I had the coolest conversation with a WWII bomber pilot

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 04:40 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Originally Posted by Spoolin415
My issue issue with modern day pop culture is that it has replaced a working knowledge of historical events. Most people's idea of history is who won American Idol 3 seasons ago. Hell, try to get most people under 30, or a lot over 30 for that matter, to identify the countries we're currently at war with on a map. Not a good future for America when looked at in this light.
Well, just think about how many countries we've had "conflicts with since WWII. America has been in so many military battles in the last 60 years that I don't blame people for not knowing or even caring what country our soldiers are fighting in.

People have become jaded to this and I don't blame them. Not to mention, the medium for entertainment is exponentially larger than it was in the 40s. There are multiple TVs in almost ever household and the internet has all but obsoleted the news paper. America is no longer limited to radio broadcasts, news papers, and news reals at the movie theater to link them to the outside world. That also leads to a gross amount of misinformation. Now people don't know what to believe so a lot of them just choose to ignore it all together. I don't blame them for that either.

Our culture is vastly different than it was back in the days of WWII whether it be because of cultural diversity, poor schooling, technology, etc. Things change.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:49 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Not just American society, all human societies in the history of the human race.

It's simply impossible to retain all individual histories of generations past. At best, the newest generation gets detailed summaries. It's sad, but that's how it is.

That being said though, I believe it is a positive effort for the younger generation to try and remember and respect a reasonable amount of the past.

We are still able to talk to living WWII era people... but what about WWI? We simply can't and at best can only read history books; which are inherently biased by the author.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
No soldier enjoys killing.
They may get caught up in the moment, but at best, they are neutral.
I agree i was speaking generally, and probably am misinformed. But We can all see we saw videos etc.. of soldiers seeming to enjoy killing.......

just seems to me back in the day in ww2 nobody thought it was a joke or was so inhumane about it, they realized wtf they were doing.....where as now the instant gratification generation doesn't even take the time to understand.

I guess its a generation problem................soldiers that i've seen interviewed from this war seem to be numb to killing.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:58 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
Originally Posted by slow04wrx
I agree i was speaking generally, and probably am misinformed. But We can all see we saw videos etc.. of soldiers seeming to enjoy killing.......
You're not really looking at it from their prospective either. You're likely watching videos from Iraq or Afghanistan where soldiers are directly engaging targets (other people). They aren't celebrating the idea of taking another life but rather winning the fight, staying alive. The same thing happens with IEDs, there's nothing more thrilling than surviving something like that. On their own terms later that day, maybe a month or even years later each will deal with what he's done on his own terms. For some it hurts bad and others not as much. It's not right to criticize someone in a situation like that. Those are extremes that only an unfortunate few will ever experience.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:09 PM

Car Info: 2006 STi 2012 STi
This thread really makes the bad day im having a bit brighter! im cheered up by how many people still care about and are willing to hear and learn from our past. Ive always pushed my grandparents to tell me their stories over and over again. I dont want their stories being forgotten and i would love to be able to pass those stories on to future generations in our family.

im warmed by how many people on i-club know some of the things they do...sadly on other forums if a topic like this was started it woulda died about 5 posts into it or gotten WAY off topic.

slightly OT...but in the Fave Movie Thread...i posted my ALL time Fave movie
Best Years of Our Lives staring Myrna Loy.....its about 3 WW2 vets coming home..they met on the plane and how each one dealt with being home! Deffinately a movie i reccomend to anyone in this thread

and Daniel: no need to shake my hand...im just lucky to be a part of the family that i am, im not worthy. my Heros are my grandparents tho!
Old 02-21-2008, 06:16 PM

Car Info: 2016 FXT
My brother was in the 82nd Airborne and got shipped off to Iraq about a week before the war was officially declared way back when. He fought during the first strike the day the war was officially declared etc.. He is not even the same person anymore and its really sad. That fighting took a HUGE toll on him mentally.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by NorCalDC5
My brother was in the 82nd Airborne and got shipped off to Iraq about a week before the war was officially declared way back when. He fought during the first strike the day the war was officially declared etc.. He is not even the same person anymore and its really sad. That fighting took a HUGE toll on him mentally.
Yeah, it's definitely a terrible thing. I see young guys going off to war fresh out of basic and I cringe a little bit. They'll lose an innocence that will change them forever and see things that will haunt them forever. The only thing that makes it worthwhile is knowing you gave back to a country that has given so much to so many. Make sure to thank your brother for what he's done. He'll appreciate it more than you can imagine.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by 1reguL8NSTi
You're not really looking at it from their prospective either. You're likely watching videos from Iraq or Afghanistan where soldiers are directly engaging targets (other people). They aren't celebrating the idea of taking another life but rather winning the fight, staying alive. The same thing happens with IEDs, there's nothing more thrilling than surviving something like that. On their own terms later that day, maybe a month or even years later each will deal with what he's done on his own terms. For some it hurts bad and others not as much. It's not right to criticize someone in a situation like that. Those are extremes that only an unfortunate few will ever experience.
So true, it should be read again. So here it is.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:40 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Originally Posted by 1reguL8NSTi
Yeah, it's definitely a terrible thing. I see young guys going off to war fresh out of basic and I cringe a little bit. They'll lose an innocence that will change them forever and see things that will haunt them forever.......
I don't like to use quotes, especially over used ones to make a point, but...

