Hwy 17 Fatal Crash

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 02:44 PM

Car Info: you've got an electrical problem.
what news channel? I'll write a second note and send it.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:22 PM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
There was another crash this morning on 87 in the early morning 6-7am near the airport involving a motorcyclist and three cars. My gf was telling me about it pretty intense.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:58 PM

Car Info: Black On Black Wingless 05 STI
I wrote to: Los Gatos Observer <editor@losgatosobserver.com>

Here is my email
To Whom It May Concern:

Your article about the fatal crash on Hwy 17 is by far disrespectful and completely sick. I personally feel showing images of a man’s body, tarp or not, is completely disrespectful. Show some respect for this person’s family and life they once had. You could have explained the situation in a lighter way than putting in "eventually forced to concede defeat", that is horrible. I am sure these people did all they could but for sake of being respectful, you could have chosen better words to explain the situation.

Thanks for your time,

- Jason
Here is the reply

Jason,

I appreciate your time letting me know how you feel. I'm very sad about this accident, personally, but it is news. Like the Kennedy assasination or the Challenger explosion, we report the news, like it or not. I meant no disrespect to anyone, certainly not the deceased or the paramedics who worked to save him.

As you can see from the responses, this article has generated a strong reaction. Maybe that's because I'm wrong, but I think it's because I conveyed a sense of how awful a tragedy like this is. I don't like this aspect of my job. If I could ignore dead bodies in public and still feel that I was covering the news, I would.

/alastair/
Alastair Dallas
Editor, Los Gatos Observer.com

Hey, we all have our opinions, I personally think he could have reported this story in a better way. I do not like the "NEW is NEWS" line, give me a break. Yeah I know this world is not a fairy tale but that does not mean you go off and write an article in such a way. Oh and the ultimate "save face" line about wishing to ignore dead bodies in public, yeah you just summed it all up to me!

I just think journalist need to step back and think before posting crap. This happens all too often and it all in the sake of what? Drama, Ratings, and what have you.

At any rate, I think the article is crap, disrespectful, and he clearly has upset several people.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:23 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
articles aside and such... I am a little surprised about the location of the crash... yeah 17 is hella dangerous... I have seen a lot of stupid things on that road... but for the crash to happen near the HWY 9 exit right as 17 straightens out... It just seems weird to me...
Old 04-14-2008, 08:47 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI
That is kinda messed up that the broadcasting agency put up a picture of the dead body under a tarp