I saw a motorcycle disintegrate in front of me...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 09:29 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
Unhappy I saw a motorcycle disintegrate in front of me...

Last night on my way home NB99 in Stockton just before Morada...

For those of you who are familiar with the area, it was right after the two lanes open to three. I was in the middle lane, two bikes passed me doing about 80. No big deal. They weren't too far ahead of me when I saw one of the bikes wander right, then veer left. Still no big deal, just a bike casually weaving in their lane...

Until they kept going left... off the road into the median. There isn't really a median there, just bushes and a cable, like 580 in Livermore.

All I saw was a huge cloud of dust and then a bike came shooting out spinning like a top on it's side. Body work shattered scattering across all lanes. I saw the semi next to me lock up and kinda fish-tail. I gunned it to get away from him and pulled over next to the accident.

The female rider had gotten up by then and was all pissed off (probably thinking about her bike first) pulled off her jacket and helmet and was walking around. I was on the cell to 911. By the time I turned around to check how she was again, there was 10+ people around her. Her riding partner had stopped and ran back to her. She was now sitting on the ground, adrenaline wearing off quickly...

I think she was okay for the most part. She was wearing full leathers. I think she was incredibly lucky that there was no one around them when she went down, and that she didn't get decapitated by the cable median...

Bleh, I'll never get a bike because I know I would kill myself... this just kills the urge I get every once in a while to get a bike. I hate seeing stuff like this... gets me all anxious. I'm just glad she was okay.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: I got a couple :)
I could give her a complete physical exam.. errr ahhhemmm !!! is she cute..

that is why I dont ride anymore. I dont want to be a donor..

Old 07-30-2004, 09:42 AM
VIP Member

Talking

You could try, but she was a BIG woman. When they passed me, I thought the woman was a man and the man was a woman.

Love seeing those little guys with big women...
Old 07-30-2004, 10:10 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
that just happened to my girl friend in Santa Cruz...same exact thing pretty much. She just missed hitting both the rider and the bike. Person got up fine.

It's amazing what a nice set of leathers will do for you> Long as you don't get run over and don't go strait into a wall you usually get up ok.

I saw pictures of my buddy go down at between 140-150mph. on a track of course..he just got up and got really pissed. i've seen some major wreck after math and the people get up for the most part ok.

And I've seen some semi minor stuff with people wearing no leathers and the people got worked.

I'm glad the girl was ok...she probably just went into shock. It's got to be freakin scary to go down like that...wonder what happened.

I'm in the same boat...no motorcycles for me. I am too damned crazy.

Best that I'll ever get is an enduro or a fat tire custom bike in like 10 years.haaa. Sport bike equals dead Ray. seriously.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:48 AM

Car Info: Red 04 WRX Wagon
When I was a volunteer firefighter years ago, our chief was a police detective for one of the local towns near my hometown. One day I am hanging at the fire station and he comes over and tells us about this motorcycle accident he just worked on.

Some inexperienced rider had one of those high power Japanese bikes. He took it out on his street right in front of his house, started it up and accelerated. After about 40 yards he lost control and flew off the bike. After landing on the ground his abdomen / lower torso opened up and spilled his small intestins all over the road. My chief said they stretched nearly 50 yards down the road.

Ugh what a bad way to go.
Could you imagine being the EMT who had to clean that up.
Naasty.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:03 AM
VIP Member

Yeah, I don't know. Couldn't really tell what happened myself. It didn't look like she lost control or anything. Like I said, just look like she was casually weaving across the lane.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:16 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
they should put seatbelts on motorcycles. it would give darwin a performance boost.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:41 PM

Hopefuly she will reconsider her choice of hobbies. Glad to hear she made it OK though.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:44 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
OOOoooooh.... can you imagine?

Originally Posted by Red Bar0n
When I was a volunteer firefighter years ago, our chief was a police detective for one of the local towns near my hometown. One day I am hanging at the fire station and he comes over and tells us about this motorcycle accident he just worked on.

Some inexperienced rider had one of those high power Japanese bikes. He took it out on his street right in front of his house, started it up and accelerated. After about 40 yards he lost control and flew off the bike. After landing on the ground his abdomen / lower torso opened up and spilled his small intestins all over the road. My chief said they stretched nearly 50 yards down the road.

Ugh what a bad way to go.
Could you imagine being the EMT who had to clean that up.
Naasty.
Old 07-30-2004, 03:40 PM

Car Info: 2002 Nightmare WRX
Originally Posted by ryball
Yeah, I don't know. Couldn't really tell what happened myself. It didn't look like she lost control or anything. Like I said, just look like she was casually weaving across the lane.
She prolly fell asleep. Sounds like they may have been on a long ride that got ended rather abruptly. Talk about a rude awakening...