I was just rear-ended in my DD beater. Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 09:52 AM

Car Info: '06 WRB STi
I was just rear-ended in my DD beater. Need advice.

So my DD Corolla was rear-ended while I was at a stop light in traffic. We exchanged info and parted ways. Now my question is, I already have 2 points on my record (speeding). Should I report this to my insurance company (AAA)? I can't afford for my insurance to go up any more than it already has. Is it worth it to report it for my POS Corolla? The damage to my car was just a few scratches but his car was pretty smashed up.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:54 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
Take pictures and get a police report. Find anyone that witnessed the accident and get their contact info and a statement.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:59 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by queeg9k
Take pictures and get a police report. Find anyone that witnessed the accident and get their contact info and a statement.
looks like it's too late for that since they parted ways

yes, report it to your insurance company. you PAY for insurance for them to HELP you with claims against other insurance companies. don't call his insurance and file the claim. call yours, give them the info, let them do all the work for you since that is what you pay them for. they are on your side.

in the future, always get a police report. that is one of the first things insurance companies ask for.

Last edited by Rescuer; 09-19-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:04 AM

Car Info: '06 WRB STi
Yeah I called to see of I could get a police officer down to take a report and the operator told me to just take down his info. I was on my way to work and I didn't have time to wait all day for an officer to show up.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:05 AM
Loves the Anime

Car Info: STWODUCES
its not your fault. it shouldn't effect your driving record.

first off, you have options. You can get body shop quotes and contact the other party about the cost of it, or if you guys wanna go through insurance. They pay for everything anyway, you shouldn't be getting any points for it.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:07 AM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
100% report this to your insurance.
In California - the car in the rear of an accident like this is considered at fault regardless of circumstance.

At worst, this will be a Comprehensive Claim, which does not count against you for insurance rates.
Let AAA fight the battles with the other driver
Old 09-19-2013, 10:08 AM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
He rear ended you, your insurance premium shouldn't change theoretically. The car in the back always gets the blame.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:10 AM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Premium wont change but in our family's case our deductible changed....

All accidents were determined not operators fault by PD and insurance :/
Old 09-19-2013, 10:42 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Lowend
In California - the car in the rear of an accident like this is considered at fault regardless of circumstance.
not always correct.

when i first bought my 2007 impreza, driving through hayward, put my right blinker on to change lanes to the right, at the moment my right tires touched the lines heading to the ride, i got nailed on my left rear corner

got a police report and everything. but the police report doesn't always state who is at fault, it just states the facts. even tho "the facts" clearly shows he's to blame for hitting me from behind.

my insurance fought with his for over a year. in the end, his insurance refused to pay stating that i was partially at fault creating a danger from changing lanes.

now, as ridiculous as that all sounds, it's exactly that. ****ING ridiculous. the guy even stated in the police report that he saw me up ahead with my right blinker on, and he continued forward until eventually HE hit me from behind on my left side thinking that i would be out of "his" way by the time he got there.

but since his insurance refused to pay, my only option was to sue. i was tired of dealing with it for over a year so I had let it go.

so even though somebody hits you from behind doesn't always mean you'll win.
i had to pay my deductible to get my car fixed. my insurance did NOT go up though since they put me down as not at fault. i lost the deductible since they were unable to reclaim it from his insurance co.

Last edited by Rescuer; 09-19-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:07 AM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
your situation is crappy - it sucks that you couldn't collect, but legally Changing Lanes is not a "rear end" accident.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:09 AM
Dirty Purple Ukrainian

Car Info: SUBARU BROOM
If you got hit and it's not your fault, your insurance should not go up. I worked with auto accident for 7 years, from what I was told it's illegal for them to raise your insurance.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:13 AM
I paid $200 to charity and all I got was this stupid title... oh, and I'm probably out to sea right now too.

Car Info: '02 WRB Bugeye Wagon
Carry a tazer and taze him next time.

Kidding... sort of.

Seriously though, yes tell your insurance company and let them deal with it. We pay stupid amounts of money for just this reason.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:50 AM

Car Info: 2008 Legacy GT
Originally Posted by Rescuer
not always correct.

when i first bought my 2007 impreza, driving through hayward, put my right blinker on to change lanes to the right, at the moment my right tires touched the lines heading to the ride, i got nailed on my left rear corner

got a police report and everything. but the police report doesn't always state who is at fault, it just states the facts. even tho "the facts" clearly shows he's to blame for hitting me from behind.

my insurance fought with his for over a year. in the end, his insurance refused to pay stating that i was partially at fault creating a danger from changing lanes.

now, as ridiculous as that all sounds, it's exactly that. ****ING ridiculous. the guy even stated in the police report that he saw me up ahead with my right blinker on, and he continued forward until eventually HE hit me from behind on my left side thinking that i would be out of "his" way by the time he got there.

but since his insurance refused to pay, my only option was to sue. i was tired of dealing with it for over a year so I had let it go.

so even though somebody hits you from behind doesn't always mean you'll win.
i had to pay my deductible to get my car fixed. my insurance did NOT go up though since they put me down as not at fault. i lost the deductible since they were unable to reclaim it from his insurance co.
+1

If the other party has cheap insurance, they'll do anything to not pay a lot or anywhere near the amount you believe you deserve. Even if you or your insurance tries to fight it all year long. The best, if you for sure know the other part is wrong, is hire a lawyer.

Hiring a lawyer for auto accidents aren't as scary as it sounds, in fact, they make it super easy because they take care of everything. The lawyer will fight for everything that has interrupted your life because of this accident, discomfort during work, missing school, can't going to the gym because of injury, any medical treatment caused by the accident, etc..

To OP, if you feel any pain or if you had any whiplash, I'd recommend hiring a lawyer and seeing a chiropractor. I didn't feel a single thing after getting t-boned, but I was diagnosed with stage 2 spine misalignment (out of I think 16 stages?), but my gf was worse, she was diagnose with stage 6 for that accident, which is considered somewhat critical and should be treated. PM me if you need a lawyer/chiropractor.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:06 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Lowend
your situation is crappy - it sucks that you couldn't collect, but legally Changing Lanes is not a "rear end" accident.
i was hit in the rear. mostly left side because he tried to swerve left. the "rear end" of my vehicle took the damage. i'd say that is a "rear end" accident"

Last edited by Rescuer; 09-19-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:16 PM
Dirty Purple Ukrainian

Car Info: SUBARU BROOM
Originally Posted by tedward88

+1

if the other party has cheap insurance, they'll do anything to not pay a lot or anywhere near the amount you believe you deserve. Even if you or your insurance tries to fight it all year long. The best, if you for sure know the other part is wrong, is hire a lawyer.

Hiring a lawyer for auto accidents aren't as scary as it sounds, in fact, they make it super easy because they take care of everything. The lawyer will fight for everything that has interrupted your life because of this accident, discomfort during work, missing school, can't going to the gym because of injury, any medical treatment caused by the accident, etc..

To op, if you feel any pain or if you had any whiplash, i'd recommend hiring a lawyer and seeing a chiropractor. I didn't feel a single thing after getting t-boned, but i was diagnosed with stage 2 spine misalignment (out of i think 16 stages?), but my gf was worse, she was diagnose with stage 6 for that accident, which is considered somewhat critical and should be treated. Pm me if you need a lawyer/chiropractor.
+ 1

Quick Reply: I was just rear-ended in my DD beater. Need advice.