How To Track My Car In The Bay From San Jose

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 05:08 PM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Nothing wrong with tracking an automatic, as long as you know the transmission is stupid.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:20 PM

Car Info: '11 STI
mods for a track day: better oil, tires, brake fluid, and pads. You dont need any fancy rotors or anything else. from there just get as much seat time as possible. and honestly for your first time you dont even need new tires
Old 07-09-2013, 09:12 AM

Car Info: 2013 Impreza 5 Door
Originally Posted by glider
I'm about to head to my own first track day. Everything you've listed looks pretty similar to what I've turned up from my own research. Others with more experience will chime in, but I think you're on the right track considering a local autocross.
You get to consider a (subset of) the car prep, and you get to run the car at 10/10s in a safe environment. The difference between spirited driving and pushing the car to the limit of control is pretty remarkable.
Awesome yo let me know how that turns out and what you took/should've taken. Now I need to research autocrossing here in the Bay.

Originally Posted by NorCalPaintball
I'd recommend taking a small step back and learning in karting first... learn to drive a rotax (shifterless) kart or a shifter kart even in your 2nd step.
The fundamentals are basically the same, and if you get good at karting, you'll instantly be lightyears ahead behind the wheel of your car.
much cheaper also.
I never thought about that, it sounds like a really good idea, plus karting is always fun, Definitely going to do this thank you!

Originally Posted by LifePlaza
Don't over think bringing your car to the race track. Its still a car. Not a race car. No need to get all crazy with upgrades like brake rotors, brake pads, tires. Best start on what you got so you have a better idea after the track day what the car is asking for. Stick with beginner group and get an instructor to ride with you.
You pretty much nailed it with the helmet with anything with an SA2010 rating.
Yeah after doing all the researching everyone says tires wear out super fast and brake pads also wear and fade. I'm sure I won't be anywhere near as fast as others so I'm not sure how much wear I will have, But I don't want to risk having bald tires for work during the week, do you think my stock tires will have plenty of tread left?

I need to find a good place to buy car helmets so I can try them on before I buy,

Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
That's a pretty good breakdown of things to do. I'd highly suggest doing some AutoX events first. Get to know your car and understand it's weakpoints. Kating is a good idea to. Just going to a local place like K1, Le Mans, or Go Kart Racer and doing some sessions can give you an idea of what it's like to drive around a track.
As far as clubs, I hear that Hooked on Driving is a very good club for beginners. Once you get more experience, you'll hear more about the other clubs.
For tools, I don't think you will be able to find a lever jack to lift the car in one go. The car is rather heavy for that. I picked up an impact wrench from Harbor Freight and it's been working well. But it's not wireless so I can't use it at events. My buddy got a caliper spreader from Harbor Freight as well and it has proven to work pretty well.
I have a 5 gallon fuel jug. Although I've only used it once, I like it a lot. California is kinda weird about their fuel jug laws.I ordered one from out of state through Amazon.
For tires, I really like Dunlop. I have an old set of Star Specs and a new set of Direzza ZIIs. I like both. The ZIIs are the replacement for the Star Spec and I plan to get another set of ZIIs when the Star Specs are done.
For brakes, I recently got a set of Hawk HP+ pads and Centric Blank rotors. So far they have been great on the street and AutoX competition. Only downside is that they dust a lot and make a lot of noise at low speeds. If I wasn't restricted by SCCA's AutoX rules, I would have gotten Hawk Quietslot rotors.
I have a bunch of cans of Super Blue that I have been meaning to put in. I just haven't gotten around to it. I have heard good things about Motul though.
I'd stay away from Mobil 1. I have been having oil consumption issues and I have been trying some different oils. I have heard great things about Rotella T6, but I haven't tried it yet. This is why I suggest some AutoX first, you can see how you car reacts with different fluids.
Shops, for suspension and tires, I go to Auto Innovations. I love them. For fluids, (oil) I got to Lubrify. They have a bunch of off brands that are hard to get.
Although I have yet to go on to a track, I plan to. I have done a bunch of AutoX events. For a track day, the biggest things on my list to bring would be extra wheels/tires, extra brakes, the tools to change them, and extra fuel.
Thanks for all the help! good stuff narrowed down my list a lot! let me know when you try the rotella t6.

