How would you respond to this? (neighbor parking complaint)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 02:20 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Leave it in that spot again and set up something in the car that looks like a camera and have a little red light on it to make it look like you're recording a video thru their window.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:41 PM

Warning this vehicle has security cameras on board
Old 02-20-2014, 03:41 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Brfatal
Leave it in that spot again and set up something in the car that looks like a camera and have a little red light on it to make it look like you're recording a video thru their window.

We have a winner!

-Brian
Old 02-20-2014, 04:08 PM

Car Info: Whatever The Lot Provides ;)
*When I drove through last night after leaving the Meet, maybe like 11pm there were still a few spots on the Western side and 2 on the end of the loop.

Hell, there were 3-4 over on Salt Lake even still available.

/Just Saying
/Thread
Old 02-20-2014, 04:23 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI
Man this thread is still going.

How about I drive our 25 foot RV over there park on the problem side and ill be sure to fire up the generator hourly all the while having a **** play loudly through the stereo system.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:00 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1999 2.5RS / 2004 Forester X
So we got more development with this...

(for the record, gf didn't park by his window last night since another spot was open)

Couple days ago I called FPD and explained the situation to them very clearly, the woman I spoke to even pulled up a a google map while we were on the phone to see what I was talking about. Of course she verified that there is nothing the neighbor can do to prevent anyone from parking there as it is a public space. She suggested that we go talk to the neighbor to see if we could work something out.

Fast forward to last night, me and my gf go over and talk to the neighbor shortly after 6pm which was suggested in the note. Turns out its a asian man in his late 30's. He came out on the porch to talk to us which eventually became a heated argument.

When he came out everyone was calm and I let him explain himself and I explained our reasoning why my gf had been parking there (very clearly, step by step). I can't remember every single thing that was said but all the reasons he came up with for why he didn't want a car there were completely irrational, this is a summary of his gripe with the parking...

1. Not comfortable with cars being parked there
2. Worried people will be looking through his window
3. Carbon monoxide from cars coming though the window
4. Carbon moxoxide from cars damaging the sidewalk & street cement
5. Noise from car motors starting up near the window
6. He pays taxes on his home and cleans up the sidewalk an therefore doesn't want anyone there
7. He had a prior agreement with his neighbor nearby that they wouldn't park near each others houses
8. We are infringing upon his freedom by parking a car there

So everything he came up with was just a load of crap, I was hoping he had a legitimate good reason for not wanting cars there.

My opinion about his reasons...

1. Sorry you feel that way
2. We have no interest in looking into your home
3. Exhaust fumes travel upwards not sideways
4. Prove it to me
5. Nothing we can do about the db level of a motor starting
6. Boo ****ing hoo, all the other homeowners here pay taxes as well but you don't see them whining about it and leaving notes
7. That's nice but we never made such an agreement with him
8. Serious? Gimme a ****ing break!

Anyways, as we were walking away I ended up wrapping up the argument with:

I'm sorry you feel uncomfortable with cars parking by your window but its a pubic street and anyone is free to park there
Don't touch my gf's car again
Don't leave any more notes on her car
If you do will we be reporting you to FPD

He then kept insisting that I give him my contact info (phone#) so he could call instead of leaving a note but I just told him "I don't want you contacting me and you don't need to contact me".

At this point we are done trying to come up with an agreement with him since he won't listen.

Then this morning he puts a car out there with a car cover on it.

If he keeps it there longer than 72hrs, were calling the city to get it towed.

Hope he has a great weekend cause Monday morning isn't shaping up too great for him.
Attached Thumbnails How would you respond to this? (neighbor parking complaint)-carcover.jpg  
Old 02-21-2014, 03:13 PM

Car Info: 0[[XXXXoXXXX]]0
Answer to his items 1-8: Welcome to America, shut the **** up.

Time to buy/rent some real POS's and park them under the window for 71.99 hrs at a stretch...or a rapevan, whatevs.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
it is going to be VERY funny if that vehicle gets towed.

you could contact the FPD, let them know an update on the situation so they can document it for future reference/conflicts.

that is funny he wants your phone number.....so he can just call you and repeat the same complaints? lol although a voicemail from him would be funny.
you could sign up for gmail, then get a google voice phone number. takes only a few minutes. then it'll document him "harassing you" via phone calls and voicemails.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:15 PM
VIP Member

also next time record any and all interactions with him off your phone/video/whatever so you have proof on your side
Old 02-21-2014, 03:19 PM

Car Info: 0[[XXXXoXXXX]]0
Originally Posted by Rescuer
also next time record any and all interactions with him off your phone/video/whatever so you have proof on your side

And anything in writing via certified mail. propertyshark.com gives buyer's name, etc.

