I need a gun

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 02:16 AM

Car Info: EQ tuned 05 STi
I need a gun

So about 2 weeks ago my parents and I became victims of a home invasion robbery. I used to be against having guns in my g house but having a gun pointed at my face in my own room and seeing a gun being pointed at my parents has changed my mind.

so I'm looking for advice anyone here know the steps I needed to take to obtain a gun permit and recommendations on a good affordable hand gun. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:20 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: non subarus
get your HSC and wait 10 days! good luck
Old 10-07-2010, 04:33 AM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

no offense dude...

but having a gun and in your situation means alot more.

just because you have a gun, doesnt mean you will automatically stop a home invasion like that.

you will need lots and lots of training. a change in your mindset.

did i mention lots of training?

it also means having that firearm at your side 24/7, if you really wanna be ready for the next attack.

and if you are sure there's gonna a next attack, maybe a change of location is needed?

can i recommend you watch a few gun related tv shows. on the OUTDOOR channel, on wednesday nites, they run like 6-7 shows. but only a couple are for self defense and stuff.

on the SPIKE channel, saturday mornings, they have a 4 show block. all are about self defense and gun ownership. some shows also include hand to hand self defense, or knife based ones.

sorry you and your family got home invaded like that. i would not want that on anyone. but if you are not properly trained on using a firearm for self defense, you may wanna rethink things...

good luck.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:28 AM

Car Info: EQ Tuned * Corn Juiced '05 WRX
First off, I am glad to know you're okay and nothing happened.

Like the 1st guy said, HSC (handgun safety course). You can literally walk into any weapons shop and take the test then and there. You won't need to study for it because it is really common sense (one question is something like "Where do you point a gun: into a crowd, in your mouth, at your friend, in a safe direction...")

If you can't pass the test, then you shouldn't own a handgun. The 2nd guy is right as well; just because you own a weapon doesn't mean you're ready to use it. You need to train yourself both mentally and physically to use it. A very good way to do that would be to train yourself to recognize an attack like that and time yourself how long it takes you to gain access to your weapon to being locked and loaded and at the point of eliminating the threat. Watch some youtube videos on room clearing tactics and things like that.

As for the type of handgun, we can't tell you which one to get. We can recommend certain ones depending on what you are looking for. 9MM is your basic handgun with sufficient stopping power to a 40 cal to 45 cal. And depending on the type of ammunition you get, you either have full metal jacket or hallow jacket. The best thing to do is to go to the weapons shop and ask them which handgun/rifle/shotgun they recommend. Ask to hold each one and get a feel for them. Once you obtain a weapon, I highly recommend you make the investment into a tac light for nighttime use. Surefire is your best bet.

Best thing any of us can tell you, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE...because what good is owning a weapon if you don't even know how to shoot it?

Any questions, feel free to PM me.

Goodluck bro and stay safe!
Old 10-07-2010, 07:45 AM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
A shotgun may be a good idea for you. You won't have to be careful that you don't shoot a bullet through the wall and hit a family member in the next room or having a stray bullet fly out the window and hitting your neighbor.

Plus, they're relatively cheap, easy to use, and have immense stopping power at close range. So, that's also an option for you.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:35 AM

Car Info: 2002 Black Subaru WRX Sedan Stage 2
+1 for the shotgun. I've only ever shot the M1014, and they're so easy to use it's like a toy. I'm pretty sure those might be illegal for civilians though. If you do go that route, try and make sure the barrel isn't too long (and, if legal, get a collapsable butt-stock), because you don't need the accuracy of the long barrel and you don't want it poking out past the doorways before you walk through. That's a good way to get your head blown off. You also might want to look into rubber bullets (won't stain the carpet).

But seriously, it would only make sense if you had that, and some kind of alarm on your house so you can get it out before someone gets to wherever you're at. Also might want to think about the fact that most home invasions have more than one person involved, so you're going to have to deal with both of them before they deal with you. Lots of practice at a range would probably help you with that. I've also never been to a civilian range but I'm guessing someplace out there does moving targets, etc. Get used to sighting and shooting quickly. It's harder than you might think, and way different than a video game.

They're probably going to be much less hesitant to shoot you, so you have to seriously ask yourself "am I capable of pulling the trigger?" DON'T pull out a gun trying to scare off criminals. That's how people get killed in home invasions. If you're going to go for a gun, you better take the shot as soon as you make contact. Otherwise it's safer not having it at all.

