How much oil does your WRX drink?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 10:21 AM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
Question How much oil does your WRX drink?

the more miles I have put on my car(up to 59K now), the more I notice that my car likes to drink oil. There are no spots in my drive way at all so I know its not leaving the motor there. I am going to change my coolant pretty soon so I guess I will see if there is any oil in there.

My driveway is also slightly uneven depending where I park and the dip stick is on the high side and the oil is at the L point.

Its been about ~2200 miles since I changed my oil last, going to move it to a level spot on my drive way and check then.

Any ideas, suggestions, etc... are appreciated.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:41 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX
i have 68k on my 02. i have to top off the oil every two - three weeks. in between oil changes[3000mi] i use about half a quart.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:11 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
I didnt do the break in on my wrx, but I was told that it was done according to the subie manual. I bought it from a friend who treated it nicely, but def. didnt drive like a grandma The first oil change was done at either 3K or 3750 and switched to redline synthetic 5w30 with oil changes done every 3K - 5K miles.

Now at 51K miles, Im under the impression that oil consumption soley depends on how I drive. If I try to conserve gas (not drive like a demon) it wont consume any oil. BUT if I drive hard (which I normally do), at high rpms or go to redline alot, it WILL consume oil. I add an extra quart every 1K to 2K miles.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
1/2 a quart of 10-30w
Old 02-12-2006, 02:11 PM

Car Info: 02 Silver WRX sedan. Eibach springs, Blitz NUR cat back, Rota 17" Attacks, Cobb AccessPort/DP
129K miles...

My o2 wrx AP stage 2 custom tune doesn't burn enough to notice in between 3000 mile oil changes. I check it about every 3 weeks. I havn't noticed it go down yet. I've been using Chevron 5-30 ever since I bought it back in 02. You have to love Japanese engineering.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: stock 04 wrx sedan
Originally Posted by mcdrama
the more miles I have put on my car(up to 59K now), the more I notice that my car likes to drink oil. There are no spots in my drive way at all so I know its not leaving the motor there. I am going to change my coolant pretty soon so I guess I will see if there is any oil in there.

My driveway is also slightly uneven depending where I park and the dip stick is on the high side and the oil is at the L point.

Its been about ~2200 miles since I changed my oil last, going to move it to a level spot on my drive way and check then.

Any ideas, suggestions, etc... are appreciated.
yea get rid of your crawford block
Old 02-12-2006, 02:34 PM
VIP Member

Location: EBAIC- Wondering if I should have taken the blue pill...
Car Info: 03 WRX wagon type RA
Originally Posted by Chrisnonstop
My o2 wrx AP stage 2 custom tune doesn't burn enough to notice in between 3000 mile oil changes. I check it about every 3 weeks. I havn't noticed it go down yet. I've been using Chevron 5-30 ever since I bought it back in 02. You have to love Japanese engineering.
Non-synthetic?
Old 02-12-2006, 03:40 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
I'm pretty sure pushing your car is going to eat up oil like no other. I know after Shiv tuned my car, it needed about 1 quart of oil after the pulls. IIRC, he said he did atleast 20 pulls to make sure everything was perfect.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:57 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
38k my03 doesn't burn enough to notice. I check it every time I fill up, the most it's probably ever burned through is 1/2qt. every 3k.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:49 PM

I have been tuned for about 30K miles, had an uppipe for about 9K, thay I suppose hurt my motor a bit.

I suppose when I find something wrong I will get a Gruppe-S 2.5Lshort black, and have the heads done by Crucial, then toss in some cams while I am at it. No point in skimping if the damn motor is out anyway.

I don't drive like I stole it, but I get on it pretty much everywhere I go. I have notice oil consumption just seems to be going up with more miles, but I guess I do drive it kind of hard every where I go. But hey, I got this car to have fun with, so that is what I am doing.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:12 PM

Car Info: WRB '02 WRX
Originally Posted by mcdrama
I don't drive like I stole it...
more like you'd just borrowed it from someone you don't like...

teasin'

Yeah, I drink about a half-quart per oil-change... part of the price of fun.
See yez round.

M
Old 02-12-2006, 06:21 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon and 08 Civic Si
there is nothing wrong with a little oil consumption it seeps past the seals in the turbo and if you have a catch can on the PCV there is oil in the can too..
a half a quart between changes is normal for a turbo engine and if you have high mileage then it could consume a bit more but i would not worry about it much unless your at a quart a week LOL then there is def somethin wrong..
mine is a 05 and it was broke in properly by me and now has uppipe downpipe catback and cobb AP protuned by gruppe s and mine uses about 1/2 quart between changes.
and im running redline 5w 30.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:00 PM

I checked it on level ground, and it was below the L.
I am at about 2200 miles since the dealship changed my oil. I would have thought that they would say something when when changing the oil(its been changed by them for 60K miles).

Maybe I should do a leak down check. :x
Old 02-12-2006, 07:28 PM

Car Info: ..........
I myself am creeping up on 50k miles and burn about 1/4 quart every oil change (~3kmiles), so i consider myself pretty lucky
Old 02-12-2006, 07:30 PM

ok, something is up. I checked the car this morning after it had sat all night, but the drivers side was about 1.5" higher then the passenger side. It was below the L.

I drove the car a few miles(280&880 to 85 to el camino real) to my friends house to swap his old springs with the jdm springs on his STI struts with only hand tools so that was about 4 hours.
Check the oild on perfectly level ground, still below the Low mark.

I then drove home but stopped at costco and picked up a couple cases of mobil 1 and added 1quart in the parking lot and went home.

I just checked it after it had been sitting for 2+ hours and now its just below Full mark.

I am almost tempted to drain it and measure how many quarts come out.
Am I crazy?

Quick Reply: How much oil does your WRX drink?