I was just rear-ended in my DD beater. Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 12:19 PM

Car Info: 99 Swap'd GM6
Rear end accidents, in The State of California, are always the following party. FYI.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:17 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by Rescuer
not always correct.

when i first bought my 2007 impreza, driving through hayward, put my right blinker on to change lanes to the right, at the moment my right tires touched the lines heading to the ride, i got nailed on my left rear corner

got a police report and everything. but the police report doesn't always state who is at fault, it just states the facts. even tho "the facts" clearly shows he's to blame for hitting me from behind.

my insurance fought with his for over a year. in the end, his insurance refused to pay stating that i was partially at fault creating a danger from changing lanes.

now, as ridiculous as that all sounds, it's exactly that. ****ING ridiculous. the guy even stated in the police report that he saw me up ahead with my right blinker on, and he continued forward until eventually HE hit me from behind on my left side thinking that i would be out of "his" way by the time he got there.

but since his insurance refused to pay, my only option was to sue. i was tired of dealing with it for over a year so I had let it go.

so even though somebody hits you from behind doesn't always mean you'll win.
i had to pay my deductible to get my car fixed. my insurance did NOT go up though since they put me down as not at fault. i lost the deductible since they were unable to reclaim it from his insurance co.
Pretty much the same thing that is going on with my kid's car. The car was totaled and the claim has been going on for 4 months now. He was hit by a speeding driver but because he was making a left turn, they consider him partially at fault so they are still going around and around over it. So I am paying insurance still for a car that was already scrapped and he has no car.

The OP was stopped so there is no question who was at fault here. Make the claim against the OTHER PERSON'S insurance. Doesn't have anything to do with your insurance. You do NOT need a lawyer for this unless his insurance does not take responsibility.

Last edited by 04GG; 09-19-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:37 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
No amount of defensive driving will save you from hitting a Prius as they cut into your lane going 20 miles under the speed limit. I think that's why the lane changing rear end accidents are harder to prove if one party is at 100% fault.

I've been so close to rear ending all the lane changers at capitol/aborn. ****ers wait until the absolute last second to change lanes into the turning lane and then try to fit into a space 1/4 the size of their car.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:46 PM

Car Info: '06 WRB STi
Thanks for all the help guys. Should I call his insurance first or just go straight to mine?
Old 09-19-2013, 03:48 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Call his first, right away.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:09 PM

So it looks like his insurance is going to cover everything plus a rental car while mine is in the shop. I guess I don't even really need to contact my insurance.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:30 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by Jodice112
So it looks like his insurance is going to cover everything plus a rental car while mine is in the shop. I guess I don't even really need to contact my insurance.
you pay for your insurance so they would do this all for you, however you chose to contact his and do the work yourself.

if his didn't cooperate, you'd wish you had contacted yours

Old 09-19-2013, 05:34 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 04GG
The OP was stopped so there is no question who was at fault here.
you don't realize that other peoples insurance can and will decline fault at their choosing, hence my story. the whole point is, your insurance can say without a doubt that you are NOT at fault, however the other parties insurance can "refuse to pay" claiming they aren't at fault.

Make the claim against the OTHER PERSON'S insurance. Doesn't have anything to do with your insurance.
you pay your insurance company to to this for you.... i don't think you get that...
Old 09-19-2013, 06:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
you don't realize that other peoples insurance can and will decline fault at their choosing, hence my story. the whole point is, your insurance can say without a doubt that you are NOT at fault, however the other parties insurance can "refuse to pay" claiming they aren't at fault.

you pay your insurance company to to this for you.... i don't think you get that...
Indeed. Call your insurance first. If there is a case, they will go to bat for you because it's in their best financial interest to do so. If there is not a case, well, there is not a case.

In my last experience, some lady crunched my wife's car while parked at Linda Mar near the Starbucks. The lady had Farmers and I contacted my insurance with her info. Within two days I received paperwork from Farmers which I took to my body shop of choice, and did not have to speak to anyone after that.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:49 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

They CAN refuse to pay, but almost 100% aren't going to in a case like this. IF there was any issue with the other person's insurance, then you get yours involved.

I get it and I don't agree with it. I don't pay my insurance company to call someone else's insurance company. That's like mailing a letter I wrote to myself. I pay my insurance company for when I need MY insurance company.

What you don't seem to get is when you make a claim on your insurance, even if it is 100% not your fault, it is still counted against you because you made a claim. Whether they paid anything out or not. When your account goes up for renewal they look at how many claims you made. Obviously if they don't pay out, then it has less influence, but they still factor it in. Their whole business is risk and a claim you make is risk to them.

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Indeed. Call your insurance first. If there is a case, they will go to bat for you because it's in their best financial interest to do so. If there is not a case, well, there is not a case.

In my last experience, some lady crunched my wife's car while parked at Linda Mar near the Starbucks. The lady had Farmers and I contacted my insurance with her info. Within two days I received paperwork from Farmers which I took to my body shop of choice, and did not have to speak to anyone after that.
I had one accident where the guy rear ended me while I was stopped. I called my insurance not his, and I had to pay my deductible up front. They reimbursed me, but it was a few weeks later. That's my only issue with that method. Your insurance company's only financial interest in you is they are banking on you not filing any claims. Yes, I trust my insurance company more than another person's, but as long as anyone involved and the vehicle are taken care of to my satisfaction it doesn't really matter which one takes care of it.

Last edited by 04GG; 09-20-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:53 AM
Loves the Anime

Car Info: STWODUCES
well im glad the op got his situation taken care of easily!
Old 09-20-2013, 10:44 AM

Yeah it was definitely simpler than I thought it would be. The whole situation took all of 10 minutes to resolve. I have a claims adjuster coming on Tuesday to assess the damage.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:00 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

That's good to hear.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:14 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 04GG
I don't pay my insurance company to call someone else's insurance company.
yes you do.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:58 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Quick Reply: I was just rear-ended in my DD beater. Need advice.