But that doesn't account for everyone. Unfortunately there are a lot of lazy self centered people in this world that don't want to work for anything. They'd rather charge it. The media tells us you have to have this and that and what not our entire lives and people fall victim to consumerism. That puts things like houses out of reach. Toss that in with this current generation being forced for the first time ever to have BOTH heads of the household working to make any headway at all and it gets more and more difficult. Never in the history of this country has there been a time where both husband and wife had to work to stay afloat. Throw debt into that and you're talking about being 40 when you buy a house instead of 20 or 25 like it used to be. Its just not realistic to think that anyone in california is going to be on a normal pace in life when it comes to families and homes. It sucks.

When our parents and grandparents where young you could buy a house for a years salery. Cars for a couple months worth. No cell phones. No internet. Credit cards where frowned upon and/or used completely different. Etc. Now a days a car is 6 months to a year salary. Houses are 10 years. Every other expense in life sucks extra expenses out of you. Some things need to change in this country and change soon or we're going to be looking at environments much more similar to South Korea, China and Japan... where homes are condos in huge buildings. You don't own property and only the wealthy have cars. Major city living is already getting that way.

I know more people in their late 20's living at home than I've ever heard of before and its getting more and more common for people in their 30's to move back in with parents to get caught up so they can purchase a house. Hell I've thought of it but I just can't put that kind of strain on my folks. My grandfather is sick and thats more than enough for them. They deserve to get into retirement not have me delay that for them.

Unfortunately the trickle down effect is hitting this generation and the next right in the temple and its just going to get worse and social security goes to **** and the stock market crashes. Hell my 401k is down 20% this year alone.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:02 PM

Car Info: .
Anyone who has a problem with legal immigration is silly. I think most of the outcry is coming from those who are again illegal immigration.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:58 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
I can't explain the choice of 100 million Americans. Everyone has got their reasons. Buying a house is freakin expensive. Renting is a much more reasonable option.

If you want a simple answer. Some people bust their asses more than others. Some of us just have bad role models and start down the wrong path. It's all personal choices and are really none of our business to judge.
im completely disagree. the poor financial choices of millions affectd the economy, and affects all of us. if there wasnt a bail out of businesses and home owners, wed learn real quick, but the government keeps bailing, and we keep paying for those poor choices.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:31 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by brucelee
THATS WHY
im not talking about anyone in particular, or attacking anyone on the board. sorry for bringing it up.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:36 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by wocabin

thats awesome. you are literally my hero. i hope one day i will be in your situation, and after years of bad decisions im making a serious attept to pick up the peices and turn things around.

Quick Reply: Immigrants, "Americans" and the American Dream...