I am sorry that I ever even thought of buying a forced performance turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 02:46 AM

Car Info: DGM 2011 WRX
I am sorry that I ever even thought of buying a forced performance turbo

So I bought a forced performance HTA68 when planning my 2.5 swap into my bugeye.

When deciding to do a 2.5 swap into my bugeye I decided on a Forced Performance HTA68 turbo, now maybe someone forgot to mention it but are these only designed for 2.0 liter engines or something? The lower coolant hardline doesn't have enough clearance from the engine block, {ai;is thoroughly annoyed with it. The first time it broke was 200 miles after the install, the line was clearly smashed into the block until there was major cracking leading to a coolant leak. I ordered a replacement part from FP which they sent for free, paul and I determined that we wanted some insurance on the clearances and flattened out the offending bend that was compromising the clearance.

Tonight, I'm taking my girlfriend home and my temp starts climbing, I instantly knew what it was and a brief inspection under the hood confirmed my suspicions. While our modification to the part helped prevent the issue immediately it just prolonged the inevitable by 800 more miles (engine is up to 1200 miles now).

I'm so sorry Paul, **** this ridiculous bull**** I don't even know how to address this other than calling up forced performance and raping them in the face with a saw.

Right now I'm just tired of dealing with half-engineered ****. Paul, I should've just gotten a goddamn VF48 and saved us both a huge headache.

This is such a pain in the *** right now because I don't know how I'm going to be able to get around, UGH. I don't even want to think about all the things I have that I need to do that this throws a wrench into.

Last edited by manhands; 08-06-2009 at 02:49 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:51 AM

Car Info: 05 WRB STi
sorry to hear that bro hope you get a solution soon
Old 08-06-2009, 03:18 AM

Car Info: 99 Legacy 2.5GT, 01 FOZZY
sorry to hear that as well man good luck!
Old 08-06-2009, 05:09 AM

Car Info: 2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
Ooooooooomgosh I can't wait for my 2.5 swap!!

Gl with your situation
Old 08-06-2009, 07:40 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Wow....this truly sucks.
~90% of the "performance" turbochargers are frankenstein, cobbled-together-from-spare-parts POS.

I really hope that the engine is ok after getting that hot.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:00 AM

Car Info: Nadda
Paul does recommend the best for your engine. Sucks on your engine, sorry to hear and GL with the swap out.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:34 AM
banned

Car Info: Honda RVT RC51
You're not the first person that's had problems with FP crap turbos.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:39 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
I had the same problem with the coolant line two years ago on an FP18g.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:44 AM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX PSM
get a new turbo, and sell that puppy on ebay!
Old 08-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
damn sorry to hear! Hope it all gets sorted out before BAM!
Old 08-06-2009, 10:00 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Yeah, I'm a big fan of IHI turbos. There are so many and they bolt right up and are reliable.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:16 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
That sucks

but, why not pull the turbo, and rethread and plumb the problem port for a AN-6 fitting hard 90 that should clear all the problems.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:51 AM

Car Info: bici putas
ATP turbo has a 14mm banjo to AN-6 flare. $30, probably another 30 for the hose.

This will solve your problem, and you wont have to pull the turbo since the center housing should be clocked with the oil line vertical and the water line horizontal, and the banjo is a 14mm.

I don't see why you are blaming Forced Performance for a petty fitment issue involving a coolant fitting. I approach any modification, bolt-up or otherwise, as a custom application. Especially with non-OEM parts; the VF48 would have been the easiest choice for sure. When the coolant line failed, FP sent you a new one for free. I don't see the problem here.

Granted FP has had some bad press, but I'd like to throw in some reason here. I had a Garrett T28 rebuilt with a 16G compressor wheel fitted, and it's been great for the past 1000 miles. Their customer service is great, and I'm comfortable that if my turbo does fail prematurely they'll remedy the issue.

I'm just tired of the forced performance bashing; until their turbos start grenading or there's a class action lawsuit against them, I feel they're a reputable turbo company that stands by their products.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:17 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
My issue is that most aftermarket/performance companies "engineer" their products to 85-90% of "perfect".

If a part is advertised to fit a particular make/model, then it should fit like OEM; no modification(s) necessary to make it work.

Tweaking a hardline, slightly ovaling a hole, isn't the end of the world.
But overheating a new engine because of an allegedly faulty part is inexcusable.

Originally Posted by knock
ATP turbo has a 14mm banjo to AN-6 flare. $30, probably another 30 for the hose.

This will solve your problem, and you wont have to pull the turbo since the center housing should be clocked with the oil line vertical and the water line horizontal, and the banjo is a 14mm.

I don't see why you are blaming Forced Performance for a petty fitment issue involving a coolant fitting. I approach any modification, bolt-up or otherwise, as a custom application. Especially with non-OEM parts; the VF48 would have been the easiest choice for sure. When the coolant line failed, FP sent you a new one for free. I don't see the problem here.

Granted FP has had some bad press, but I'd like to throw in some reason here. I had a Garrett T28 rebuilt with a 16G compressor wheel fitted, and it's been great for the past 1000 miles. Their customer service is great, and I'm comfortable that if my turbo does fail prematurely they'll remedy the issue.

I'm just tired of the forced performance bashing; until their turbos start grenading or there's a class action lawsuit against them, I feel they're a reputable turbo company that stands by their products.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:32 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
FP has definitely gone down hill quickly. I used to like the FP Green a lot, but their turbos have become less and less consistent over time. Sadly most of these turbos are just put together, not balanced, not checked. This is why I always disliked Deadbolt turbos and it looks like FP has gone the same direction now. There's just no match for OEM consistency, but there are a few companies that still do a good job. My top choices currently are ATP and Blouch.

Thanks
-- Ed

Quick Reply: I am sorry that I ever even thought of buying a forced performance turbo