I know there are bike riders in the BAIC

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 09:30 PM

I know there are bike riders in the BAIC

Well I am going thought the classes with CA.R.E and I should be done by this weekend. Well I am shooping for a bike as well because I want to start riding. I am looking for a CBR 600 F3 or F4 or if any of you have something for sale let me know

I dont want to spend more than $3000
Old 02-16-2005, 10:30 PM

Car Info: Mr2 Turbo
www.craigslist.org

www.bayarearidersforum.com

www.cycletrader.com

good luck.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:34 PM

Is this your first motorcycle? If so, a F3 or F4 is a really poor choice, as is any 600-class sportbike. The best thing is to start out on a standard, like the Suzuki GS500 or the Ninja 500. They're both faster than almost any production 4-wheeled vehicle under $100,000, yet won't get you into the kind of trouble a 600cc supersport bike will.

When you eventually crash, you'll be going 40mph on the GS and 90mph on the F4.

I've been riding for 5 years now. Much to my chagrin I was swayed from buying a 600cc sportbike as my first bike, too. I started out on a GS500 and it was the best decision I ever made. I currently ride a Honda Superhawk (a 1000cc v-twin), but I shudder the thought of having been a n00b on a 100hp Honda F4.

Oh, PS: Check out BARF, http://www.bayarearidersforum.com It's a great group.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:52 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: this required information?
i started out on a little ninja 250, then got a Honda 600rr. im thinking if you are smart and arent a dumbass then you could probably get away with getting the 600 as a first bike, because the f3 and f4 arent really like straight on race bikes like some of the new ones are.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:31 AM

Car Info: 2016 Red WRX
My coworker got a new F4 as his first bike and his friend got a new Ducatti 996 or whatever their literbike is as their first bikes and neither has dropped them or had any kind of accident. and they got them several years ago
Old 02-17-2005, 07:50 AM

my first bike was an f2, it was a great first bike for me. The older 600's aren't as bad as people tend to say. Alot of how safe you will be will depend on your attitude. A 250, 500, 600 will all go 100mph. And someone who will go 100 on a 600, will still get there on a 250/500.

Ride safe and smart, and buy a bike that you are comfortable on. Just keep the right frame of mind and you should be ok.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:43 AM

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX, 2012 OBP STi wagon
I agree with Akira-R. Ride smart, and you can buy any bike you are comfortable with.

When I was shopping for bikes, I heard all of the opinions on what to buy for a first bike. Honestly, if you are mature, responsible, and don't have a squidly attitude, a lot of bikes people steer you away from are okay as first bikes. You just have to keep in mind a few things:

1) 600cc bikes nowadays, especially the supersports like the R6, the 600rr, etc., have enough hp to get you in trouble quickly (100+hp in a 400lb bike is a lot). Even the F4i has over 90hp. They also tend to be unforgiving if you screw up, so if you choose to ride one, better ride with your head, not your ego. If you are comfortable with riding this kind of bike and intend to do so responsibly, go ahead.

2) ANY bike can go fast, and ANY bike can get you in trouble, be it a 250 or a 1200. There's no such thing as "needing" an R1 or "needing" a supersport. A bike is a bike (except for POS Harleys ). The difference between displacements of bikes is how fast they get going, and how forgiving they are for hamfisted riding and newbie mistakes. The torque curve on a Honda CBR 600RR or Yamaha R6 is not the same as on that of a Honda F4i or a Suzuki SV650. Each type of bike has different characteristics, so choose the one that you feel comfortable with. For the average beginner, riding a supersport takes more adjustments to learn and understand the power sitting between your legs. Take it slow, and you can start with any bike. Don't buy more bike than you are comfortable with, and don't overestimate your abilities. Again, ride with your head, not with your ego.

3) JUST RIDE. No matter what anyone says, you will buy what you want. My first bike that I've owned is a 2004 CBR 600RR. It's fast, it's fun, it's a blast to ride, and I use it for ... COMMUTING, with an occasional blast along the twisties around Alice. Lots of people on BARF advise against such a purchase as a first bike, and would instead recommend a 250 or 500, or the all time favorite beginner bike, the SV650. However, my feeling was that I wanted (not "needed" since the only time I will ever push the potential of this bike is on trackdays) the 600RR for a lot of the things I read about it: the styling, the performance, and the fun. Is it a practical commuter bike? Of course not. That's not the point. The point is, I was comfortable buying it as my first bike, and I respect the power it has to give. I don't ride squidly, and I ride with my head, I ride responsibly, and I PRACTICE to make sure that I am comfortable riding it. Trackdays are in the future, but for now, I enjoy riding my 600. Besides, it's actually more comfortable for me than a cruiser (the seating position does not aggravate my lower back the way it does on a cruiser).

So do your research, understand the bike you are purchasing, practice, ride like you are invisible, ride like people will do the stupidest things to get your hurt, and see you at Alice's.

