I need the baic help!!! ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 11:41 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: e39
Originally Posted by WOTWRX
I'm in the same boat as well...I want to sell my car but I doubt it will pass smog. I don't really have the time to part out the car and put it back to stock.

Also...if the CPU was reflashed wouldn't the OBDII conection show "not ready"?
I had a friend have that problem after he went back to stock. He was unable to smog the car because they couldn't connect to his computer...it would always show "not ready". He ended up trading the car in.
no the obdII conection should be no problem. I've been sent to the stateref in the past and have pass with flying colors but that was with my vf30 setup and I had a tmic. But my setup is different now though. Another thing I was thinking about was if someone was buying my car because it was modded and knew it didn't need to be smogged then whats the problem? Especially since most likely if they got a stock car they would most likely end up modding it anyways and probably end up spending more money and be in the same situation most of us are in! Don't you guys agree?
Old 10-05-2007, 11:48 AM

Car Info: 2003 White WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by tamashi523
no the obdII conection should be no problem. I've been sent to the stateref in the past and have pass with flying colors but that was with my vf30 setup and I had a tmic. But my setup is different now though. Another thing I was thinking about was if someone was buying my car because it was modded and knew it didn't need to be smogged then whats the problem? Especially since most likely if they got a stock car they would most likely end up modding it anyways and probably end up spending more money and be in the same situation most of us are in! Don't you guys agree?
Wow...so I should be able to pass with my VF34, catted d/p and stock tmic(plus supporting mods of course)?
I agree...unfortunatly its tough finding a buyer that wants a car that comes complete with mods. I put my car up for sale and it seems everyone was just interested in the parts... the even said "I will not part out". Good luck on your sale.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:58 AM

Car Info: DGM 14 BRZ
Wow...so I should be able to pass with my VF34, catted d/p and stock tmic(plus supporting mods of course)?
I agree...unfortunatly its tough finding a buyer that wants a car that comes complete with mods. I put my car up for sale and it seems everyone was just interested in the parts... the even said "I will not part out". Good luck on your sale.

if its a aftermarket down pipe its a fail.there are no ARB approved downpipes at this point

some aftermarket maps/tuning will cause monitor readyness issues
Old 10-05-2007, 11:59 AM

Car Info: 2012 Honda Civic Si
honestly, you'd be better off selling it to someone else....
Old 10-05-2007, 12:01 PM
VIP Member

yes you lucky guy you will pass but put your stock dp and stock catback on ur car before u smog!

Originally Posted by tonuprocker
if its a aftermarket down pipe its a fail.there are no ARB approved downpipes at this point

some aftermarket maps/tuning will cause monitor readyness issues
ur right about the dp but what do u mean about the other comment? Since ur the smog tech teach me! hahaha thanks
Old 10-05-2007, 12:01 PM

Car Info: 2012 Honda Civic Si
or, what you can do is tell them that you'll include the stock parts and it's up to them to smog the car...thats what i had to do with my GTI when i sold it
Old 10-05-2007, 12:47 PM

Car Info: DGM 14 BRZ
Originally Posted by tamashi523
yes you lucky guy you will pass but put your stock dp and stock catback on ur car before u smog!

ur right about the dp but what do u mean about the other comment? Since ur the smog tech teach me! hahaha thanks

im also a smog tech thats supposed to be on vacation lol,and here i am answering smog questions

there are basically 2 parts of the obd2 functional test for smog purposes

1st is emmisions related hard codes/MIL pretty straight forward on that if you have a code/MIL on its a fail

2nd is obd2 self test monitors basically there are little watchdog programs that
monitor the emmissions components efficiency,each one functions on its own schedule, the smog machine displays the moitors and makes sure they are functioning, you are allowed 2 of the monitors to be incomplete,because some like the evap monitor do not run there cycle as often,if the batterey is disconected they all will have to start over with thier drive cycles and will all show incomplete

now heres were its hazey for me i understand the basics of tuning through the ecm/pcm reflashing etc. but not enough to tell you how the many different programs affect the monitor system,im under the impression different monitors are manipulated and fooled to keep the system in order wich in some cases has caused a fail/monitor readyness issue
Old 10-05-2007, 01:23 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Wiggles
or, what you can do is tell them that you'll include the stock parts and it's up to them to smog the car...thats what i had to do with my GTI when i sold it
i'll try it!
Old 10-07-2007, 03:05 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
If I were you, I would find a buyer that actually knew what they were getting into.

There are WAY too many variables here that can make this situation a giant pain in the ***.

That being said, why are you selling it? This is the 2.0 that made over 300 hp/tq right?
Old 10-08-2007, 01:58 AM

Car Info: SGM 135i
yea, dont put your car back to stock. I just went through swapping out my turbo, injectors, fuel pump. It's so damn depressing ... *sigh*.