How Many Would Give Up UCSD For Davis?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 08:11 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
i spent my weekend in UCSD SunGod Festival...

i saw T.I. and Third Eye Blind sooooooooo much fun and i cant get over how nice that campus is

let me know if you like breakfast burritos...OMG they are at every dining hall...breakfast pizza too...
Old 05-21-2007, 08:28 PM

Car Info: 06 wrx wagon
the dining hall breakfast burritos are nothing compared to el cotixan or roberto's (15 mins from campus)... i miss their california burrito's and carne asada fries, respectively.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:02 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
awesome thanks for the tip. im sooo hungry now
Old 05-21-2007, 11:40 PM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
I forget how much money I am getting from financial aid, but I think it is a chunk.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:15 AM

Car Info: Sline
Originally Posted by mxspl807
both have a lot of good aspects, but I feel drawn to SD
No offense Davis ppl, but I think SD is a better fit for me
if i didnt get into SD, I would have definitley went to Davis over UC Santa Cruz for Econ
Santa Cruz > Davis... though maybe not in Business, but at least in fun.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:24 AM

Car Info: 2002MY Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by fd777
Exactly! If you're really into learning and your major is difficult (like .... EE for example), you could be in heaven and you'll still be in hell.

Davis is closer to the Bay (obviously), which can go either way. IMO, it's far enough to feel independent, but close enough to go back home.

I believe UCSD is ranked higher than Davis according to US News mag. It might not mean anything when it comes to application of knowledge, but it can for looking good on paper. I have no clue which school is actually "tougher", but having a 3.0 at a good school vs a 2.0 at a better school... I'll take the 3.0 (just a made-up example)
+1

I posted this before in another "which college thread", but what do you want to do? If you want to graduate school, UCD and UCSD differences WILL NOT MATTER. What will matter is you getting that GPA as close to 4.0 as possible. I personally know people who graduated from UCD and went to Stanford and UCSC people going to UCB for grad schools. I also know the opposite where UCB and Stanford people can't get into grad schools. Also, both UCD and UCSD are recognized by the job industry as great schools. As long as the school is first tier, jobs will not care unless it comes down to a top ten school like MIT or Harvard vs. UCD or UCSD. Even then, it depends on the job. Sometimes MIT or Stanford teach material at such a theoretical level that UC alums are preferred since they already have experience in application of the knowledge.

Now, barring from what I said above, you're going to just have to go to the campus and decide what you like. This includes the environment, atmosphere, and etc. However, $16k in scholarship money is really nothing to scoff at. That pays for a year's education (about $6k per quarter at the UCs). No offense to some of the other posters, but OP, ignore any posts that play on stereotypes. It kinda shows they don't have intimate knowledge of the school. What you put into the school is what you will get out of it. It's up to you to make the best of things.

My last piece of advice: the step from community college school to UC level competition is huge. I know several people who were CC transfers who got their butts kicked because they underestimated the competition. You can't have it all. There will be many times where it's either you party or you study. It's like women, chase two tails and you will most likely wind up with none.

Last edited by Impreza01; 05-22-2007 at 06:34 AM.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:04 PM

Car Info: Impreza
Originally Posted by Impreza01
It's like women, chase two tails and you will most likely wind up with none.
What do you mean by this?
Old 05-22-2007, 02:40 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
the one upside about davis is cause it's such a cow-town and there are only 2 decent bars in the entire damn town, there are so many parties on thurs-sat night. that, plus the fact that you can walk/bike everywhere means plenty of good times.

a usual friday night meant starting at a party or bbq, biking down to grab a beer or two at the pizza place/bar, walking over one of the many parties in the downtown area, and finally finishing the night at another party on the opposite side of town...which happens to be like 5 minutes away on bike.

and i dont' know if it's like it nowadays, but 8-10 years ago when i was there, crashing parties was the norm...you really didn't have to know the people, but if you were chill and not a dick, just stroll on it, grab a beer and chat up the under-21 girls.

davis has a big time rep as a boring cow town, but if you really got to know it, you'd know that the entire town, like most small sleepy college towns, is one big party on the weekends.

in any event, i never had any lack of bbq's, beer, and boobies in davis...and let's just say i'm not the most photogenic person around

btw, i also spent a year at ucsd after undergrad. if i had to do it again, I'd choose.........santa barbara. it's the perfect mix of the davis college lifestyle and ucsd beach lifestyle.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:03 PM

Car Info: 2002MY Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by mxspl807
What do you mean by this?
You're either going to be a nerd (defining it as 80% or more of your non-living essential time going towards studying) or a party goer. If you try to split your time 50/50, you're going to do a mediocre job in either academics or social party life (this doesn't hold if you're some genius who picks up things just from listening to lectures).