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants" - Thomas Jefferson

It's overly simplified, yet sadly true and proven time and time again.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
I don't like to use quotes, especially over used ones to make a point, but...

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants" - Thomas Jefferson

It's overly simplified, yet sadly true and proven time and time again.
That's for sure a good quote. I've always been a Shakespeare fan myself.

"Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once.
Of all the wonders that I yet have heard, it seems to me most strange that men should fear;
Seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come". Julius Caesar Quote (Act II, Scene II).

But we in it shall be remember'd;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.
(Henry V 4.3.40-70)

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more,
Or close the wall up with our English dead!
In peace there ’s nothing so becomes a man
As modest stillness and humility;
But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger:
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood.
King Henry V Quote Act iii. Scene 1.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:35 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
I haven't had a decent night's sleep since 27 Jan 1988, which happens to be the day I started Basic Training.
Some night's are better, some worse.

But I'd still do it all over again.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:49 PM

Car Info: Fast
Great story...thanks for sharing. How do you feel about the time life WWII series that came out a while ago? I have the entire set (plus some) and it introduces you to several p[arts of the war that most people know nothing about.

My Grandfather was a tank driver in Europe. In his final battle before being injured, their main gun jammed/ran out of ammo (he died when I was like 5, so I don't remember the exact details.) So they decided to drive over a halftrack since they could not shoot it Obviously, that is how he was injured...and possible the reason he survived the war.

By the way, you WWII buffs should keep an eye out for the B-17 and B-24 that tour the country every year. You can buy rides on them. It is, I believe, the last B-24 flying, and one of not many B-17s. I am sure some of you know about this already tho I forget the name of the organazition, but google should find it pretty quick.

Last edited by aboothman; 02-22-2008 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:13 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
we actually had one of the Tuskeegee Airmen out here in Japan recently. I didn't personally get to meet him, but one of the girls in my office said that he was an amazing man. Mid Eighties and spoke with a pride and conviction that was unmistakeable.

My grandfather that passed away two years ago was a half track driver in the Army, he had some amazing stories.

And for you guys/gals that take the time to thank the Vets, that's awesome. It means alot to them.

Last edited by RedStage; 02-23-2008 at 03:56 AM.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:33 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
Originally Posted by slow04wrx
too bad the younger soldiers seem to enjoy killing now days
where do you get this info from?
If anything it is becuase of watching their friends get killed or injured, or seeing the bodies of innocent people due to the actions of suicide bombers and the like. It's a revelation in the fact that they survived and that they enemy did not. That there is one less enemy out there to worry about. It's not from a sense of just wanting to kill.

IF I had watched a buddy of mine get his legs blown off, and then got the chance to have the person responsible for it in my guns sights....I am not entirely sure I wouldn't enjoy placing a bullet squarely between his eyes.

On another note...

Every time I am onboard a ship that sails through Coral Sea or any of the other areas where major Naval battles were fought during WWII, They generally bring the ship to a stop over the coordinates of a lost US vessel and have a moment of reflection, a moment of silence, and a wreath laying ceremony.

It is a pretty moving event. It never fails to give me a renewed sense of duty to know that I am floating above the remains of 1,000s of lost US Sailors and Marines that only know the sea as their final resting place.

Just this last year we (USS KITTY HAWK and embarked units) commemorated the loss of the USS LEXINGTON (7 May 1942)

Last edited by RedStage; 02-23-2008 at 04:15 AM.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:48 AM

Car Info: 2008 Forester XT 5spd
Thanks for sharing, I totally love it when I hear the stories of soldiers in wars, it's just fascinating perspectives, that most of us hear about, but have not experienced. Taking it back to WWII is just another level of awe. Couple winters ago my wife and I went to visit her grandfather, who also was a WWII vet at Normandy, and I believe his best friend (and best man) was part of a team of soldiers that went in much earlier to cut off all the communication lines before going into Normandy. Just listening to him, and looking at his WWII photographs were just amazing!

Quick Reply: I had the coolest conversation with a WWII bomber pilot