how is bi-annual smog inspection conducted?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 03:36 AM

Car Info: WREX
Originally Posted by MARKSTI
I have done emissions testing (two speed idle since its a AWD)...and have seen the tailpipe readings to be well within the max. allowable limits...for HC and CO.

So in a word, currently No
seems like you recently had a smog test done with the suby - Many of us have not had the experience to visit a smog center with our subies yet. Would you care to share with us on how the whole process is carried out?

What do they look for? Same stuff as on a 2wd car? Does it seem like the technicians are familiar with subies and know what to look for (items that should and should not be there)?

Thanks.......
Old 12-17-2005, 08:50 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
I'm pretty sure, it's the exact same process before smog 2 came out. If you've ever had to smog your car before the implementation of smog2 you'd basically know how it goes.

IIRC, it's inspecting the engine bay (visual test), then the put it in the sniffer at idle and at 3k? I've never actually had a car smogged, just watched my brother's done once.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by unstble
seems like you recently had a smog test done with the suby - Many of us have not had the experience to visit a smog center with our subies yet. Would you care to share with us on how the whole process is carried out?

What do they look for? Same stuff as on a 2wd car? Does it seem like the technicians are familiar with subies and know what to look for (items that should and should not be there)?

Thanks.......
Yeah i recently had a smog test done

There are three parts of a smog test:

Visual: Prefrom underhood inspection and try to verify that the cats are in place along with the evap system and 02 sensors(or sensors)...this includes looking for mods...checking vacuum lines...fuel leaks...tampering etc.

Funciontal: Check MIL for operation...if the car gets a TSI test, then you check the EGR system for operation if equipped,,,if car has adjustable ignition timing..check timing according to manufactors procedurces.

Tailpipeemissions)..most cars run a loaded 15mph/50%load and 25mph/25load test..cars are held in 2 second gear if equipped with a manual or drive with overdrive turned off if equipped with a automatic for the most part...It looks @/measures HC/CO/NOX.

Subbys along with some others cars that have AWD of full time 4wd.. go back to the old idle and 2500rpm test (TSI testing)...which only looks @ HC and CO.

These are the basics.

Last edited by MARKSTI; 12-17-2005 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:54 PM

Is it true that for subie (STi) that has the reflashed (by Vishnu) ECM, it will still pass the smog test since the smog test at idle at 2500rpm? The reflash only affects from 3k rpm on up?
Old 12-17-2005, 01:13 PM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
Originally Posted by hkwan
Is it true that for subie (STi) that has the reflashed (by Vishnu) ECM, it will still pass the smog test since the smog test at idle at 2500rpm? The reflash only affects from 3k rpm on up?
Erm, reflashes affect the whole range. Now, if your tuner chose not to touch anything under 2500, you should be fine, assuming you haven't messed with any cats, etc).
Old 12-17-2005, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by mcowger
Erm, reflashes affect the whole range. Now, if your tuner chose not to touch anything under 2500, you should be fine, assuming you haven't messed with any cats, etc).
Thank you for your input. I have the TBE with a performance in place. So for visual inpection, the car has a cat. Would you think one cat in place would allow for the car to pass the smog's snif test?
Old 12-17-2005, 02:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
Thank you for your input. I have the TBE with a performance in place. So for visual inpection, the car has a cat. Would you think one cat in place would allow for the car to pass the smog's snif test?

Cats can not be modified on newer cars int he state of CA, so there is a great potential for you to fail visual with your cat based solely on the fact that it is obviously aftermarket. Since TBE's are so easy to swap, I would highly reccomend that you put the stock TBE back on. Better safe than sorry. If you have a catless UP, you will pass the sniffer (with a stock TBE on) but may or may not fail the visual; it all depends on how well the tech knows what he is looking for. If you have an STi, obviously you're in the clear with the UP.

-Chris
Old 12-17-2005, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by bassplayrr
If you have an STi, obviously you're in the clear with the UP.

-Chris
Chris. thank you again for the info. Would you mind explaining more in detail on the UP?
Old 12-17-2005, 03:04 PM
VIP Member

Chris. thank you again for the info. Would you mind explaining more in detail on the UP?

Yeah, sorry UP = Up Pipe. If you have swapped to a catless UP on your WRX then you will pass the sniffer portion of the test (assuming you have allowed the car to warm up a bit. The cat in the UP is really only there for 'cold start-up' emmisions). Once the car is warm, the second and third cats in the TBE will be warm enough to allow the car to pass the sniffer. However, if the tech know what he is looking for, and knows where to look, an aftermaket and catless UP will fail visual. The UP is pretty well hidden on the lower passenger side of the engine so most tecks wont even look for it, but there is always that possibility. If you are really concerned about running a catless UP while passing visual, running a catless UP from an STi with th stock SUBARU heat shield is always a good option. Sti's come with catless UP's, so they have nothing to worry about.

-Chris
Old 12-17-2005, 10:33 PM

Most UPs allow use of the stock heat shield, which makes it pretty hard to notice an aftermarket UP. Especially since basically the entire pipe is wrapped with metal with SUBARU stamped on it.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
Originally Posted by unstble

Thanks.......

i got smoged when i moved to CA from IL. all they did was hook the probes to the pipes. clickly ckicked their computer and reved it up a few times. AWD makes it dyno exempt.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:07 PM

Car Info: 04STiGT35rC16
i have a 2004 sti.

when would my first smog inspection be.

i live in san francisco.

michael.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:26 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by my sti 1
i have a 2004 sti.

i live in san francisco.

michael.

Not for four years from date of original registration I believe. It may be five years, I can't remember; they just changed the rule.

-Chris
Old 12-18-2005, 07:25 PM

IIRC, Arnold changed it to 6 years. Though, I forgot which date it had to be produced by.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
Talking

Originally Posted by my sti 1
i have a 2004 sti.

i live in san francisco.

michael.

it changes form county to county. example: If at some point for some reason you move a bit northeast to Yolo County you have 8 years...

Quick Reply: how is bi-annual smog inspection conducted?