How many of you have had the Swine Flu?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
How many of you have had the Swine Flu?

As the title says, how many of you have been infected by the H1N1 flu?

How is it different then the normal flu? What made it different in the way you felt, etc?

I'm really friggin paranoid of getting this damn thing... I only go to the store in the middle of the night and avoid public places like the plague! I've been washing my hands so often that they are cracking and bleeding from being so dry... I also keep hand sanitizer with me at all times and try to avoid touching my face/neck with my hands.

Are there any better preventive measures that you can recommend for us that haven't had it yet?

Thanks and I'm glad you all pulled through! Kaiser has been denying me left and right, today they had it available for ages 2-18, and tomorrow it's for 12-24, and no info when they will have it for people older then 24. Dammit!
Old 11-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Jin

Car Info: 05 CGM STi to be converted to RS
i had swine flu. i didnt realize it until one of my roommate (everyone got sick) went to the doctor and found out it was h1n1.

i've had worse flu experiences, h1n1 wasnt the worst for me but i'm sure it varies from person to person.

from a scale 1-10, 10 being worst, i say mine was a 5.
my roommate however, i'd say he suffered a 9.5.

i had this the day i started feeling sick, maybe this is why i had it pretty easy
not your ordinary chicken noodle soup

whole young chicken stuffed with glutinous rice and boiled in a broth of Korean ginseng, dried seeded jujube fruits, garlic, and ginger

all that does the body good

Last edited by Jin; 11-03-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:53 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
highest risk are people between 6 months and 24 years. Thus, most immunizations are going to be aimed at this population, which is why it was only to 24. There's still a shortage on immunizations, so you're going to have to wait a while.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Jin

just go catch it like chickenpox and get it over with
Old 11-03-2009, 04:07 PM

Car Info: Nadda
Originally Posted by Jin
just go catch it like chickenpox and get it over with
Seriously, I've had the regular flu and never had it again since I was 8 or somethin.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:08 PM

Car Info: 2005 forester
I got my h1n1 shot already!!! and I hope my son dont get it before he gets his vacine... Ill be pissed!
Old 11-03-2009, 04:12 PM

Car Info: 2016 CWP WRX
prevention=

#0.5 - stay fit. People who stayin shape have better immune systems. so get ur **** in shape and your chances are reduced.

#1 - wash hands all day long everytime you have touched something you dont know where it has been. that includes elevator floor buttons, handrails, etc. I just got back from Disneyland, and washed my hands about 10-12 times a day. plan on getting some lotion for you will wash off all your natural oils quickly.

#2 - carry an anti-bacterial hand wash. i hate the concept (think mutation and "super bugs") but for now, being a retired medic, i am carrying one everywhere i go. i got sick from a few patients and am hyper sensi to others germs.

#3 - face mask up. people will think your weird, but it certainly helps.

Other than that, it is pretty hard to avoid. I plan to get immunized, but not until the frenzy goes away. i am still baffled by the paranoia. There have been much worse flu's, but the media seems to have got ahold of this one. That and the White House declaring a "nation of emergency" has made this bug the most popular flu strain evar.....

and if you DO get it, just do the right thing. take care of yourself. stay home away from others for a WEEK. yes a WEEK. i was reading my bro-in-laws doctor journals last week and the n1h1 is actuially shedding up to a week after you get it. so stay home and reduce the spread if you get it.....

thats all i can think of

josh
Old 11-03-2009, 04:16 PM
Jin

Originally Posted by josh
prevention=

#0.5 - stay fit. People who stayin shape have better immune systems. so get ur **** in shape and your chances are reduced.

#1 - wash hands all day long everytime you have touched something you dont know where it has been. that includes elevator floor buttons, handrails, etc. I just got back from Disneyland, and washed my hands about 10-12 times a day. plan on getting some lotion for you will wash off all your natural oils quickly.