Originally Posted by darkonion
Nothing wrong with tracking an automatic, as long as you know the transmission is stupid.
Yeah it likes to rev like crazy and never move when you accelerate hard (CVT), I need to try and learn how to use the paddle shifters better but it just feels awkward without a clutch.

Originally Posted by flat489
mods for a track day: better oil, tires, brake fluid, and pads. You dont need any fancy rotors or anything else. from there just get as much seat time as possible. and honestly for your first time you dont even need new tires
its what I was thinking, I'm not sure how fast tires wear on a track day especially if I will be going all noob slow but I was worried about after because its my only car and I use it for both my jobs I don't want to be on bald tires and worn out brakes
Old 07-09-2013, 09:58 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 Toyota Prius Plug In 2011 Toyota Prius
Originally Posted by MrPistachios
Yeah after doing all the researching everyone says tires wear out super fast and brake pads also wear and fade. I'm sure I won't be anywhere near as fast as others so I'm not sure how much wear I will have, But I don't want to risk having bald tires for work during the week, do you think my stock tires will have plenty of tread left?

I need to find a good place to buy car helmets so I can try them on before I buy,
As long as your tires are not bald and in decent condition, you should be fine even after the event. It's not like you are drifting or doing burn outs or on R-comps. Yes the brakes on our cars do have much suck but if you are reaching these points you are over driving the car beyond your capabilities and the cars. Take it down a notch and you will still have fun

Are they're local pepboy shops nearby or a motorcycle store? You can try helmets on there and order online. HJC is the best bang for your buck imo for SA rated helmets.

Im sure one of the local shops/vendors on BAIC will have a dealer account with HJC. You can order through them or you can order direct.

Originally Posted by MrPistachios
Yeah it likes to rev like crazy and never move when you accelerate hard (CVT), I need to try and learn how to use the paddle shifters better but it just feels awkward without a clutch.

its what I was thinking, I'm not sure how fast tires wear on a track day especially if I will be going all noob slow but I was worried about after because its my only car and I use it for both my jobs I don't want to be on bald tires and worn out brakes
I've driven many car rentals (even a Prius) on race tracks before, AUTO paddle eco shifter, etc still fun. Just ease into it at your own pace. Slow in fast out. Help the car judge its braking and downshifting so you can get through the turns.

If you are on the stock tires, they will just a greasy feeling once they get hot. When I would track my stock legacy GT with the bridgestone RE92s it would start to feel greasy after 3 laps at Willow Springs Raceway. The stock brakes held up. I did get them to fade many times, make sure you do a cool down lap. Just keep a cool head, its your DD not a race car. You want to bring it home in one piece.

One last recommendation I will make. Buy a photo of you on track. Makes it all worth it in the end

Last edited by LifePlaza; 07-09-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by LifePlaza
As long as your tires are not bald and in decent condition, you should be fine even after the event. It's not like you are drifting or doing burn outs or on R-comps. Yes the brakes on our cars do have much suck but if you are reaching these points you are over driving the car beyond your capabilities and the cars. Take it down a notch and you will still have fun

Are they're local pepboy shops nearby or a motorcycle store? You can try helmets on there and order online. HJC is the best bang for your buck imo for SA rated helmets.

Im sure one of the local shops/vendors on BAIC will have a dealer account with HJC. You can order through them or you can order direct.

+1 on HJC. I had bought a g-force helmet but did not like the fitment at all, ended up selling it and buying a HJC AR-10 from saferacer.com
Old 07-09-2013, 10:27 AM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
Go try the helmet at a store, although I'm looking for a store myself. And I'd recommend some new brake fluid before hitting the track, I boiled mine the first time I went out to the track and it was horrible for about a week until all the moisture was gone.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:26 AM

Car Info: 08 WRB/Gold STI. EQ Tuned, E85, 340whp 390wtq
Just brake pads (something like carbotech XP8) and fluid (ATE blue, Motul) will be enough to keep you & the car safe out there. A car thats slow around corners or underpowered can still be fun, but there is zero fun in a car that gets bad brake judder, or pedal to the floor when you overheat the fluid

Tires will not be bald after 5 20min sessions so don't worry about that...

