How About Hood Struts ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 08:49 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by DSMwPSI
Pain in the @ss to close a carbon fiber hood though, they work a little too good. I have to lean over the fender from the side of the car and push down on the middle of the hood, if I try to close it normally the hood starts to bend.
It's one of the drawbacks of going to aftermarket carbon fiber or other composite body parts, unfortunately. They can flex. Does the underside of your CF hood reproduce the factory type structural bracing of the stock hood? It doesn't help that most replacement struts are gas charged, or even overcharged.

Keep an eye on your CF hood for signs of bowing upward. This happened to a fiberglass reproduction hood on my old Camaro when used with the factory hardware.

I replaced the strut openers on my Omni GLHS's hatchback for less than $30 from either Pep Boys or Kragen, but the darned things were pressurized a lot more than even new factory struts. I had to reach up with both hands to pull the hatch down. It took almost nine months before I could close the thing with one hand.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 12-14-2003, 07:39 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
Thanks for the info....

Hey, thank you all for the info. It would seem that what we need is for somebody who has them to let somebody else measure them for body and shaft length. Then we can go to Pep Boys and get some OEM replacements for much less money. I have a friend with a machine shop that will help us make mounts if needed. Perheps Alex would be so kind.

Later Scott