I need to purchase a few bullet proof vests

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 10:01 PM

Car Info: 02 Silver WRX sedan. Eibach springs, Blitz NUR cat back, Rota 17" Attacks, Cobb AccessPort/DP
Same area or same hole?

Originally Posted by c32c7
All body armor becomes useless after taking about 2 shots in the same area anyways. And most people shooting at you aren't just gonna shoot once. I suggest your brother invest in a good rifle and some running shoes and stick with the vest he's got.
Some of my buddies from work and I went out for a day of shooting. I brought one of my very old Safari Land level II-A vests. This thing was about 15 years old. I bought it used a few years back. Really thin vest and comfortable.

We shot this thing about 15 times at a distance of about 7 yards with calibers ranging from 9mm to .45. It stopped everything. We're all really good shots and the grouping was tight. So unless you fired in the exact same place multiple times it ain't getting through. Then I took my buddies M14 socom variant and it penetrated both sides of the vest and trauma plate like it was made out of paper. After we blasted away at it for a while the vest was unrecognizable.

If you want to stop rifle rounds you need something that can hold a ballistic plate. Most tactical vests are set up for that. Of course you could just take your vest carrier to a seamstress and have them make a custom pouch front and back to hold plates. Keep in mind, even the newest ceramic plates are heavy and uncomfortable. Of course this only protects your sternum and the center of your back...everything else is fair game for a rifle round.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:52 PM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
Originally Posted by Chrisnonstop
Some of my buddies from work and I went out for a day of shooting. I brought one of my very old Safari Land level II-A vests. This thing was about 15 years old. I bought it used a few years back. Really thin vest and comfortable.

We shot this thing about 15 times at a distance of about 7 yards with calibers ranging from 9mm to .45. It stopped everything. We're all really good shots and the grouping was tight. So unless you fired in the exact same place multiple times it ain't getting through. Then I took my buddies M14 socom variant and it penetrated both sides of the vest and trauma plate like it was made out of paper. After we blasted away at it for a while the vest was unrecognizable.

If you want to stop rifle rounds you need something that can hold a ballistic plate. Most tactical vests are set up for that. Of course you could just take your vest carrier to a seamstress and have them make a custom pouch front and back to hold plates. Keep in mind, even the newest ceramic plates are heavy and uncomfortable. Of course this only protects your sternum and the center of your back...everything else is fair game for a rifle round.
lol..dont take this guys word

I worked with a prof. in the ballistics lab at berkeley, newer body armor is designed to take 1 shot really, basically the mesh inside the vest bunches up to absorb the energy of the bullet, sortta like catching a ball in a net
Old 01-06-2007, 11:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
http://www.pinnaclearmor.com/body-armor/dragon-skin.php
Old 01-07-2007, 10:50 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 07' AW 335i & 05' WD Escalade
demz pplz is from my hood.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: I got a couple :)

thanks dre

gino

ucbsti....I know what ya mean man. lol.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:10 PM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
I saw that on Future Weapons the other night. Good stuff.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:20 PM

Car Info: 02 Silver WRX sedan. Eibach springs, Blitz NUR cat back, Rota 17" Attacks, Cobb AccessPort/DP
First hand experience...

Originally Posted by ucbsti
lol..dont take this guys word

I worked with a prof. in the ballistics lab at berkeley, newer body armor is designed to take 1 shot really, basically the mesh inside the vest bunches up to absorb the energy of the bullet, sortta like catching a ball in a net

I can only report on what I have first hand experience with. I agree that new body armor is designed to take one shot from a round listed in it's level of protection. This is so that an Officer that's been peppered with rounds can't sue when a few of those rounds end up zipping through the vest.

However, I do speak from first hand experience. I actually did this. Not someone I know, or someone I was standing next to, it was me, my gun, and my buddies guns. I challenge anyone with a vest to shoot it multiple times over with rounds it's designated to protect against...report back here and tell us all what the results are.

Oh yea...lol.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:26 PM

Yea,...that stuff is pretty awesome...I've never had the chance to see if first hand though. I've only heard good things about it.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:34 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
I think brucelee probably has a lot of info on good bullet proof vests
Old 01-07-2007, 12:35 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 07 Car
Originally Posted by MBasile
I think brucelee probably has a lot of info on good bullet proof vests
Oh yeah i forgot about this guy he will def know
Old 01-07-2007, 05:54 PM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
23. Your number one option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
That should be #1.