Last edited by shadowcat; 02-17-2005 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:22 AM

Car Info: 03 MBP WRX
Where do you go to learn how to ride if you've never riden before? A co-worker of mine said that he took a 3 day class. 2 of the days were in the classroom and the final day was on the bike. Is this the best way to learn?
Old 02-17-2005, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by shadowcat
I agree with Akira-R. Ride smart, and you can buy any bike you are comfortable with.

When I was shopping for bikes, I heard all of the opinions on what to buy for a first bike. Honestly, if you are mature, responsible, and don't have a squidly attitude, a lot of bikes people steer you away from are okay as first bikes. You just have to keep in mind a few things:

1) 600cc bikes nowadays, especially the supersports like the R6, the 600rr, etc., have enough hp to get you in trouble quickly (100+hp in a 400lb bike is a lot). Even the F4i has over 90hp. They also tend to be unforgiving if you screw up, so if you choose to ride one, better ride with your head, not your ego. If you are comfortable with riding this kind of bike and intend to do so responsibly, go ahead.

2) ANY bike can go fast, and ANY bike can get you in trouble, be it a 250 or a 1200. There's no such thing as "needing" an R1 or "needing" a supersport. A bike is a bike (except for POS Harleys ). The difference between displacements of bikes is how fast they get going, and how forgiving they are for hamfisted riding and newbie mistakes. The torque curve on a Honda CBR 600RR or Yamaha R6 is not the same as on that of a Honda F4i or a Suzuki SV650. Each type of bike has different characteristics, so choose the one that you feel comfortable with. For the average beginner, riding a supersport takes more adjustments to learn and understand the power sitting between your legs. Take it slow, and you can start with any bike. Don't buy more bike than you are comfortable with, and don't overestimate your abilities. Again, ride with your head, not with your ego.

3) JUST RIDE. No matter what anyone says, you will buy what you want. My first bike that I've owned is a 2004 CBR 600RR. It's fast, it's fun, it's a blast to ride, and I use it for ... COMMUTING, with an occasional blast along the twisties around Alice. Lots of people on BARF advise against such a purchase as a first bike, and would instead recommend a 250 or 500, or the all time favorite beginner bike, the SV650. However, my feeling was that I wanted (not "needed" since the only time I will ever push the potential of this bike is on trackdays) the 600RR for a lot of the things I read about it: the styling, the performance, and the fun. Is it a practical commuter bike? Of course not. That's not the point. The point is, I was comfortable buying it as my first bike, and I respect the power it has to give. I don't ride squidly, and I ride with my head, I ride responsibly, and I PRACTICE to make sure that I am comfortable riding it. Trackdays are in the future, but for now, I enjoy riding my 600. Besides, it's actually more comfortable for me than a cruiser (the seating position does not aggravate my lower back the way it does on a cruiser).

So do your research, understand the bike you are purchasing, practice, ride like you are invisible, ride like people will do the stupidest things to get your hurt, and see you at Alice's.
very good advice :thumbsup:
Old 02-17-2005, 09:58 AM

Car Info: 2002 psm wrx
My first bike was a 1976 Kawasaki RD 125...hahaa, seriously. Current bike is a 92 cbr f2. She's old, but clean and runs strong. I'd sell her, but I like her too much. Only 13k milles, too.

As others have said check out BARF or craigslist. There's tons of bike in your price range.

-ryan
Old 02-17-2005, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by shadowcat

There's a difference between buying a bike and 'thinking' you'll take it easy, versus actually doing so. Certain bikes have certain personalities and want to be ridden in certain ways. Some bikes want to drone the slab at 65 all day long, and some bikes invite showing off to yourself and to friends.

The torque curve on 600 supersports is rediculous for the street, IMO; although the current incarnations have better than they were in the 80's and 90's. Still, most of the power is above 10,000 rpm. I've ridden a friend's new GSX-R600 extensively (hundreds of miles) and for me, it's nothing but track fodder. 600's are too narrowly focused in their design.

I find them only fun on the track, where they really shine.

A really good compromise for those influenced by the 'bling' factor (ie. cool looking), and who want more power than the the 250cc and 500cc bikes have, I *highly* suggest the SV650.

The Suzuki SV650 is an excellent beginner bike for many reasons. The torque curve is very broad and flat. The bike "only" has 70 hp, but IT HAS MORE TORQUE AT EVERY RPM than an F4. This makes the power delivery more predictable, since at any RPM you can twist the grip and take off. Back lane passing is a breeze. Shifting is optional for most of the canyon carving stuff. I hate having to "wind up" the 600cc bikes just to get up to speed.

Also, the SV650 is a "naked" bike--i.e., it doesn't have the plastic fairings. This can be important to beginners since they tend to drop them--either in parking lots, or at speed. Do yourself a favor and price out a pair of 600RR fairings. It's usually $500 per side. A pretty expensive price for a mistake. A friend of mine crashed his 600, which sustained only cosmetic damages (not mechanical or structural)... I think it was in the neighborhood of $1500.

