Idiot truck drivers on i-5?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 10:10 AM
more than meets the eye

Car Info: ?
it's the norm
Old 03-23-2004, 10:16 AM

Car Info: 96 Chevy Impala SS, 06 GMC 2500HD (former 02 WRX)
It's the norm. Thank the idiotic truck speed limit (55 MPH) in CA for that one. In states where trucks are allowed to go the same speed as cars, this problem doesn't exist....
Old 03-23-2004, 10:29 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
every semi driver is an idiot piece of ****. I hate those ****ing guys. When I was coming home from Vegas a guy nearly killed me - he changed lanes in front of me, so I went to go around him and he swerved over and blocked both lanes. I nearly hit him.

I think that truckers all have a picture of my car in their cab and when they see me they attempt to kill me.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:30 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Sometimes the truck drivers do it on purpose. My friend's brother is a truck driver and drives mostly from LA to San Diego back and forth and got sick of having ricers (any japanese car with exhaust apparently) and will cut them off for no damn reason except to slow them down. My friend told me this and it pissed me off so bad.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:45 AM

Car Info: 04 WRX STi - Aspen White
its a bi***h to drive a big truck like that. you are in a nimble small fast car.
aint no thing to just let them pass and then you can zoom past them again.
i came up from LA 2 weekends ago, and truckers do the same thing, they are mostly alert of the cars behind them (most of the time), even its sometimes anoying to be behind them while the pass, its no big deal.

who i am afraid of is the U-Haul weekend rentals on the 24'FT truck. think about it, monther of two who has never driven anything bigger than a Civic going 70 down the fwy.

stay alert out there.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:48 AM
VIP Member

Yea don't get me wrong. I got no problems with one big rig passing another and then getting back over. What I do have a problem with is when one changes lanes in front of me for no damn reason.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:03 AM

Car Info: Broken ass stock '02 WRX
i highly respect truck drivers... they are THE best drivers on the road (in general). and for good reason, they go through all kinds of training in schools. plus they put in crazy long hours behind the wheel, try doing that then ***** about "idiot truck drivers" (im not trying to start flame war... just throwing in my $.02)

Last edited by Keisatsu; 03-23-2004 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:18 AM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
The problem I have on I-5 is the parade of stupid idiots in sedans and SUV's that get in the left lane like 4 feet from each others bumpers and cruise at 75 MPH.

So those of us with the courtesy to use the right lane when its clear and the left lane only for passing can get trapped if we come upon slower traffic while one of these caravans of doom are hogging the passing lane.

They all deserve to die horrible flaming deaths in a massive pile-up.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:20 AM

Car Info: 2003 Silver WRX Sedan, 1982 Corvette Collectors Ed.
As a commercial driver myself, I must come in and defend the truck drivers.

Many times what may appear to be a "for no reason" maneuver to a car behind a truck, is actually for a reason. Commonly the random lane change has to do with wind. The average trailer on the road now is 13' high and 53' long - well lets just say it doesn't take much wind to push them hard...so if there appears to be room they will let the rig drift into the other lane rather than fight the gust (this makes it more likely to wreck).

The key to that statement is "appears to be room." The truck driver is looking an a mirror to see you - he can't look over his shoulder...now mind you he is looking at your car which is 5' tall in a 5"x10" mirror from 8' above the road 65-70' in front of you...

Really merging is a bit of a guessing game in commercial vehicles when judging the speed of an approaching car.

I have over 10,000 hours behind the wheel of commercial vehicles and have driver well over 1/2 million miles commercially. I am also a Federal Department of Transportation and Federal Transit Administration certified instructor...so although I get pissed at trucks when I'm in my WRX give them a brake and some extra space...

also remember that if you eat it, use it, wear it, or bought it - chances are it got there on a truck.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:27 AM
VIP Member

Originally posted by robb
As a commercial driver myself, I must come in and defend the truck drivers.

Many times what may appear to be a "for no reason" maneuver to a car behind a truck, is actually for a reason. Commonly the random lane change has to do with wind. The average trailer on the road now is 13' high and 53' long - well lets just say it doesn't take much wind to push them hard...so if there appears to be room they will let the rig drift into the other lane rather than fight the gust (this makes it more likely to wreck).

The key to that statement is "appears to be room." The truck driver is looking an a mirror to see you - he can't look over his shoulder...now mind you he is looking at your car which is 5' tall in a 5"x10" mirror from 8' above the road 65-70' in front of you...

Really merging is a bit of a guessing game in commercial vehicles when judging the speed of an approaching car.

I have over 10,000 hours behind the wheel of commercial vehicles and have driver well over 1/2 million miles commercially. I am also a Federal Department of Transportation and Federal Transit Administration certified instructor...so although I get pissed at trucks when I'm in my WRX give them a brake and some extra space...

also remember that if you eat it, use it, wear it, or bought it - chances are it got there on a truck.
So you are one of these bastards.

j/k
Old 03-23-2004, 11:30 AM

Car Info: 2003 Silver WRX Sedan, 1982 Corvette Collectors Ed.
Originally posted by bluwrxwgn
So you are one of these bastards.

j/k
Whatever "MR. I drive an automatic Grocery Getter."

J/k...sup man...
Old 03-23-2004, 11:39 AM
Straight as an arrow

Car Info: The Fit is gone!
Not all truck lane changes are for no reason. When I was coming back from picking my friend up in LA, it was around 1AM and I was going well above the speed limit when a truck decided to pass the one infront of it, but when it was almost past the truck on the left he slowed down a little as not to pass him. I started getting a little aggrivated that it was taking so long to pass, but then we passed a CHP waiting on the shoulder. After passing him, the truck sped up and moved over. If he hadn't done that, I probably would have gotten a ticket or worse if i had still been going over 100 then. MY friends mom had a similar experience as well. As Mel Gibson said in Signs, "There are no coincidences, everythign happens for a reason"
Old 03-23-2004, 11:49 AM

Car Info: 04 rally blue wrx sedan
I drove truck for 2 years right outta high school and its not an easy job! As Robb said random lane changes are part of the job and making sure you get your rig and your load to the destination safely is constantly on a truck drivers mind.

I stay clear away from trucks now for this reason and to keep my sube safe from the rocks these trucks hurl at nearby cars.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:20 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
that is why i bring my spear gun with a rope on it. When they give me funk i just shoot it at their front window then i shimmy up it and steal their loads.

Quick Reply: Idiot truck drivers on i-5?