Make things easy/low stress for yourself so you can focus on enjoying the day & the driving, don't bother carrying a bunch of tools/eqpt to the track & working on the car there.
Weekend before the trackday, get the car serviced, do oil/filter change, and do a brake fluid flush & replace with whatever you choose. Pads you can do in your garage, but for best results you should skim the rotors & swap the pads at the same time to avoid any potential material compatibility issues.
I got all that done at a dealer before my 1st trackday & had great brakes all weekend.

My experience as a track noob with Hooked on Driving was great., small groups, instructor for every session if needed & no stress. they rent helmets too, so no need to buy one until you are sure you enjoy it.
Good luck!
Old 07-09-2013, 11:40 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
^Sage advice right there.

What's your experience with tow hooks? Are there requirements? I saw that you run OE hooks front and rear. I like that and I plan to do the same.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:45 AM

What's your experience with tow hooks? Are there requirements? I saw that you run OE hooks front and rear. I like that and I plan to do the same.
Yea all you need are the OEM tow hooks. I know NCRC didnt require any, they just said if you dont have one they will tow from wherever they can
Old 07-09-2013, 10:43 PM

Car Info: 08 WRB/Gold STI. EQ Tuned, E85, 340whp 390wtq

Yeah, OE hooks front & rear, i picked up an extra from the dealer.
HoD advise if you have one, install it, but its not an absolute requirement.
I figure its better to put them in & not need them than the other way round.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:12 AM
2006 Mt Hammy Car Show Winner

Car Info: Black 03 WRX, White 04 E46 M3
Originally Posted by flat489
Yea all you need are the OEM tow hooks. I know NCRC didnt require any, they just said if you dont have one they will tow from wherever they can
Originally Posted by S'poreSTI
Yeah, OE hooks front & rear, i picked up an extra from the dealer.
HoD advise if you have one, install it, but its not an absolute requirement.
I figure its better to put them in & not need them than the other way round.
Absolutely install your OE tow hook for a track day. The event organizers may not require a tow hook but if you happen to need a tow.. the tow driver is going to find a way to get your car back on track as quick as possible. This usually involves him attaching the tow strap to a control arm, trailing arm, etc.. It's easier to install the OE tow hook than to replace a bent suspension component
Old 07-10-2013, 07:52 AM

Car Info: 2013 Impreza 5 Door
alright I updated everything and now it seems so easy to go.
I can probably do a track day a lot sooner than I thought.

Also I just found out a coworker does track days all the time.

Thanks for all the input guys
Old 07-10-2013, 01:17 PM

Car Info: Toyota camry
hertz rental with full coverage is one of the best experiences!
Old 07-10-2013, 03:49 PM

Car Info: 05 18g LGT Wagon | Former 08 LGT Spec.B
nice list.

Don't forget to bring a folding chair if you want to sit somewhere other than your car seat all day. Oh and bring a hat. Last thing, don't forget painters tape to put numbers on the side of your car. Or you can print your lucky number on paper with real big font, and then tape it on. Some people tape their headlights to protect against rocks.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 Toyota Prius Plug In 2011 Toyota Prius
Tracks: Any other places I can go?
*Leguna Seca - 73 miles from San Jose
*Infinion/Sonoma/Sears Point - 78 miles from San Jose
*Thunder Hill - 177 miles from San Jose
*Buttonwillow - 217 miles from San Jose

Here are two sites you can visit for pricing and availability.

https://speedventures.com/events/Default.aspx
September 15, 2013 MAZDA Raceway Laguna Seca (105db) $340 This event open to All Drivers, All Cars.

Trackmasters Racing Home
Thunderhill Raceway
Aug 16
Mazda Raceway
Sep 15
Sears Point Autocross
Sep 21
Sonoma/Sears Point
Sep 21
Sonoma/Sears Point
Sep 22
Thunderhill Raceway