How much oil does your WRX drink?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 09:26 PM
Hurray, it's Ian!!

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX Sedan
from like 40K-50K, for some reason i'd be eating a quart of oil every 1000 miles or so. around 50K my motor blew while i was making a U-Turn. the dealership determined my bolt-ons had nothing to do with the motor dying, and they actually had no idea what caused it, so I got a new shortblock and rebuilt heads. because of it.

i have about 14K miles on the new motor, and so far it doesn't even seem to eat up any at all when i check and change it every 3-4K miles.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:11 PM

Car Info: WRB STi Hatch, JSW Diesel
i drink about a quart every 3k miles and i have 47k miles on my car =[
Old 02-12-2006, 10:27 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
Originally Posted by yayitzian
from like 40K-50K, for some reason i'd be eating a quart of oil every 1000 miles or so. around 50K my motor blew while i was making a U-Turn. the dealership determined my bolt-ons had nothing to do with the motor dying, and they actually had no idea what caused it, so I got a new shortblock and rebuilt heads. because of it.

i have about 14K miles on the new motor, and so far it doesn't even seem to eat up any at all when i check and change it every 3-4K miles.
what dealership did you go to? and did you have engine management?

I have an uppipe, short downpipe, stock 3rd cat, cat-back, IC hoses, and a cobb tune( used to have EcuTek). I am pretty sure a dealership would turn me down if I attempted to have warranty work even though I did spend the extra $$ for the 7 year/100K warranty.
If something happens, I might ask Mark @ SSC but I wouldn't expect a possitive answer.

I will most likely just buy a Gruppe-S 2.5L motor w/ P&P heads, helix cams, and a TD05 or something. then in a month or so I will be needing a new tranny. LOL!
Old 02-12-2006, 11:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
My '03 WRX used a qt of oil about every 3500 miles from when it was new. I switched to Mobil1 at 10k miles and then 10w30 instead of 5w30 and it got better, but then I sold the car. I changed every 5k, and topped every 3500.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:02 AM
Hurray, it's Ian!!

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by mcdrama
what dealership did you go to? and did you have engine management?

I have an uppipe, short downpipe, stock 3rd cat, cat-back, IC hoses, and a cobb tune( used to have EcuTek). I am pretty sure a dealership would turn me down if I attempted to have warranty work even though I did spend the extra $$ for the 7 year/100K warranty.
If something happens, I might ask Mark @ SSC but I wouldn't expect a possitive answer.

I will most likely just buy a Gruppe-S 2.5L motor w/ P&P heads, helix cams, and a TD05 or something. then in a month or so I will be needing a new tranny. LOL!
i did in fact goto mark. i did not have engine management however. all i have is a turbo timer, up/down/catback, elbow delete thing, a different air filter... i just put it back to stock...ran out of stock sized gaskets, so stock piping with gaskets made for 3" piping were on there...exhaust leak....it looked ridiculous and poorly done ( did it in about an afternoon + night) upppipe was the worst...took like 15 minutes to get helix uppipe out, and like 4 hours to get the stock one in.

umm anyways, he told me my driveshaft was broken, piston ring stuck in a valve, and some connector rod bent. he thanked me for taking the time to put my stuff back to stock, could not determine cause of the problem (including the mods) and called SOA for a new block
Old 02-13-2006, 10:00 AM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Originally Posted by mcdrama
ok, something is up. I checked the car this morning after it had sat all night, but the drivers side was about 1.5" higher then the passenger side. It was below the L.

I drove the car a few miles(280&880 to 85 to el camino real) to my friends house to swap his old springs with the jdm springs on his STI struts with only hand tools so that was about 4 hours.
Check the oild on perfectly level ground, still below the Low mark.

I then drove home but stopped at costco and picked up a couple cases of mobil 1 and added 1quart in the parking lot and went home.

I just checked it after it had been sitting for 2+ hours and now its just below Full mark.

I am almost tempted to drain it and measure how many quarts come out.
Am I crazy?

I've always been under the impression that the distance between the empty and full marks on the dip stick represent 1 full quart...so going from slightly below empty to slightly below full with exactly one quart sounds about right. I wouldn't drain it.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:25 PM

Car Info: 05 PSM STi
Hey well at least you dont have an STi that drinks 1 qt every 1k..... so far i've added 6 gallons of oil to my car since i bought it in dec 04... yours is fine......
Old 02-13-2006, 07:02 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB 4EAT VF34 Kit w/AP
Cobb Stg 2 with 110,000 miles and I burn between 1/4 and 1/2 quart per 3000 mile oil change