If I give up WRB MY02... what car would you get?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 01:47 AM

Car Info: a prius, a miata, & 2 m3's
The only car worth having for a dd in your list is the M3. All of them sound like money pits in terms of reliability... except maybe the 240SX if you leave it stock. Otherwise the other options are an old Toyota, old mazda with a rotary (always having to do seals or maintenance items if you don't swap to an LS series motor with comes with its own share of problems), old BMW... and they are definitely $$ to fix up and keep on the road, BMWs especially... what if you need a new set of cats to pass smog a year down the road... $$$$... new radiator... $$$... labor for a bmw??? $$$!!

I'd stick with the WRX or consider something newer. FR cars are fun, but there are very few cheap reliable FR cars worth having under $10k. The only one that comes to mind is the Miata but they are underpowered without FI and not tremendously safe as daily drivers--but neither are the other cars on your list (except MAYBE the m3 since BMWs are built pretty well) since they don't have modern (2000+) safety equipment like pretensioned belts and current generation air bags/side air bags not to mention stiff & smart chassis designs. don't believe me? check out a huge '90s volvo vs. a tiny '04 subcompact: http://youtube.com/watch?v=P0XPbydQPIo Now imagine getting hit in an AE86 by your average SUV cause some ***** on a cell phone isn't paying attention... goodbye. I know how fun RWD cars are... The cars on your list can be fun project cars/fun cars for a track or other driving activities... but in this case, considering DD requirements, I'd keep the suby or look at something newer.

Last edited by resident smurf; 12-28-2007 at 01:54 AM.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:24 AM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
I should go take a picture of the crashed/rolled AE86 in my neighbors yard. No idea why they kept it. They even beat it up a bit with something that looked like a bat.

I still don't get the AE86 thing. Ugliest cars ever. at least some of the nissan cars look decent, but then these kids put crappy tires on, and hang .99 cent store stuff animals next to the tail pipe. i've even seen the rich kids driving BMWs try to be 'cool' like the poor kids and use tigger plush dolls, or something from the disney store.

keep your WRX, let your brother find a new car.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:42 AM

Car Info: 06 STi
Originally Posted by WRBLUEballs
SO my mom told me if i give my 02 to my brother .. she is will to buy me another car... Im looking at cars like a AE86 , 240sx, 95 M3, or and FC... do yo think it would be a good idea ??? what kind of car would you get? ..

help me out i-club. =P
Ok so I have to answer this one because I was in the same boat a few weeks back. I was debating whether I should sell my car and get something else, sorta your situation since your mom is helping you out. AE86 is an awesome car and there are soo many possibilities for them, best part is that is a Toyota, and Toyota = reliable!!!! 240sx is cool if you do not live in California. Since the car does not have very many options with the KA24DE engine (turbo wise). Smog will be a pain in the but if you do the popular SR20/RB20 swaps. If you want to do aesthetic mods and use it as a daily driver, put on some bolt on mods, be happy with 170hp. Then car is good for you. The 95M3 is a BMW and old beemers are not friendly if you drive heavy footed along with small things busting a lot. When you need parts for a BMW they are moneys! The FC was my last car and I loved it so much. If you have money to maintain it, the cars great, but you will see a lot of overheating and leakage. If you blow your APEX seals you are really out of luck, cause the rebuild is as much as the car is worth. I did research and you can build an LS(X) Powered FC for around 8-9k and those are cool. You can smog those since the engine is newer than the vehicle and if you maintain smog equipment you can pass it. I would talk to a state ref first before you go and buy it all. So really the AE86 is good if you want a cool sporty car that has endless modding capabilites. Looks to me by your car choices you want a rear wheel drive, possibly a drift car? So good luck on your decision you dont have to listen to me. This is all personal experience and do your own research. Find out what is best for your needs/wants.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:31 AM

Car Info: WRB 18g + Meth (sold) 07 BMW 335i coupe
how about a used s2k?
Old 12-28-2007, 10:44 AM

Car Info: FUPA RIDER!
hmm i already have plans for all the cars i listed... haha .. if i get the 240sx i want to build a ka24 stroker kit =P gotta love those iron blocks .. if i get an ae86 i want to do a 20v .. I'm already looking at motors for an rx7 and if i get m3 i'm going to leave it stock and just do suspension and brakes..

but the good thing about this is im not giving my car away... just letting him borrow it for a little while .. so i can fix his car.. all i have to do for his car is change the alternator,starter, belts, and pop the window back in place. so its nothing really big... and plus when its done.. i get my02 back and another car to have fun in =P so in the end i get two cars .. hmm so temping
Old 12-28-2007, 10:47 AM

although i love s2k's theres something about them i dont like ... =P but if it had a mugen hard top with a gt35r =P i would get it haha .. but i think i would have more fun in a miata spec through twistys =P
Old 12-28-2007, 10:50 AM

but the down side.. is that .. i still pay for my car while he drives her =( hahah
Old 12-28-2007, 11:05 AM

Car Info: 06 STi
Originally Posted by WRBLUEballs
hmm i already have plans for all the cars i listed... haha .. if i get the 240sx i want to build a ka24 stroker kit =P gotta love those iron blocks .. if i get an ae86 i want to do a 20v .. I'm already looking at motors for an rx7 and if i get m3 i'm going to leave it stock and just do suspension and brakes..

but the good thing about this is im not giving my car away... just letting him borrow it for a little while .. so i can fix his car.. all i have to do for his car is change the alternator,starter, belts, and pop the window back in place. so its nothing really big... and plus when its done.. i get my02 back and another car to have fun in =P so in the end i get two cars .. hmm so temping
Well that changes the whole thing. if you dont need to "RELY" on the car you get then all of them sound good to me All great cars, just not the best to rely on as a daily driver.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Wrx2fast4ufool
Well that changes the whole thing. if you dont need to "RELY" on the car you get then all of them sound good to me All great cars, just not the best to rely on as a daily driver.

haha .. yah non of these cars wont be a daily driver.. ill just probley drive it everyday cause i feel like it =P ... but yah ... i would still have my girl Kristen just wont see her for a couple of weeks
Old 12-28-2007, 11:26 AM
BAM9 Ladies choice Carshow winner

Car Info: 13 FR-S/05 STI
he doesn't want my accord?
Old 12-28-2007, 06:30 PM

sorry bro ... no he doesnt... he cant pay monthly, he still has loans to pay

Last edited by WRBLUEballs; 12-29-2007 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:51 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
I gave up my wrb bugeye for an STi.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:11 AM

Car Info: 06 GDB dirty white
actually FC's are more reliable than FD's (engine wise)
Old 12-29-2007, 01:39 AM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Originally Posted by Eckshero
actually FC's are more reliable than FD's (engine wise)
At least the naturally aspirated ones are.

I'd get the cleanest FC you can get your hands on. Always loved those cars.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:08 AM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
Originally Posted by wrxtunerd
get rid of the wrx. the other cars are in a whole other class.
fixd haha the way i see it, unless you love to drive in dirt like me...thats the only thing keeping my RS love alive

Quick Reply: If I give up WRB MY02... what car would you get?