Plus, the SV650 ain't just a beginner's bike. I knew a guy who sold his CBR 929RR to buy an SV650--and was *thrilled* with it.

Best of all, it's in your price range of "under $3k".
Old 02-17-2005, 01:53 PM

Seat height may be worth considering as well - as a beginner it is very reassuring if you can get both feet flat on the ground. If you are over 5'10, then you'll have no problems, but if you are 5'8 or less, it is something to be aware of.

The 600 supersport bikes are all fairly tall to get ground clearance. The 500 standards and the SV-650 are all lower, and therefore more manageable for a beginner.

Whatever you choose, make sure you feel comfortable on it.

I don't want to sound like a gear ****, but make sure you budget for some decent gloves, boots, and ideally a jacket and pants as well.

I learned on a Katana 600. This was solid and easy to ride, but it was heavy which I found a bit intimidating. After a couple of years, I sold it and bought an F4i.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:23 PM

Car Info: MY03 WRX Wagon Silver
You can start on any bike, it really depends if you have a cool head when you are on it. As HongKongBeef had said, some people started on big bike and never crashed but some just crashed them while taking off from the dealer's lot.

Ideally start on a beater bike that you don't care much about, find a big parking lot and practice emergency braking, trail braking and counter steering(turning). Also find a bike that you can flat foot for starting out. If you don't have the M1 license, go take the MSF coruse, you will learn much more from that course then just getting a bike + permit and taking the DMV "road" test.

I started on a Ninja 250 and it is plenty fast for beginner, doesn't have a lot of power, but still enough to get you in trouble if you are *REALLY* careless. Planning to replace it with a sv in the near future. Also BUY GEAR and LOTS OF IT. I spend about 1100 dollars on riding gear and still not finish equipping myself fully yet. In the beginning at least get a motorcycle leather jacket, leather gloves and a helmet. Still missing riding pants and beefier back protector. As most rider say it, "Dress for the fall, not the ride."
Old 02-17-2005, 04:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
The new 600s are fast as f***. All of them run a sub 11 second quarter and will lift the front tire rather easily. My first street bike was an r6 and being a somewhat "responsible" person, I did fine. I've also ridden countless 600's 750's and literbikes. If your limit is 3k you should be cool, you can't exactly get anything super fast for that kind of cash. Try stuff out and see what you like. The sv is a sweet bike and you don't have to rev it to 10k to get power. I'd also check out an f4i if you like the full fairing look. Just be safe, defensive, alert and pretend like everyone is on thier cell phones. Remember you don't have doors or airbags.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:25 PM

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX, 2012 OBP STi wagon
IMO, an SV650 is not the greatest beginner bike, although it IS a good bike to begin with. The problem is .. there IS a lot of torque. Beginners who hamfist their throttle will find that torque overwhelming. All that extra torque that is great to have to get out of situation also takes a lot more effort to learn how to use properly. I have found the SV650 quite easy to turn over if you aren't careful, or if you lack the throttle control to maintain an even grip when you hit a bump, or if you just get a case of the stupids and give it a full twist. Thus, while I DO recommend the SV650, it really depends on the person I'm recommending it to. If they seem overly eager, I steer them toward the 500s.

CA.R.E. is the California Riders Education. It is affiliated with the MSF courses (although, I think that has changed recently, as some schools have failed to maintain quality control of their courses/instructors, etc.). He's already gotten a head start by taking the course. Just DON'T skimp on the safety gear. Every rider should get the best gear they can get, because it's the only thing between a rider and the asphalt in the event of a get-off.

As far as 600s go, sure, they have a massive torque curve that is geared for high RPMs. That doesn't mean they aren't street friendly. At freeway speeds, in 6th gear, I RARELY go over 7-8000 rpm on my cbr600rr. I'm saving gas (average 40mpg), and if I need that extra push, I just downshift a gear or two and go. Yes, it's not the easiest commute bike. Yes, it is track-focused. That does NOT mean that it CAN'T be ridden as a daily rider, NOR does it mean you HAVE to let it go WOT every time you accelerate (ride with your head, not your ego). I'm willing to live with the quirks of the little beast, because I REALLY like my bike, and I accept the limitations it has on the streets.

Honestly, a bike is only as bad or as good a beginner bike as the rider in the seat. I agree, some bikes are much better geared toward beginners, but a person will buy what they want, and as long as they ride smart, any bike will do... except a harley .

Now, if you REALLY want to increase skill, take it to a track. Go to a performance riding school, a racing school, or go to track days and really SEE what your bike can do. Even an SV650 can tear up the track in the right rider's hands.

BTW, I think the SV650 is a great bike, and yes, I DO recommend it as a starter bike... for those people I think can handle it. The rest, I advise a 250 or a 500. I also take into account those that want the R6/600rr/super 600s... sometimes I steer them away, other times, I say "go ahead, as long as you know EXACTLY what you are getting into." As a rider, I want them to ride safe, but I'm not going to TELL them how to ride their choice or rides.

Quick Reply: I know there are bike riders in the BAIC