if you avoided a deer and crashed the car...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 09:54 PM

Car Info: 07 2.5i Sport Wagon
Who's your insurance company AzN121184? I wanna know so I can avoid them, but I wonder if that policy is the same for any company.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:18 PM

Car Info: 98 Impreza Outback Sport
The only explaination I can think of is that they have no way of telling if you were avoiding a deer or taking a bong hit. If you hit the deer, the tufts of fur wedged in your grill and the innards cooking on your IC would kinda give it away...
Old 03-30-2004, 10:49 PM

Car Info: (2005 OBP STi - RIP), 2008 BMW M3
Awe dawg, I hope things look up for you in your near future. When I talked to you today, you looked as if there was a death in the family... but I apparently that description wasn't too far off. If I was ever to lose my subie, I would be crying forever.

Jayme
Old 03-30-2004, 11:26 PM

Car Info: '02 EJ25FXT Stage 2 "No Laggin' Wagon"
An accident resulting from avoiding an accident is the fault of the driver avoiding the accident. SAD but true. The only possible caveat would be if you had 3rd party witnesses to the fact you were trying to avoid a hazard.

Short of coming up with a banged up fender and a dead deer carcass. It's coming out of your pocket. To avoid higher insurance you may consider paying for the damage yourself.

Good luck.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:43 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRB WRX / 06 f150 King Ranch
Here are some words of wisdom for ya when it comes to insurance.

NEVER TELL THEM THE TRUTH! EVER! At any time and at any chance, they will always go cheap on you. Always. They are in it soley for the money. That's it. It sucks when all this time you pay them that hard earned cash and when you need them the most, they pull crap like that. They are just pushing some college grad bean counter's loop hole idea on you, and you had the unfortunate duty of being on the butt end of it. Good luck, and switch companies.

Paul...
Old 03-30-2004, 11:51 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
This has nothing to do with what insurance company you're with.

Another way of saying it was that you should have been driving at a speed that was safe for the conditions. If that was the case, then you would have been able to stop in time.

I have gone through the exact same situation as you and my insurance company didn't even tell me that they were going to notify the DMV and have a point added. No property other than mine was damaged and there were no injuries. Other than a GRIP of poison oak all over me for about three weeks...
Old 03-30-2004, 11:53 PM

Car Info: 98 Impreza Outback Sport
Sorry to say, but one less accident that I (and we all) have to pay for in higher insurance rates. Would you guys really prefer to pay for the damages (through higher rates) in every accident where the driver said 'there was a deer, yeah, thats the ticket, that dastardly deer!' ... when all along it was the hot box of crack smoke which diverted the drivers attention? I think not.

... After I read this, I realized I needed this addendum- I am no way implying that you or anyone on this board was trying to commit insurance fraud (It's just a fact that it happens), or smoking crack for that matter...

Last edited by scoobsport98; 03-30-2004 at 11:56 PM.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:00 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: MMVI AW WRX STI
Originally posted by Steppin Razor
This has nothing to do with what insurance company you're with.

Another way of saying it was that you should have been driving at a speed that was safe for the conditions. If that was the case, then you would have been able to stop in time.

I have gone through the exact same situation as you and my insurance company didn't even tell me that they were going to notify the DMV and have a point added. No property other than mine was damaged and there were no injuries. Other than a GRIP of poison oak all over me for about three weeks...
It sure does matter what company you're with. When I had my little *ahem* one-car-pileup with the curb, my company treated me awesomely. No DMV notification, no points, no rate hike. Oh and $8000 in damages to only my car and some ivy. Sure if I do it again EVER they'll drop me, but I'm cool for now.

And the going-too-fast argument is retarded too...deers jump out of NOWHERE. My brother-in-law had a deer jump 4 feet down ON his hood...at 1mph he couldn't have avoided it lol.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:45 AM

Car Info: civic
Originally posted by scoobsport98
The only explaination I can think of is that they have no way of telling if you were avoiding a deer or taking a bong hit. If you hit the deer, the tufts of fur wedged in your grill and the innards cooking on your IC would kinda give it away...
and how long does drug stay in your system? enough said.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:59 AM

Originally posted by supertek75
Awe dawg, I hope things look up for you in your near future. When I talked to you today, you looked as if there was a death in the family... but I apparently that description wasn't too far off. If I was ever to lose my subie, I would be crying forever.

Jayme
we talked today???

Originally posted by scoobsport98
Sorry to say, but one less accident that I (and we all) have to pay for in higher insurance rates.

nice to know that's your main concern. now my neck and back are outta place.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:01 AM

Originally posted by mexicanpizza
It sure does matter what company you're with.
i'm with AAA.
Originally posted by Solarian
Who's your insurance company AzN121184? I wanna know so I can avoid them, but I wonder if that policy is the same for any company.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:24 AM

well basically if you can't prove that you were avoiding a deer then it can go either way - but witnesses are the key - if you were truely avoiding a deer and were not speeding or breaking other laws the accident should not be your fault. It is still a collision claim, not a comp.

If I were you I would contest it. They must give you a written notice that you were at fault for the accident and usually give you an opportunity to contest in writting, that will get another adjuster or manager to review the file.

If indeed a deer jumped in front of you and you tried to avoid the deer, a good liability adjuster will not put you at fault for the accident. Esp if you are a good customer with a good record and no trends of these types of events.

Also, if you swerve to avoid another vehicle in an accident, and it was a prudent action and you can prove it, then you are not at fault for the accident either - but you will need witnesses or some other type of proof.

It does matter from insurance company to insurance company (trust me I work for one). AAA wants to put you at fault, while I won't usually put you at fault if the damage is consistant with your story...

good luck
Old 03-31-2004, 10:22 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
Originally posted by Steppin Razor

Well maybe your statement applies to going off a cliff since a cliff isn't a moving target. Deer however are moving targets and you don't know how close infront of your car, which direction and how fast they will jump and completely surprise you. Even at the speed limit accidents happen and people (and animals) die.

I don't get how you of all people can respond like that

jason
Old 03-31-2004, 10:44 AM

I see really sad cases where people die or get seriously injured trying to avoid animals... I don't like to kill animals, but better the deer than you.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by AzN121184
i'm sad.

Quick Reply: if you avoided a deer and crashed the car...