Humboldt County thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 11:15 PM

Car Info: '05 WRX STi
btw Adam aka aboothman is the shizniz, this guy is our best mechanic/troubleshooter of our little car crew. Adam pat yourself on the back. In such a short time you have come SO far learning about imports and forced induction (we all know you come from a racing background but American iron style). Humble you are.

Originally Posted by FromTheNorth
SO SICK! You decided not to sand down the mivec turbo letters? Looks pizmp either way
Thanks mang. I lost @ leat 5 brain cells b4 I remembered I need to use my charcoal filtered mask. For spray cans it turned out pretty ok. I know it was only the self etching primer but I still can't beleive you grabbed the can and started painting. LoL you wanted to see how siack it was going to look I know.

Bryan has been a huge help in what to check and how to do it. Just like Mike he just wants to see you run healthy and strong. Those two guys are A1 + in my book (Mike and Bryan) go above and beyond nay other to help you get running right.

Last edited by Never Slip'N'; 05-26-2008 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by FromTheNorth
SO SICK! You decided not to sand down the mivec turbo letters? Looks pizmp either way
Um it says "sneak peak"! LoL J/K mang. You will know soon enough!
Old 05-27-2008, 02:12 AM

Car Info: 2006 Evo IX SSL
Yo J, the paint job looks awesome. Hope u feel better dude, i know how you you've been in some pain lately.

The "ghetto garage" ownz all hahaha
Old 05-27-2008, 05:35 PM

Well I got some more pointers from Bryan on how to remove the timing belt. I called Adam and we are trying to get together after his class tomorrow to get this head off. Give me a call or something Jason.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:40 PM

Car Info: '06 Mazda 6s
Originally Posted by Never Slip'N'
Well I got some more pointers from Bryan on how to remove the timing belt. I called Adam and we are trying to get together after his class tomorrow to get this head off. Give me a call or something Jason.
Good luck with that guys hope it goes well.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:50 PM

Car Info: Fast
haha!! SUCK-cess. By suck I mean, well, it sucked lol...but it is done. Good thing is there are no valve marks on any pistons, or anything else ****ty appearance wise.

There are a few more banjo bolt gaskets and various things that you will need. The turbo oil line and one on the back of the head had to be pulled.

I would also think about some replacement power steering fluid, as I am sure a decent amount of it has leaked out by now.

Last edited by aboothman; 05-28-2008 at 10:53 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:54 PM

Well we FINALLY got the head off, EVO wasn't as "easy" as we thought, lol.

Name:  dowork7.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  80.2 KB

We love zip ties @ the "Ghetto Garage"!

Name:  dowork8.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  99.1 KB

Adam loves when I take his picture, he says I'm #1!

Name:  dowork9.jpg
Size:  78.5 KB

Name:  dowork10.jpg
Size:  106.4 KB

Name:  dowork11.jpg
Size:  88.6 KB

Exhaust valves on cylinder 1 look ok, so it just might be the seals! We will get it to the machine shop in the morning for testing and repair.

Name:  dowork12.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  74.7 KB
Old 05-28-2008, 11:03 PM

Hey J & Adam,

Thanx so much for all the time & effort put in to fix up my evo! I apologize for having to work during the swing shift hours, really leaves no room for me to be there to help or at least learn something along the way.

Lets hope the installation goes smoother than parting the head from the block.

I have the exhaust, intake, and head gasket on order so lets hope they arrive shortly. I also have the fuel rail o-rings and thermostat housing gasket coming as well.

Adam, you're gonna have to show me whats up with everything else im gonna need, for i am unfamiliar with some of the little extra things you've mentioned that ill need.

And also much thanx to Bryan Medway of GSTmotorsports for all the extra tips and.

Last edited by turbosmurf02; 05-28-2008 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by turbosmurf02
Hey J & Adam,

Thanx so much for all the time & effort put in to fix up my evo! I apologize for having to work during the swing shift hours, really leaves no room for me to be there to help or at least learn something along the way.

Lets hope the installation goes smoother than parting the head from the block.

I have the exhaust, intake, and head gasket on order so lets hope they arrive shortly. I also have the fuel rail o-rings and thermostat housing gasket coming as well.

Adam, you're gonna have to show me whats up with everything else im gonna need, for i am unfamiliar with some of the little extra things you've mentioned that ill need.

And also much thanx to Bryan Medway of GSTmotorsports for all the extra tips and.
Don't feel bad at all man we all understand. I offered from the beginning to help you through it knowing you work late hours. It's all good and we are all in this together. IT WILL go back together a lot easier because now we know how it's all connected . Adam is He-man, straight up! It's all downhill from here Jay so think good thoughts about solid race gas #'s and pulling hella boost! (and prolly beating my car ) LOL.

PS also think about how we are not having to replace a piston and ring or set or even valves it looks like, man it could have been SO much worse. Are you Irish?
Old 05-28-2008, 11:33 PM

HAHA Ive had some Irish

Cant wait for Bryan to retune & be in shock doing so
Old 05-28-2008, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by turbosmurf02
HAHA Ive had some Irish

Cant wait for Bryan to retune & be in shock doing so
Oh it's gonna PULL! My WRX is kinda scared
Old 05-29-2008, 07:02 AM

Bastard said he wasn't going to post that pic lol. I was going back to the Camaro days...I had to stand inside the engine bay to lift the heavy *** cast iron intake manifold out one time. The Intake Manifold was not cooperating, so I was trying to break it free that way.

It turns out it was an oil line that was holding us up the entire time Not only where it connected to the head, but where the oil line is secured to the head UNDER the intake manifold. Now I can see how it would be easy to pull the head with both manifolds, even though it would be a bit heavier that way.

It should be pretty easy to attach the intake manifold and then the head to the block. Honestly, the worse part will probably be getting the timing gears back on, and that should be pretty simple. J can run the headstud show, since he has done it before.

Get ahold of me this weekend and we can find the other parts you will need.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:27 AM

I think I just got in on a beta test for a new part from TIC (Turn in Concepts, where I get a lot of my bushings and suspension stuff). Not sure what it is, but it is for Sedan owners with Koni inserts :RockOn - not mine: I think it may be the Lichfield Type 25-style strut adjusters that I have been pushing them to make. That would be sweet, cause I would not have to remove my seat to adjust the Konis
Old 05-29-2008, 09:44 AM

um what picture

And congrats on testing the new bushings or strut adjuster!
Old 05-31-2008, 12:38 PM

Well the head is back and it is fixed! Didn't even need new seals just a little touch up on one. Now all the valves still seal the same. Man Jay you got LUCKY! All it cost you was new gaskets and the $105 for the testing and fixing of your valves. Gawd damn evo's!

Quick Reply: Humboldt County thread