Last edited by oaklandish_WRX; 02-21-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:24 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX, 06 Evo IX MR, now 2010 STi
Paranoid people come in all ages.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by stg2lgcy00
So we got more development with this...

(for the record, gf didn't park by his window last night since another spot was open)

Couple days ago I called FPD and explained the situation to them very clearly, the woman I spoke to even pulled up a a google map while we were on the phone to see what I was talking about. Of course she verified that there is nothing the neighbor can do to prevent anyone from parking there as it is a public space. She suggested that we go talk to the neighbor to see if we could work something out.

Fast forward to last night, me and my gf go over and talk to the neighbor shortly after 6pm which was suggested in the note. Turns out its a asian man in his late 30's. He came out on the porch to talk to us which eventually became a heated argument.

When he came out everyone was calm and I let him explain himself and I explained our reasoning why my gf had been parking there (very clearly, step by step). I can't remember every single thing that was said but all the reasons he came up with for why he didn't want a car there were completely irrational, this is a summary of his gripe with the parking...

6. He pays taxes on his home and cleans up the sidewalk an therefore doesn't want anyone there
7. He had a prior agreement with his neighbor nearby that they wouldn't park near each others houses

So everything he came up with was just a load of crap, I was hoping he had a legitimate good reason for not wanting cars there.

My opinion about his reasons...

1. Sorry you feel that way
2. We have no interest in looking into your home
3. Exhaust fumes travel upwards not sideways
4. Prove it to me
5. Nothing we can do about the db level of a motor starting
6. Boo ****ing hoo, all the other homeowners here pay taxes as well but you don't see them whining about it and leaving notes
7. That's nice but we never made such an agreement with him
8. Serious? Gimme a ****ing break!

Anyways, as we were walking away I ended up wrapping up the argument with:

I'm sorry you feel uncomfortable with cars parking by your window but its a pubic street and anyone is free to park there
Don't touch my gf's car again
Don't leave any more notes on her car
If you do will we be reporting you to FPD

He then kept insisting that I give him my contact info (phone#) so he could call instead of leaving a note but I just told him "I don't want you contacting me and you don't need to contact me".

At this point we are done trying to come up with an agreement with him since he won't listen.

Then this morning he puts a car out there with a car cover on it.

If he keeps it there longer than 72hrs, were calling the city to get it towed.

Hope he has a great weekend cause Monday morning isn't shaping up too great for him.

Sigh... It's so sad and confusing when you are faced with completely irrational people. People are really strange about this, and it's fascinating to think what makes this fellow think that any of that makes any sense. I dealt with similar things when I lived in San Carlos and it's so sad, such an annoying PITA.

Also, if the car cover is covering the license plate, he's gonna have a bad time. If the car is not registered, or the reg has expired, he's gonna have a bad time.

Legally, you do not have to do anything, but, keep in mind that someone who is this crazy will also do crazy things. So, just make sure you CYA. Sounds like you are proceeding properly, as well as being a nice person when you don't even need to be. +1 to that!!
Old 02-21-2014, 03:43 PM
VIP Member

take another picture of the car, but turn your date/time on the camera so it shows it in the photo

take another photo tomorrow, and the next day

then in 72 hours you'll have the proper proof with the date in the photos that the car hasn't moved
Old 02-21-2014, 03:44 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Tough ****

His problem not anyone else's.

Suck it.

LMFAO.

See #1 response.

He does not own the sidewalk or street no matter how much he pays in tax or how much he sweeps.

Then he should move next to his old neighbor.

Sorry moron, but your "FREEDOM" does not include infringing on anyone else's freedom.

My NEW response for this guy, and this is my recommendation: Ignore him completely now that he has stated his opinion. DON'T do anything to make it worse, just do what you've been doing and park wherever you like. If he provides you with another note, turn a copy over to the police because it is harassment. He has ZERO legal grounds for anything right now, so tell him to pound sand.

Last edited by 04GG; 02-21-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:26 PM

Car Info: No more Subaru
So who's down having a new meet night at the corner of this guy's house?
Catless cars only!!
(Blinking dash cams +2 points)

Quick Reply: How would you respond to this? (neighbor parking complaint)