I think it's time for another North Bay meet!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 10:34 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRB WRX / 06 f150 King Ranch
Come on you guys. Let's get it together. More people please!

Paul...
Old 02-20-2003, 11:05 PM

Man, I wish they would make this sticky so I don't have to bump it so much. The thread gets lost in the cracks too fast. BAIC is just to damn busy.

Paul...
Old 02-20-2003, 11:18 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
hahaha, at least it's not in the nasioc avalanche!
Old 02-21-2003, 01:21 AM

Car Info: Nissan S14 240sx
how definite are the plans to have the meet there?

the 121/128 run up into the lake area is a fun run... up and downhill, lots of turns (i don't recall any major hairpin types unless your coming from napa over the ridge where there isn't any guardrails, take care if your unfamiliar with that area... from fairfield its ok nothing big until u reach 121)
Old 02-21-2003, 03:10 AM

Any date set yet?
Old 02-21-2003, 09:10 AM

Location: At the store trading the box of tissue in on some brawny!
Car Info: Platinum 02 WRX, Progress springs,JIC Bullet exhaust , STI shifter, Accessecu, Rota Sub Zero
Smile I'm in...maybe.

Sounds like a good idea .As long as it's not on the weekend of the 29th or 30th of this month. Me and the wife can be up for a romp through the country with all of you ! Of course I won't bank on it since everytime a wine country drive gets set up it always ends up being when I am on call...maybe this time I'll get lucky!
Let us know what you come up with.
JV
PS , maybe we could start out at our very own Krispy Kreme!It would be a milestone for the north bay!

Last edited by cohlineman; 02-21-2003 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-21-2003, 12:33 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Sedan
some good road suggestions

I've roamed all over Northern Cal since I started driving 18yr ago.....looking for killer roads. Here's some of my favorites, if you guys don't already know about them.

1. Highway 35/Highway 9 from Half-Moon Bay area to Santa Cruz. It may be a bit too far south for some of you, but I promise it's worth the drive. Early Saturday mornings are the best.

2. Highway 128 west from 101 through Boonville (stop at Anderson Valley Brewing for the BEST beer around!) out to Highway 1.

3. This one is a killer: Highway 36 from 101 (near Fortuna, Humboldt County) all the way to Red Bluff (intersection with Highway 5). This is a long, tight and twisty run, lots of elevation. I did this one last October on a cold day and it was a blast.

4. SR162 (warning, much of this is unpaved dirt and gravel) east from Laytonville, Highway 101 through Covelo, up and over the Coast Range to Highway 5 near Thunder Hill. I spent some time up there camping with some friends, unfortunately, I was without my WRX though!

5. Highway 25 from Hollister to Los Gatos Creek road (1 lane for about 50miles) through to Coalinga. Again, this might be a far drive for North Bay guys, but if you have the time, try this loop! Take 25 off of 101 south in Gilroy, go through Hollister to Pinnalces Ntl Monument. The road is like glass through this stretch, lots of long 120mph+ straights, lots of fast, on-camber turns. About 6 miles past entrance to Pinnacles, on your left is the intersection with Los Gatos Creek Rd. Take this for 50miles or so to Coalinga. Its one lane, tight and very twisty. From Coalinga, take 198 west up through the Diablo Range and in about 40miles you'll meet up with 25 north, which you can take back to the Bay Area. Going north, you'll find lots of open straights set in idyllic farm country. No better scenery or road I've found yet.

have fun, and hope to meet up with you guys sometime
Jim Ratto
San Leandro CA
Old 02-21-2003, 03:55 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Re: some good road suggestions

Originally posted by jimr
3. This one is a killer: Highway 36 from 101 (near Fortuna, Humboldt County) all the way to Red Bluff (intersection with Highway 5). This is a long, tight and twisty run, lots of elevation. I did this one last October on a cold day and it was a blast.
From what I've read and heard, that is THE road to drive. According to Pashnit.com, it's the best road he's ever ridden on, because it has no cuts- it just follows the contours of the land exactly. There's even still some places where you will get airborne, bottom out, and get airborne again within seconds of each other! We must get a group up there sometime.
Old 02-21-2003, 03:57 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Originally posted by cohlineman
As long as it's not on the weekend of the 29th or 30th of this month.

JV, you might wanna double-check your calendar...

--
^ww^
"…axles of evil…" - George W. Bush
Old 02-21-2003, 04:15 PM

Car Info: Platinum 02 WRX, Progress springs,JIC Bullet exhaust , STI shifter, Accessecu, Rota Sub Zero
oops!

That wold be the 8th and 9th of March that I can't make it!
Damn those itty bitty check book calendars , yeah , that's what it was!I would never forget that February only has 28 days in it...
and to think they entrust me with heavy equipment and electricity!
Thank you Wingless Wonder , that was pretty embarrasing.
Old 02-21-2003, 04:30 PM

Car Info: Nissan S14 240sx
has there ever been a time any group could legally close down some road that goes in the middle of nowhere for some driving fun? i know its a long shot... but i've never heard of anything like that happening

thanks for those suggestions of top nor-cal roads... i'm gonna have to check them out sometime
Old 02-21-2003, 06:16 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Sedan
Smile have fun

Enjoy yourself.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:24 PM

Hey all! It looks like the Sunday the 16th of March is the best day for me to go. It is far enough in advance to plan it off from work and such. I cant make it on the 9th. My car has to go to Shiv for more tuning. That will allow me a full week of tweeking if I need it for the 16. So, how about it. Should we make the plans final for the 16th? In the morning. Same meeting place //Santa Rosa Market Place// as usual. I like the St Helena road route to St Helena or Oakville Grade to Oakville and accross the valley to 128 and up the hill to the lake. Then meet up at Oak Flats or someting and back through Pope Valley and down through Angwin and back home.

Paul...
Old 02-22-2003, 09:41 AM

Thumbs up Oh yeah

The 16th sounds good to me, I might not be able to keep up but i'll get wherever you're going eventually!Sounds like a very nice drive.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:59 PM

Well? How many more???

Quick Reply: I think it's time for another North Bay meet!