Humboldt County thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 10:44 AM

Car Info: 2007 STI
so me and 3 of my friends got jumped leaving the VFW hall last night.........i hate getting punched in the face.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:18 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
Were you at that back to school party? I should have gone. I won free tickets but decided to crawl through the house parties instead. I also didn't want to end up stranded in Eureka.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:24 PM

yea it was ok....i sneaked in so i didn't have to pay.......but a lot of D-bags.
i think 15 fights broke out....they guy that punched me is in jail now so thats kinda funny.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:30 PM

There was a nice little brawl in the alley behind the bars last night too. There were something like 6 cars responding.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:44 PM

every one just need to relax.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:12 PM

Car Info: 07 2.5i SE OBP
Originally Posted by aboothman
Good luck getting a "subaru club" together with that kind of attitude.

I already have a "club" of Subie owners in this area. Most of us have lived around here a long time, and we have been at this Subie game a lot longer than you. In fact, you might take a look who created this thread 3 and a half years ago. We have been helping each other with our cars, as well as other things, for several years now.

I actually have experience with organization or racing events in Humboldt County. This includes securing a place to have the event, getting insurance, and outreaching enough people for the event to be a success. We even loaned out a couple race cars to get people started. We almost had a racing club going at Redwood Acres, who was going to donate a part of their grounds, until the typical "Humboldt Laziness" struck and it floundered.

The 2 or three meets that I have been aware of are not convenient for me, as I have stated several times. They are on days that I work, which means I am already driving 3 hours and day after working 8 at a very stressful and physical job. Any attempts to get the occassional meet moved closer...even to the south side of Eureka, have been met with negativity and laziness.

This is aside from the fact that my WRX was not running until sometime in July, so attending a meet would have been pointless for me.

If you care to review the previous pages of this thread, you will realize that I have offered several suggestions to you guys. If you were serious about getting a rally organized, however, you would be speaking with the folks that have done it.... including the ones who have already offered help in this thread.

It is too bad you are blinded by "Subaru snobbery" as well as ignorance and a **** poor attitude. Best of luck!!

Wow. I haven't had the energy to rebuke your very obvious bashing post, until now.

Because I said that I didn't want to take criticism from you, I'm a 'Subaru Snob?' I have only been in this 'Subie game' for 5 years now, and I dont go around saying "oh oh I have owned a subaru longer than you! I have "friends" here in fortuna and we all help each other out!"
Your right, I haven't organized 'racing events' before. I found out that there is much more involved in making one work. Also only 1 local person said they would help.

Your so cool. Your always right.
Are you happy now?

Say your sorry, stop being a D-bag and lets all move on.

Originally Posted by SomethingClassy
So...what you're trying to say is that the people who have been in the area for a while, and have already established and organized themselves, are going to set up a meet on the southern end for us new comers to attend? One big happy family? The more the merrier? Subi Luv?
Were still waiting...
Old 09-29-2010, 12:10 PM

Does anyone know how to fillet a salmon? We got 3 fifteen pound fish from one of a Hoopa fisherman. We were able to eat 2 on Sunday with an impromptu salmon social but proved that our ability to prepare a fish is limited. Cut up this last one for us and you can help yourself to some fillets.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:57 PM

Car Info: 02' JDM STi Ver. 7/8 Conversion
Originally Posted by SomethingClassy
Does anyone know how to fillet a salmon? We got 3 fifteen pound fish from one of a Hoopa fisherman. We were able to eat 2 on Sunday with an impromptu salmon social but proved that our ability to prepare a fish is limited. Cut up this last one for us and you can help yourself to some fillets.
Leaving the Head and Tail attached still, make the first cut just behind the gillplate, in the first soft section of tissue. Make this cut straight down, perpendicular to the backbone, or just a little slanted. Cut all the way down to the backbone, but don't cut through the backbone. Once you've cut down to the backbone, make sure you cut and free the lower (belly) section also. While holding the knife against the backbone, turn it 90° so the cutting edge faces the tail and the blade is parallel to the backbone. Then, while holding the belly flap up with one hand, start cutting towards the tail, with the blade parallel to the backbone, or angled just slightly towards the backbone, so it rides against it. You want to use the backbone as your guide. In the other axis, the tip of your blade should be angled a little towards the cutting board, you do this so your cut comes closer to the dorsal fin, you don't want to leave a thick strip of meat on the carcass above the backbone...

So all in a simpler explanation:
1) Gut the middle belly, lower bowel of the fish
2) Start your cut behind the gills
3) Cut down to the Backbone but not through
4) Continue cutting along the Spine down towards the tail
5) By that time it should be a detached boned filet
6) Do the same on reverse side by repeating steps 1-4
7) Now just debone your filets

Last edited by ViperWRX; 09-29-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:08 PM

That's pretty similar to what I already know. I think I just have the wrong equipment. I don't have a good fillet knife so I have to choose between a chef's knife or a meat carver. The carver moves through those littles bones much better but it's hard to feel out the spine so I tend to leave a whole lot of meat on there. Maybe I'll just stew what's left on the bones. Too bad deboning is such a pain in the ***.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:54 AM

lol yes it is. And a good knife makes a world of difference especially for meats.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:55 AM

Anyone coming over this weekend to Crescent City for the Car show? Unfortunately my car is still going to be in the shop so Ill just be sporting the GC6 RS for the night cruise. Its not as good as it used to be but there are some nice well built cars that show up. Usually that is.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:01 PM

Can we get some more info on the event? I don't have plans for the weekend and I'm sure I could pull in a few others that would want to make the drive.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:20 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Humboldt based Redwood Rendezvous in 2011?

If you guys are at all serious, I am willing to move my all day rally/camping event so that it effectively starts up there in Garberville or someplace closer to Eureka- but I need a couple of things from you guys in order to do so;

1) a serious commitment from at least 2-3 entrant teams, (solo running is OK but better to have a co-driver/navigator) -we usually try for 5, although I can write it for as many as 10, but we only had 3 run this year, and adding all the mileage needed to start up there just isn't worth the effort if I don't get enough support from people seriously interested in participating.

2) suggestions for roads to use on the rally route- since you guys live up there you probably know roads that I don't, and I hate to make too many trips out to explore roads that look great on a map but are blocked by a gate 7 miles back... the criteria I usually look for are roads that have a high "fun to drive" factor- either paved or unpaved, less traffic is better than too busy, cool scenery, nice places to stop for pictures.

3) a really awesome campsite- the bar is set pretty high in this regard, favorites we've used so far include the Mattole Beach and Usal Beach- out of the way, uncrowded so we don't upset other campers- with a river or ocean beach are ideal locations.

If you have ideas for any of this, please PM me rather than posting here, a big part of the "adventure" comes from people not having any idea where they are headed that day, so posting things publicly kind of ruins that aspect.

But I do start planning next year right about now, so I'd really like some input from you guys- but only if you are serious about joining the fun!
Old 10-04-2010, 07:40 PM

anyone want to drink tonight? its monday and my b-day was on sat but i worked!!!!
Old 10-04-2010, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jared
anyone want to drink tonight? its monday and my b-day was on sat but i worked!!!!
Can we take a rain check and go Wednesday/Thursday by chance? =D

And Happy Birthday!!

Quick Reply: Humboldt County thread