#2 - carry an anti-bacterial hand wash. i hate the concept (think mutation and "super bugs") but for now, being a retired medic, i am carrying one everywhere i go. i got sick from a few patients and am hyper sensi to others germs.

#3 - face mask up. people will think your weird, but it certainly helps.

Other than that, it is pretty hard to avoid. I plan to get immunized, but not until the frenzy goes away. i am still baffled by the paranoia. There have been much worse flu's, but the media seems to have got ahold of this one. That and the White House declaring a "nation of emergency" has made this bug the most popular flu strain evar.....

and if you DO get it, just do the right thing. take care of yourself. stay home away from others for a WEEK. yes a WEEK. i was reading my bro-in-laws doctor journals last week and the n1h1 is actuially shedding up to a week after you get it. so stay home and reduce the spread if you get it.....

thats all i can think of

josh
all i can say is, i wish i invested in tamiflu
Old 11-03-2009, 04:21 PM

Car Info: 2016 CWP WRX
10-4 jin......

josh
Old 11-03-2009, 04:26 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by iLoqin
Seriously, I've had the regular flu and never had it again since I was 8 or somethin.
Eh? Just because you get the flu once doesn't mean you can't get it again... I've had the flu like 20 times in my life... GRRRR... I started getting my flu vaccines regularly and havent had it since!
Old 11-03-2009, 04:27 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
All because one guys in Mexico had to go and do a sheep....
Old 11-03-2009, 04:32 PM
Jin

i point my finger at egypt for slaughtering 300,000 tasty pigs in fear of h1n1.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:37 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX PSM
I think I had it, if I did, it wasn't that bad at all. Same old same old when it comes to the flu.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:45 PM

Car Info: 98 RS, 69 camaro, 02 wrx
Don't know if I had that or a regular flu.. I was able to get through work even though it was horrible and the next day... gone
Old 11-03-2009, 06:24 PM
aka FlukeWRX

Car Info: '03 WRX WRB Sedan
Originally Posted by brucelee
Eh? Just because you get the flu once doesn't mean you can't get it again... I've had the flu like 20 times in my life... GRRRR... I started getting my flu vaccines regularly and havent had it since!
Wrong.

Technically by getting the flu vaccine you ARE getting the flu. You are just taking in a weakened version of the flu strain so your body can start building up anti-bodies to fight off the flu.

I don't bother getting the flu vaccine as while it may help to prevent the disease at the beginning of the flu season, by the end of the flu season the disease has mutated to a new form and you are still susceptible to this new strain.

Honestly, you are a full grown adult. If you are in relatively good shape you are really not going to be at risk of this disease. The media has blown this disease WAYYY out of proportion. The people at the highest risk for this disease are the young (babies, infants, teenagers) as their immune system is not fully developed yet and the elderly where they have a weakened immune system. If you do not take care of yourself and are not in a relatively healthy state then yes you may be more likely to catch this disease, but it is not going to be the worst thing in the world and it probably won't be the worst disease you've ever had or will ever get.

As others have said ... If you are sick then STAY THE HELL HOME! Too many people like to go out in public, go to work, visit friends or whatever when they are sick. This is the type of behavior that causes OTHERS to get sick and then keeps diseases like this active and spreading. If people were to quarantine themselves away from others while they recover then this disease and many others would die out a lot sooner.

You are more likely to catch this disease by air then you are by touching something. That means avoid people that are coughing or sneezing. While it may be a good thing to wash your hands often and keep clean if you are sitting next to someone that is breathing all over you and is infected you are more likely to catch it that way rather than using a doorknob a short time after the person has left the room. At this point I do use a paper towel when I touch door handles, but I am personally not scared of this particular disease.

Also, what you might consider doing is every day AS SOON AS YOU GET HOME go take a shower. Do this before doing anything else in your house. Make sure your house stays clean. Cleaning off before doing anything else will help to remove any germs from spreading and contaminating you in an area where you spend a relatively large chunk of your time.

Quick Reply: How many of you have had the Swine Flu?