Personally I choose not to own a gun. I'd rather let them take everything I own than risk my life trying to give them what's coming to them. Most thieves don't want to kill anyone, they just want your stuff. My stuff isn't worth my life.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:45 AM

Car Info: FR-S + WRB Bugeye.
Speaking of home invasions, theres been quite a few around my neighborhood as well. The other night someone threw a rock at my mothers bedroom window, I had shoes on my feet, glock in hand and a flashlight withing 20 seconds. Went searching for a punk kid but found nothing. But I've had lots of training as well as a military back ground.

+1,000,000 for training and muscle memory
Old 10-07-2010, 08:50 AM

Car Info: EQ tuned 05 STi
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am aware that I will need training and I'm willing to put time in at the range and I know it wont eliminate the threat of an attack but it will give me some peace of mind knowing that im somewhat prepared.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:02 AM

Car Info: 2002 Black Subaru WRX Sedan Stage 2
Also, keep your **** clean. Especially if you go with something like an AR-15 (never shot one, but I imagine they're like an M-16 basically). They jam like you wouldn't believe. And on that note, learn how to clear a jam quick. Sometimes the shell casings will get caught in the ejection port of the upper receiver and the gun won't cokc (<-filter blocked the correct spelling, hahaha) all the way.

You might want to read this, if you're going with a pistol:

http://www.pointshooting.com/freemar.pdf

That's what we use in the marine corps to teach pistol marksmanship. There's a similar one for rifles. Never saw a shotgun one, but basically the same as the rifle.

Good to know you're willing to put in the time to get the muscle memory down. Most people don't.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:14 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Ar for ho.e protection and your first gun... genius.

Get a shotgun. A pump 870 is all you need. Fire a handgun in the wrong direction and you put it through the wall and in a relative.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:17 AM

Car Info: bugeye
Get a howitzer.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:19 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by xdeathwishx
Also, keep your **** clean. Especially if you go with something like an AR-15 (never shot one, but I imagine they're like an M-16 basically). They jam like you wouldn't believe. And on that note, learn how to clear a jam quick. Sometimes the shell casings will get caught in the ejection port of the upper receiver and the gun won't cokc (<-filter blocked the correct spelling, hahaha) all the way.

You might want to read this, if you're going with a pistol:

http://www.pointshooting.com/freemar.pdf

That's what we use in the marine corps to teach pistol marksmanship. There's a similar one for rifles. Never saw a shotgun one, but basically the same as the rifle.

Good to know you're willing to put in the time to get the muscle memory down. Most people don't.
Huh??
I can't ever remembering any of the various AR-15s/M-16s I've shot jamming.

Oh, wait...you're a jarhead.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:19 AM
NSM

Car Info: '07 STi
My oh crap gun is a S&W 357 revolver shooting 38s (in case my wife needs it). No misfires. I have plenty of other fun guns (including a couple race guns) in the collection, but the revolver is dead bang every time.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:43 AM

Car Info: FR-S + WRB Bugeye.
Yeah I'm with Paul. I put a little over 1k rounds through my M4 in a few hours when training in a ****ty desert in Iraq. No jams once so ever. And never had a jam in any enemy engagements either. Keep it clean yes, but they can hold their own.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:45 AM

Car Info: 2007 silver STI
Im going to go against my better judgement and put in my 2 cents here... Let me start by saying I have no problem with guns. I have shot guns, and at some point will probably own them. they are great for hunting and target practice and whatever... in your situation though, chances are having a gun would have made the situation worse. its horrible what you and your family went through, and i wouldnt wish that on anyone, but you are all alive.. had you pulled a gun in that situation, it PROBABLY would have gotten ugly. ESPECIALLY if you didnt have EXTENSIVE training. not to mention the fact that YOU could have gotten in trouble for it. lets just for the sake of argument say you were able to shoot all the invaders... you might think "they came into MY house, im in the clear" the problem is, SOME lawyer SOMEWHERE will figure out a way to bring it back on you. if people can sue for spilling hot coffee in their own lap, and getting injured while breaking into someones house, you sure as hell can be held accountable for shooting someone. if you still feel the necessity to get a gun, as other people have suggested, i would go for a shotgun. its "safer" than a handgun, for the same reasons other people have stated.

Quick Reply: I need a gun