How To Track My Car In The Bay From San Jose

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 07:22 PM

Car Info: Roxie.
Originally Posted by LGT Mark
Last thing, don't forget painters tape to put numbers on the side of your car. Or you can print your lucky number on paper with real big font, and then tape it on.
I've also seen others write their numbers on their windows with a window marker. I'm assuming this is another option to consider.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:03 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Originally Posted by paterick

I've also seen others write their numbers on their windows with a window marker. I'm assuming this is another option to consider.
Yeah. We use white shoe polish or washable window paint.

Some nice track day groups give you vinyls.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:59 AM

Car Info: 2011 STI Sedan
So as followup I ran Laguna Seca yesterday at a Hooked On Driving event.

After much thinking and a lot of recent distraction (new dog etc.) I ended up running with stock brakes, including fluid. RCE/Billstein shocks, R206 bits, Pilot Super Sports. Basically just the car as was, with numbers on the side and mats taken out. Put in a few gallons of 101 octane at the track since it was warm and I was a little paranoid about knock.

Great fun. Had some soft pedal in the penultimate session is greasy tires. Seemed like boiling fluid and too-sharp control inputs. All worked fine in the final session of the day. No ducts, no BBK.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:44 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by glider

After much thinking and a lot of recent distraction (new dog etc.) I ended up running with stock brakes, including fluid. RCE/Billstein shocks, R206 bits, Pilot Super Sports. Basically just the car as was, with numbers on the side and mats taken out. Put in a few gallons of 101 octane at the track since it was warm and I was a little paranoid about knock.

Great fun. Had some soft pedal in the penultimate session is greasy tires. Seemed like boiling fluid and too-sharp control inputs. All worked fine in the final session of the day. No ducts, no BBK.
Part of it is the parts most of it is you over driving it.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by sigma pi
Exactly. Having suffered some fade I said to the instructor at the start of the final session that I'd like to focus less on pace and more on driving smoothly. He approved of that, that's what I did, and at the end of the session said he suspected it had been the fastest.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:23 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 Toyota Prius Plug In 2011 Toyota Prius
Exactly. Having suffered some fade I said to the instructor at the start of the final session that I'd like to focus less on pace and more on driving smoothly. He approved of that, that's what I did, and at the end of the session said he suspected it had been the fastest.
Originally Posted by sigma pi

Good thing you were running the Auto gear box. A good friend of mine did a track event at Willow and his brakes faded to the point he had no stopping power at all. He decided slamming it into 2nd gear from 75mph would be an ample idea to make the car slow down. Personally I would have just ran off. Would rather replace junk rotors, pads paint than a motor.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by LifePlaza
Good thing you were running the Auto gear box. A good friend of mine did a track event at Willow and his brakes faded to the point he had no stopping power at all. He decided slamming it into 2nd gear from 75mph would be an ample idea to make the car slow down. Personally I would have just ran off. Would rather replace junk rotors, pads paint than a motor.
Mine was stick (in the STI). In fact when I ended up (just) into the gravel off the Corkscrew one reason was because my brake pedal needed to go down farther than my muscle memory for heel and toe thought right. So it didn't, and I hadn't bled enough speed.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:47 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
Originally Posted by MrPistachios
T hill on the 30th anyone going?
I'll be out there with a friend of mine. I'm running my silver bugeye in solo, he's running a white bug in point-by. If you're going to be out there solo, feel free to come over and say hi and/or hang with us in the pits!
Old 08-27-2013, 02:08 PM

Car Info: 2013 Impreza 5 Door
Originally Posted by Superusdm
I'll be out there with a friend of mine. I'm running my silver bugeye in solo, he's running a white bug in point-by. If you're going to be out there solo, feel free to come over and say hi and/or hang with us in the pits!
sounds good man I'll be in the driving school I have no idea if they talk to us after each session or if we wait around like everyone else

you guys grilling or anything for food?
Old 08-27-2013, 02:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 Toyota Prius Plug In 2011 Toyota Prius
Mine was stick (in the STI). In fact when I ended up (just) into the gravel off the Corkscrew one reason was because my brake pedal needed to go down farther than my muscle memory for heel and toe thought right. So it didn't, and I hadn't bled enough speed.
sorry reading this thread on mobile is teh suck and I got you confused with the op

my bad sorry about that.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:33 AM

Car Info: 08 WRB/Gold STI. EQ Tuned, E85, 340whp 390wtq

Come on back down in Oct, I just signed up for the Oct 3rd session at Laguna.

That'll give you time to flush the fluid for something better, and put some Carbotech's on. With that, next time out it'll feel amazing, i'll never forget my first drive with track pads, they are so much better than stockers both in bite & stopping power. I loved it, would run them all the time if i could stand the noise.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:28 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
Originally Posted by MrPistachios
sounds good man I'll be in the driving school I have no idea if they talk to us after each session or if we wait around like everyone else

you guys grilling or anything for food?
You will have mandatory meetings after your first two sessions, after that you'll have down time in between. We'll be doing burgers and sausages on a little propane grill and usually have plenty to go around. When im out there on my own I usually just roll by Safeway in the morning and pick up an "all-american" premade sandwich for 5 bucks. Theres a consession area and some restaurants near-ish-by as well.

Just got my reg packet in the mail on Monday. Definitely NOT excited to see that I need to leave sac by 6AM to make my drivers meeting. You've got a long day ahead of you coming from SJ.

Also- make sure you bring plenty of water and a foldable chair if you have one.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:37 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
Definitely NOT excited to see that I need to leave sac by 6AM to make my drivers meeting. You've got a long day ahead of you coming from SJ.
I highly do not recommend driving up from SJ the morning of. You'll be on adrenaline all day, pissing between every session (HYDRATE!!!)... but by the last session you'll be getting tired; which can be unsafe.

Then on the first 30 minutes driving away you'll feel like you're ok... until the adrenaline hangover kicks in and you'll have the massive urge to just curl up in a ball where you are and go to sleep.

Do a cheap motel the night before. Eat dinner close by and rest afterwards. THEN go home.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:09 AM

Car Info: 2013 Impreza 5 Door
Originally Posted by chimchimm5
I highly do not recommend driving up from SJ the morning of. You'll be on adrenaline all day, pissing between every session (HYDRATE!!!)... but by the last session you'll be getting tired; which can be unsafe.

Then on the first 30 minutes driving away you'll feel like you're ok... until the adrenaline hangover kicks in and you'll have the massive urge to just curl up in a ball where you are and go to sleep.

Do a cheap motel the night before. Eat dinner close by and rest afterwards. THEN go home.
I completely forgot about all that,
especially on a friday there will be traffic on the way back
Old 08-29-2013, 11:28 AM
2006 Mt Hammy Car Show Winner

Car Info: Black 03 WRX, White 04 E46 M3
Just got my reg packet in the mail on Monday. Definitely NOT excited to see that I need to leave sac by 6AM to make my drivers meeting. You've got a long day ahead of you coming from SJ.
NCRC summer track days start earlier. It's a good thing IMO as the last session is typically ~3-3:30PM when the temperature is just starting to peak for the day. If they started later in the morning your last two sessions would be in 95*+ weather.

Quick Reply: How To Track My Car In The Bay From San Jose