I Can't Drive 35!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 10:34 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 GR STi
Oh, I hear you Dahveed, my GF was useless on our last drive and I plan on doing the next one solo... Just makes it a little more interesting.... "Must reach.... clipboard... slid onto floor... clip board... use force... sh*t!!!! HAIRPIN RIGHT!!"
Old 10-16-2003, 10:57 AM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Originally posted by dahveed
Gotta raise my weapon and straight hijack this one right now.

Yeah I wish someone would just organize another drive like the original "Geysers and Dirt" one............

......the last time I asked about it, psoper told me that he would only do TSD's...oh well, if you gotta do it right, you do it yourself!
After a couple of weeks of build-up, nobodyjoined me on my first "Drive thru tree tour" and only one other car did the "Geysers and Dirt" drive, so I wasn't too inspired to try that again.

I once again have to repeat what huck said, -don't dis it until you've tried it.

Anyone that's driven with me knows I enjoy a brisk drive as much as the next guy, but frankly spending a day parading a few yards off somebody else's bumper- even at breakneck speeds, really isn't my idea of a good time, ya know -unless you're the lead dog the view never changes.

The TSD timing thing puts a little competition into the event, not everyone takes to it, but it gives those that want to try a chance to legally "beat" somebody in a motoring discipline without having to invest in a roll cage, fire suit and helmet, heck you don't even need to haul up to Thunderhill, and out of my own generosity you don't even have to pay an entry fee.

Doing it run/work means everybody gets to pass everybody else three times, and looking at a watch and writing down the time other cars drive by should be something even you guys can handle.

Hey- if it's not your game, fine, but I'd apreciate if you aspiring Petter Solbergs could keep the hijackings down to a line or two, we all get the message- .

Old 10-16-2003, 11:53 AM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
i've done few tsd rallies pete put up. all i have to say, he knows some good roads. i had a blast so did my gf. well, up to the point where the deer was trying to kill us

pete, i would love to do this one too. but i think i might have to skip out on this one. because I won't have my car back until the 31st.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:56 AM

Car Info: Silver WRX wagon
Looks like I will be able to make it. The navigational unit appears to be available that weekend too.

To refute those naysayers, these things are fun because.

1. You get to meet some people you might not get to meet otherwise

2. You get to drive on some fun roads you might not drive on otherwise

3. It's an excuse to get out of the house and drive

4. A little competition is fun. Now one cares if you suck at it and you might be good. Just do it and most likely you'll enjoy it

5. Driving at an average speed on a winding road with elevation changes is a fun challange. Cruise control is totally useless.

6. While it seems a bit intimidating to start its actually a lot easier to do than it sounds.

Tim
Old 10-16-2003, 01:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: WRB WRX 2003 Subaru Sedan
Pete, count me in. I can't believe you thought you had to wait for me to reply. I will try my best to get a co-pilot.

rich
Old 10-16-2003, 01:55 PM
VIP Member

And i too have to say. Anyone that things it's easy to maintain 35mph on a road posted 5-10 mph doesn't know how we run. You'ld be lucky to be on time.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by bushido
..... I can't believe you thought you had to wait for me to reply. I will try my best to get a co-pilot.

rich
I had a feeling you'd be there, just wanted to make sure!

And I'll be honest, I probably can't make this quite as exciting as last week, simply because these are a little busier roads that we need to share with other traffic, and not quite as twisty, I don't want to relive my head-on or Leo's bambi experience, but it should still be a lot of fun.

And by the way, where's Max? I expected him to be post whoring all over this place.....
Old 10-16-2003, 03:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 GR STi
He's in La-La doing his network gaming thingamajig.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:01 PM

Oh yeah, that's right-

but still, I wouldn't expect that to stop him from post whoring.....
Old 10-16-2003, 04:04 PM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
FYI, you got PM.

Originally posted by psoper
Oh yeah, that's right-

but still, I wouldn't expect that to stop him from post whoring.....
Old 10-16-2003, 05:45 PM
VIP Member

Although the roads won't be a out in the middle of nowhere like up in Humboldt, i'm sure we'll have a great time.

How long is Max gone for? 10 days or something like that, right?
Old 10-16-2003, 09:55 PM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
count me in.
Old 10-18-2003, 08:16 AM
VIP Member

YES!!!! Glad to hear that dropkick_muppet is coming out to play.
Old 10-18-2003, 09:01 AM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
my g/f is out of town for a wedding that weekend, so i'm going to be able to sneak out from under her thumb for some playtime. with any luck, i'll have my new turbo in by then
Old 10-18-2003, 06:31 PM

I just finished my first run-though of the route- and yeah, some of it is going to be a little bit boring at 35, but other parts will be plenty challenging.

I've put in a lot of "Free Zones" where there are no timing controls, so those of you who would be totally frustrated spending the whole time at 35 will have a chance to have some fun too.

One short section we'll have to keep it at 25, and that's followed by a mile or two of heavy traffic and a signal, so I'll have you start the 25 MPH portion early (so you'll finish it on time) and I'll put a pause in after the signal to get you back on time.

At the last Checkpoint I think we'll see everyone come in late, but it's free zone from there to the finish.

By the way, we need a location for finish and scoring, who knows the good places to hang out in Sebastapol?

(I'm thinking like a Pizza or burger place, some place to get a bite and a beer and hang out while I crunch the scores)

Quick Reply: I Can't Drive 35!!