How would you respond to this? (neighbor parking complaint)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 12:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1999 2.5RS / 2004 Forester X
How would you respond to this? (neighbor parking complaint)

Ok, so a couple days ago my gf leaves my house in the morning and finds a note left on her car. She was parked around the corner from my house across from the park, on the side of some houses. Keep in mind the parking on my street gets really crowded all the time since a lot of people on my street own 3-5 cars per household. She only has to park in the particular spot marked (in the pics) when its the most crowded, usually she can park closer. So far this seems to be the best area since its not in front of a house and its across from the trees at the park which usually drop debris on the cars thats pretty hard to wash off if it dries.

I guess we just don't understand this "privacy concern" since no one is in the car all night, we aren't in the car we're in my house around the corner lol. I have noticed some kids parking along the curb by the park side and hanging out at night but not much else. The window of the house does face the street but we aren't standing there staring in, besides that they should just keep their blinds shut on the window anyways if they're concerned with privacy.

Yesterday I tried to go talk to them and reassure them there is nothing to worry about if her car is parked there but no one was home all day and into the evening. Maybe we should write back, "Could you please move your house down the street? We're concerned for the privacy of our car" ...haha. Anyways, can't understand why people think they have the right to regulate parking on a public street especially when its not even taking up space in front of where they live.
Attached Thumbnails How would you respond to this? (neighbor parking complaint)-street1.jpg   How would you respond to this? (neighbor parking complaint)-street2.jpg   How would you respond to this? (neighbor parking complaint)-note.jpg  
Old 02-14-2014, 12:56 PM

Car Info: Eclipse
Meh, I can kinda see where they're coming from, but then again, I hate it when any random car parks in front of my house. At least they were polite about it.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:01 PM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza RS, 2005 Impreza RS-20K
WTF. they want you to move into a space that has more direct line of sight into their home???? i call BS. besides, you arent on their property. Being the nice guy im sure you are, you can move it to reduce any future confrontation. But I wouldnt feel legally threatened by it or anything. They should be more worried about having a one story home on a street full of 2 stories...now THAT is more of an invasion of privacy. GL with everything bud! i just think they looking for something to complain about.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:03 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Tell her to suck a fat one.

It's public parking you're not blocking anything. If left a note again I would kindly call pd to let them know that this is happening so when they do actually vadilize your car (hopefully that never happens) its already a done deal.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1999 2.5RS / 2004 Forester X
Yea sometimes there is a whole row of cars parked along the entire curb by the blue van so sometimes she doesn't have a choice but to park there. And shes already tried parking across the street but too much crap from the trees falls on her car so that not an option.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:10 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
At least they are being nice about it. So I would respond in kind. I would just say something like...

I'm sorry that you feel your privacy is an issue but this is a public road and that is a public parking place. We feel it is more polite to park out of the way and not in front of other people's home's and drive ways where they would prefer to park. We'll do our best to park in appropriate places but when the road is full this is the most appropriate place.

Now... here's my real opinion on it. **** them.

That is a public spot. You live in a neighborhood. It's like like you live in BFE where houses have a half acre on any side of the house and you're driving up on to their property and parking. It's a neighborhood and that is a sidewalk. People walk there. Parking there is legal and acceptable. If they are that concerned for their privacy they should stop cooking meth in their house or move the hell out of the suburbs. Or holy crap get this... put up some blinds.

So my response... **** them. You're being polite by not parking in front of their house. I get irritated when people do that isht at my house but when the road is full... wtf are they suppose to do? Long as they're not blocking my drive way I honestly can't say much.

And unfortunately you're dead right. In the suburbs it's VERY common to have 2-3 families in one home. 3-6 cars is not unusual. Hell it's just my wife and I and we have 3.
Toss in a couple kids and what not. Easy. So these neighborhoods get slammed pack quick. And most people don't care. They'll park right in front of your house with no concern that now you have to park a quarter mile away from your own damned house. Once in a while... ok. Daily... i'd let em know.

What you did was polite. Screw them.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:20 PM

Car Info: 94 Integra beater: one Slow 3 Series RIP EvoX
It's public property, you can choose to ignore the note and park anywhere you deem adequate for your needs at that time.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:35 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
Just write on their note "i'm very sorry, but his a public street. Please understand that people are allowed to park anywhere on this public street. Have a nice weekend" and put it in their mailbox
Old 02-14-2014, 02:40 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX wagon
I hate parking under trees too. Just write back a kind letter (you're their neighbor after all) saying you don't mean to impede on their privacy, but the matter of fact is the car is located on the side of their home. And even mention, you don't park across the street to save parking for those who want to go to the park, etc.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:19 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
Post a turd
Old 02-14-2014, 03:23 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Why would you park backwards there? That would be illegal being that you would be facing the wrong direction therefore the car could be towed.

It's cool that they left a note and were trying to solve things reasonably, but at the same time: 1) This is not directly in the front of their house, it is off to the side, 2) They already have a tree that partially blocks that window and if they are concerned about privacy they need to take steps on their part (i.e. blinds, shutters, etc) to improve their privacy, & 3) It's Public Property and as such anybody is allowed to park there. Also, wouldn't they have MORE privacy by having a car in the spot in front of their window when nobody is in the car as then that makes it that much more difficult for people to look inside their place?

Personally I did just have a neighbor come knock on the door over the weekend. He came to tell me that the boat parked in front of the house was his boat and his buddy was being a "D***" and dropped it off there. He apologized for it being there and said it would be moved soon. I told him no worries as I knew that neither myself or neither of my other housemates were going to be home for a while yet anyways so it was all good. When I walked out of the house a little while later, sure enough he had already moved it. The funny thing was that I probably wouldn't have even noticed it had he not come to knock on the door, but it was really cool of him to do that as I definitely like a lot of the neighbors that I have met and that felt like a cool gesture on his part.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:07 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
Dear house 33068,

Kindly **** off.

Love,
My car
Old 02-14-2014, 04:34 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Pick your battles with your neighbors... if they want you to park across the street, just do it.
This isn't worth starting a blood feud over
Old 02-14-2014, 04:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
What ^OMA said.

-Brian
Old 02-14-2014, 04:58 PM

Car Info: 0[[XXXXoXXXX]]0
If they're so damned concerned about privacy, why did they buy a corner house across from a public park?? Eff 'em.

Quick Reply: How would you respond to this? (neighbor parking complaint)