How NOT to get pulled over???

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 04:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: subaru
Follow the law and you won't get a ticket. Unless you're a minority.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:43 PM

Car Info: 1990 turbo miata
Originally Posted by Bismarck
Correct. That's for the lifetime membership - the one that gives you the badge, pin, plaque and license plate frame. As for knowing someone who's already a member - not sure on that.

For those who are curious about what the 11-99 Foundation:

The CHP 11-99 Foundation is a group that supports the wives and dependents of CHP officers killed or disabled in the line of duty. 11-99 is the CHP code for 'Officer In Distress', hence the name of the foundation. The organization is widely recognized and respected by the CHP, and increasingly so with other state and local law enforcement agencies.

Anyways, the 11-99 Foundation is actually DOES support the officers directly - it's not some BS charity thing (such as the Police Activities League) where you really have no idea where your money is going. They help pay for medical expenses, monetary support while the officer is on disability, legal fees, extra care for their children and wives, etc. If you hadn't noticed, I'm a big proponent of the 11-99 Association.

But while membership hath its privileges, there are some caveats that come with it. So these are some guidelines for those that get involved that can make your life a little easier when dealing with the police:

1) DO NOT get pulled over with an 11-99 frame without carrying the badge, or otherwise being able to prove that you are in fact a member in good standing. That's an almost guaranteed ticket. They had a problem with people buying extra frames for all their cars, then having them given / sold to friends, neighbors, etc who were NOT members. People were also leaving them on the cars that they sold, and thus more got out into the world to non-members. So now if they see an 11-99 plate, they might not pull you over in the first place, yes. But if you DO get stopped, and you can't prove you're the real deal, the officer is not going to be pleased.

2) It's not a guaranteed 'get out of tickets free' item. You can't just throw the badge in the officer's face and expect him to let you go. You need to be polite, courteous and discreet when you hand over your license and badge (I carry my license and badge in a separate badge wallet and just hand that over). Most of the time, if the officer recognizes what it is, he'll probably let you go. If he doesn't, disputing it with the officer on the side of the road is probably not going to help your cause.

3) The 11-99 Foundation CAN revoke your membership. There have been few documentated cases of this, but I know it's happened. If you anger enough officers, or the wrong officer, it WILL get back to the association administration and they WILL do something about it. They won't jeopardize their standing with law enforcement because of one or two 'bad apples'. The general idea behind this is that spending $1800 doesn't buy you the right to be a pecker to any officer who pulls you over. What it DOES buy you the right to have an officer cut you some slack and let you go when you damned well deserve a citation.

As always... YMMV.

- Bis

if someone were to have one the the lisence plate frames but are not a member what is the punishment?
Old 05-08-2006, 01:55 PM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
paint your face white
Old 05-08-2006, 02:03 PM
-j-

Car Info: 2006 Audi A3/2007 Civic Si
A big "L" for love on you forehead
Old 05-08-2006, 02:16 PM

Car Info: 06 Evolution IX MR Graphite Gray
Originally Posted by thesnowboarder
if someone were to have one the the lisence plate frames but are not a member what is the punishment?
There's nothing illegal about having an 11-99 plate without being a member of the association - at least none that I'm aware of. So there's no "punishment" in the traditional sense. But you're almost guaranteed to get a citation for whatever it was that got you stopped in the first place if you can't back up the plate with a badge or some other evidence that you're really a member of the association.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:34 PM

Car Info: 씨발 개새끼야.
i always do this thing whenever i drive my car:

1. just follow the laws & rules as many as i could
2. show respect to the officer when i got pulled over, even though i am pissed
3. drive slow, especially around 25 mph zone and holloway SFSU
4. drive behind CHP on the freeway

u know why, because i cannot bribe the cops in this country!!!!

Last edited by Prjct lancaster; 05-08-2006 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:39 PM

Car Info: sc300
obey the laws...

traffic laws
car modification laws
littering out the window laws

its as simple as that
Old 05-08-2006, 06:01 PM

Car Info: 04 2.5rs san remo red, stock
i have a radar detector that was my dads from long long ago... could it possibly be outdated?
Old 05-09-2006, 12:25 AM

Car Info: 2004 USDM STI
Originally Posted by ucbsti
paint your face white
werd
Old 05-09-2006, 01:30 AM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
As much as I want to give people the benefit of the doubt with respect to the police being racist...check out my posts about the overt J-stalking. Only one (out of 6) who got bunk J walking tickets were white. 1 Korean, 1 Chinese, 1 Vietnamese, and 2 Hispanic. Racism? Not really. It was opportunism.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:19 AM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

flash a family relative's biz card, who works for a local PD... :evil smiley:
Old 05-09-2006, 12:19 PM

Car Info: sc300
last time i checked not being white isn't illegal.
i dont think cops are just allowed to make up tickets to write out.
if you get pulled over a lot don't blame it on not bein white... because ur doin somethin suspicious.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:45 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by MVWRX
^^I got a $111 j-walking ticket in Westwood while I was at UCLA. I couldn't pay it (because I was broke), and when I finally could it cost me $600. If anyone has a more expensive ticket for a more benign crime, I'd like to hear it*.

*I j-walked across Brockton on Weyburn, a one way intersection where there is NO traffic at 1:30 AM (when I crossed it), just as the walk sign started blinking. The LAPD was waiting in an unmarked, unlit car just across the street. I called BS and got the riot act (including handcuffs and a seat in the back of the car) for J_WALKING!!!

I got a $284 pedaling without a lisense ticket back in the day for selling a couple basketball tickets AT face value. What a mess. Nearly killed the short man simplex cop. Guy comes running up. Yells at me to give him the money and sticks his hand in my pocket...or tried to. No identification. I had one hand on his collar and the other about to knock his face off when I saw the chain....told him to identify. He did. San Jose PD...it was when warriors played there.

long story short he got reemed. One of the guys I was with got the back seat cuff treatment. Got released. We got better seats for free but I still had to pay the damn ticket. Went to court...cost me $54.

apparently you can't sell tickets on the property...EVEN at face value.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:23 PM

Car Info: sti05
Talking

get a MT. bike or just be a passenger..
Old 05-09-2006, 04:32 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Originally Posted by OneManArmy

apparently you can't sell tickets on the property...EVEN at face value.
yes, that is scalping.

what i used to do, when my father got a's playoff tixs, was i would go allllll the way out to the malibu racing place and sell it there...

Quick Reply: How NOT to get pulled over???