How many of you have had the Swine Flu?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 01:24 PM

Car Info: 2005 forester
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
my wife does too and she got through it o.k. with no medication. And all she could take was Tylenol because she was pregnant.

It's the same process really. Lots of fluids. Vitamins and rest. Do your best to keep the temp down. Go in if it gets really bad.

My temp busted over 104 and hung around it for 3 days straight. My wife's was a bit lower. Mostly between 100-101 but did get up around 103 for a little while.
Wow I get a bad chest cold evry year also! Im really worried as im not in the best shape ive been in and im 40!!! dam its hell getting old!
Old 11-04-2009, 01:36 PM

Car Info: 97' Dodge Cummins and an RSTI thingie
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
That's how I've felt about it. Actually has less deaths put on it than the regular flu.

I think it's odd that we're in a health crisis (financially/government issue) and then we get a super bug that has people flooding to the doctors offices like crazy. Good for my wife for job security but still odd.
Well let me put something into perspective.

"HUGE PANDEMIC OMFG VIRUSES (Per media and government)"
Norovirus
Avian Flu
Swine Flu

Solution:
Expensive huge pharmaceutical company backed vaccine (eg. Tamiflu) which is stockpiled by the government.

Real Pandemics which have less media coverage and are bacterial based:
MRSA
C Diff
VRE

Solution:
antibiotics, thought the bacteria are becoming resistant, pharmaceutical companies are cutting back on research for more powerful ones because its not cost effective. Some work has been done on phage therapy, which is really expensive and may be the new big thing.

Think about this, you're a big drug company and you want the highest profit. What's going to net you more money, an antibiotic which will kill something in 1-2 weeks, or a more expensive vaccine for something which people will get every year (for the rest of their lives hopefully).

Last edited by code3suby; 11-04-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:44 PM

Car Info: 2016 CWP WRX
wow. OMA, were you in the hospital w/ that 104 temp? as a medic, i would have taken you code 3 to the nearest hospital. i hallucinate when i hit 103.....and i am like your wife. as an ex medic, there are MANY other yucky stuff people could be afraid of. the timing is pretty odd.....

well put code3. right on track w/OMAs point. once you have seen how our medical system works from front to back (field to released from hospital) it is mind boggling how we have gotten to here. well, if you throw the drug makers, then it makes SOME sense.....

MRSA et al, now THAT is scary crap....
Old 11-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: WRX, EVO, MSP3
My wife and daughter had it (confirmed via Hospital visits) my daughter was out for about 5 days, my wife was on her **** for 2 weeks and as sick as I have seen her. I caught something during my wife's bout which had me feeling like I had been hit by a MACK truck for 2 days then like crap for another couple. No idea if I had H1N1 as you'll have to kill me to get me in a hospital.

Mike
Old 11-04-2009, 01:56 PM

Car Info: 97' Dodge Cummins and an RSTI thingie
Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
My wife and daughter had it (confirmed via Hospital visits) my daughter was out for about 5 days, my wife was on her **** for 2 weeks and as sick as I have seen her. I caught something during my wife's bout which had me feeling like I had been hit by a MACK truck for 2 days then like crap for another couple. No idea if I had H1N1 as you'll have to kill me to get me in a hospital.

Mike
Yeah only reason I went to the hospital (and got confirmed it was the H1N1) is that it triggered a migraine (which I get a few times a year which render me useless) and I ran out of meds and the MD couldn't see me for 2 days.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:57 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by josh
wow. OMA, were you in the hospital w/ that 104 temp? as a medic, i would have taken you code 3 to the nearest hospital. i hallucinate when i hit 103.....and i am like your wife. as an ex medic, there are MANY other yucky stuff people could be afraid of. the timing is pretty odd.....

well put code3. right on track w/OMAs point. once you have seen how our medical system works from front to back (field to released from hospital) it is mind boggling how we have gotten to here. well, if you throw the drug makers, then it makes SOME sense.....

