I dare you to find something more bad ass than this:

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 03:37 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Here's a really cool video showing how that type of gun works (How it tracks, moves, destroys, and with pin point accuracy). The video I'm posting is a little old but shows the newer and more advanced system called "The Goalkeeper". Basically just modernized version of what I posted. Some REALLY good footage if it taking out planes, missiles, and torpedos! A must see if you're interested in stuff like this (Mechanical things, science, etc).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGrJn...eature=related

Fact: GE is the same company that made the Mini-gun that Arnold used in the Terminator 2 famous cop shootout scene. They asked him not to drop it after he fired because it was so expensive, but Arnold didn't listen as it's clearly seen that he drops the weapon after he's done firing it. If I was @ GE I would have been pissed! Drop my Mini-gun will you!? I'll show you!!!!! *BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR" (835 rounds later) lol

PS: I'm really jealous of the guys who have worked on or have seen a live fire exercise of any of these modern anti-missile guns.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:52 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
I see you your C-Ram (having seen them used live in tests back in the navy) and raise you, the single greatest event in naval combat...The USS Iowa unloading all 3 guns at once! (NOTE: the Iowa has FOUR of the "c-ram" systems on board to keep her safe)

Please note the water at the bow, yes, the ship is moved almost 20 feet sideways as she unloads one gun from each turret. There is nothing in the world that can compare to a Montana class lift a gun into the air and let loose with a roar. I got to see her fire live back in '87 on a test fire, from the deck of a support ship. Holy crap, we were a good 1/8th mile from her stern, and you could still feel the concussion...as she let go with a 2700lb shell from her 16 inch main aft gun.

Now just to put this in perspective for you all. The Iowa displaces 45000 tons, and she drafts 37 feet under the water. Yet she can be moved like that by her main guns, they are THAT big...hence her nick name, "the big stick"

One thing of note, while she is now a museum, congress inacted a law that keeps her ready to go at all times. In any event she could be reactivated, re stocked, and under steam ready for war inside of 20 days. Both her and her sister ship the USS New Jersey sit now as monuments to the greatest ships to ever sale into battle...and ready still to this day to be called up to defend our country.

(Yea yea I got a HUGE soft spot for the big girls, nothing in the world compares to them in my book)
Old 03-06-2011, 06:32 AM

Jeeeebus! Imagine a giant C-RAM with 7 16" barrels.

That is an insane picture. Where are the crew? Probably not on board, lol... Is there a video of that epic event!? I'd love to see it!!!
Old 03-06-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by brucelee
Jeeeebus! Imagine a giant C-RAM with 7 16" barrels.

That is an insane picture. Where are the crew? Probably not on board, lol... Is there a video of that epic event!? I'd love to see it!!!
No crew on the fire side deck when they let the big guns go, the sound presure levels would pop eardrums. Everyone is inside, behind 19+ inches of steel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHSn1...eature=related
Old 03-06-2011, 01:17 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
try this one out Daniel,

Mk 48 torpedo, explodes right under the keel of a ship breaking it in half under its own weight, just one of these can take out any ship up to and including carriers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_48_torpedo

Old 03-06-2011, 02:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Dude, Overbear, that's badass as hell!!!!
Old 03-06-2011, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Krinkov
try this one out Daniel,

Mk 48 torpedo, explodes right under the keel of a ship breaking it in half under its own weight, just one of these can take out any ship up to and including carriers

Not really, the Mark 48 is a big boy, but even if she hit a carrier low, its not going to snap her spine or put her on the bottom, not fast. This is why they fire 2-4 of them at a time. (ex navy here)

Im not sure the 48 could even breach the side of the Iowa, and even if it did, she isnt going to suffer anything more than a 10% loss of compartments max.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:57 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
try this one out Daniel,

I like this bit from wikipedia:

"In the event of a miss, it can circle back for another attempt."

Very cool technology
Old 03-06-2011, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Overbear
Not really, the Mark 48 is a big boy, but even if she hit a carrier low, its not going to snap her spine or put her on the bottom, not fast. This is why they fire 2-4 of them at a time. (ex navy here)

Im not sure the 48 could even breach the side of the Iowa, and even if it did, she isnt going to suffer anything more than a 10% loss of compartments max.
yeah me too, was a GMG on USS Essexs (LHD2) about 15 years ago, And yeah an Mk 48 isnt going snap a carrier in two like this for sure, but still if it didnt have all its compartments sealed, it would be a close one

Originally Posted by glenspen
I like this bit from wikipedia:

"In the event of a miss, it can circle back for another attempt."

Very cool technology
The really scary thing about the Mk 48 is the programmable guidance system. You can send the torpedo out on a preset course at slow speed (or tell it to swim in circles) while listening for a specific sound signature at a given depth. So if you think a sub will be passing through a strait in the next hour you can leave a couple patrolling torpedos that will ignore surface traffic and only attack that particular class of sub. Or you can tell it to ignore the fishing boats and only go after the destroyer, these Mk48s are smart as hell!

Last edited by Krinkov; 03-06-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:47 PM

^^^ Holy crap, it's THAT programmable, and 15 years ago!? Imagine what we have now, lol!
Old 03-06-2011, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by brucelee
^^^ Holy crap, it's THAT programmable, and 15 years ago!? Imagine what we have now, lol!
well it is still basically the same Mk 48 thats bee around since the 70s warhead/propulsion, but with upgraded software/guidance. thats the ADCAP version that was listed, Its damn near self aware at this point, all pretty amazing stuff!
Old 03-07-2011, 08:58 AM

well it is still basically the same Mk 48 thats bee around since the 70s warhead/propulsion, but with upgraded software/guidance. thats the ADCAP version that was listed, Its damn near self aware at this point, all pretty amazing stuff!
When you get down to it, other than the upgrade from steam to electrical motors, and guidance systems,Torpedo tech hasn't changes sence the days of the Mk 12's used in WW2