MRSA et al, now THAT is scary crap....
No. I'm stuborn. The wife tried a few times. She actually tricked me in to going to the doctor. She made an APT. for her and I went with her. When we got there they called my name. She made me an apt. Shoved that giant ctip into my brain.

Yeah I don't like doctors. I got food poisoning so bad once that I was convulsing on the bathroom floor and still wouldn't go it. I went delirious and she got me in. Took at least 2 bags of fluid and kept pulling the IV out because I didn't know where I was.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:35 PM

Car Info: 2016 CWP WRX
oh, ic, your one of THOSE patients OMA.... Tell ur wife i already comiserate with her when you get to be say 50ish.....

and i am pretty much like u in that i almost have to be dead before you can get me into an ambulance or a car to go to the Doc/ER. When I had my 104 temp, i dont remember most of the day....

josh
Old 11-05-2009, 12:08 AM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
on the news tonight they said that to watch your pets cus a cat caught the h1n1 from its owners when they got sick..
Old 11-05-2009, 01:28 AM

Car Info: 2015 SWP WRX
Originally Posted by code3suby
Well let me put something into perspective.

"HUGE PANDEMIC OMFG VIRUSES (Per media and government)"
Norovirus
Avian Flu
Swine Flu

Solution:
Expensive huge pharmaceutical company backed vaccine (eg. Tamiflu) which is stockpiled by the government.

Real Pandemics which have less media coverage and are bacterial based:
MRSA
C Diff
VRE

Solution:
antibiotics, thought the bacteria are becoming resistant, pharmaceutical companies are cutting back on research for more powerful ones because its not cost effective. Some work has been done on phage therapy, which is really expensive and may be the new big thing.

Think about this, you're a big drug company and you want the highest profit. What's going to net you more money, an antibiotic which will kill something in 1-2 weeks, or a more expensive vaccine for something which people will get every year (for the rest of their lives hopefully).

WELLL PUT, i completely agree.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:37 PM

Car Info: LGT STI
Originally Posted by Gibz
on the news tonight they said that to watch your pets cus a cat caught the h1n1 from its owners when they got sick..
Yeah I just heard that, now Im all paranoid and trying to see if my cat seems sick!
Old 11-08-2009, 12:49 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: $200,000 sports car
so far i know other parents who have had their kids (4, 6, 10) catch H1N1. in all cases, they didn't get test results back till after the kids were over it. all were fine, and the parents say it's just like the regular flu.

hell, for all i know, my 2 year old may have had it this year...

IMHO it's just like the regular flu but with a cooler name.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:02 PM

Car Info: 2002 ej20 wrx
for my best friends 21st they had strippers over at the house. thank god i didnt go. soon after all 8 of them got swine flu. yeah dirty strippers. at least thats what they left with and not something else
Old 11-08-2009, 02:18 PM

Car Info: Teh Subie
Originally Posted by code3suby
Its a big fat sham, tons of people have the swine flu and don't even know it, and recover accordingly. I had it, not a big deal.

Older people do get the swine flu, it doesn't discriminate, its just has a higher chance of causing a deadly cytokine storm in healthier patients.
Ditto, I literally dont believe in H1N1, might as well be something you get from making out with the tooth fairy. You freak people out enough with propaganda and they'll get sick from stress alone.

HPV is a bigger threat to adults, but you never hear about that on every damn news channel.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:26 PM

Car Info: 07 350Z
I think I got it a while back, I got the shivers, upset stomach, no appetite, and running nose/itchy eyes/etc. It wasn't the worst though, I did lose 5-7lbs from it, it was with me for a little over 2 weeks.

Just take care of yourself, eat healthy, go to the gym daily, take a multivitamin daily, etc. and it will be much harder to get sick. Ever since I started taking my vitamins and working out daily from last year, I've never gotten sick except for this time, and now I'm back and good.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s