Be Honest: How many of you still on the tit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 05:37 PM

Car Info: '02 EJ25FXT Stage 2 "No Laggin' Wagon"
My cousin is 52 and pulls down over $150K a year and still lives in the room he grew up in.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:12 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
25 pay rent to my mom to help her build money for retirement

After 2-3 more years she'll have enough of a nest egg that I can move away. Oh and yeah I'm saving a little too for a home.

Bleh it's not like I'm home enough to enjoy my own place...I basically just sleep there and eat once in a great while
Old 03-04-2005, 07:17 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Subaru WRX w/ JDM Spec C
Originally Posted by wrexxy

okay, i'm 26. at 22 i bought my first house, lived in it. now i own another home and rent it out (too far away for a daily commute, but a great investment). i do however "rent" from my parents in the bay aread since it's closer to work. other than that i pay for everything.

wow at 22, tell me your secret
Old 03-05-2005, 12:25 AM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
Originally Posted by HellaDumb
Cool.... lots of serious answers. While I used to think that people had an advantage when spoiled wrotten by their parents, I've noticed that people who had strict or "monetarily tight" parents (wealthy or not) did a lot better, at least within my friend pool. I don't think overmothering helps either... learned that one first hand =).

In truth, it's all dependent. Some people benefit from being spoiled. Some people need a good asswhooping to set their lives straight. Everyone is different.

I knew a guy from India whose family was like, the richest ***** in India - he interviewed the Dalai lama for his college essay - but he had no motivation whatsoever and was so damn depressed even being spoiled.

That being said, it ALWAYS fascinates me that a lot of famous engineers and scientists/mathematicians (Oliver Heaviside comes to mind - he solved transmission line problems for the first transatlantic telegraph cable) were self taught; thy had elementary school education, yet somehow picked up super advanced math that I wouldn't even learn if I got a pHD and then some.

So yeah, on the grand spectrum of things I would definately say that I was in the middle, but definately the spoiled side of the middle, and the majority of you are too. I truly respect that some people have made it big on their own. However if you are a privilidged person you are being rude to your parents who raised you, fed and clothed you if you do try to deny being "spoiled"

Last edited by verc; 03-05-2005 at 12:50 AM.
Old 03-06-2005, 03:04 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: the blue bucket
Moved out of home when I was 16, worked all over the place and occasionally stayed at my Grand Mothers when back in the UK.

Now am married with step kids and our own home and with more debt than a third world country that I attribute to living "the American dream"

Mike
Old 03-06-2005, 04:27 PM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
I got my first job at 15, moved out of parents home at 17 - Working around the world since - but it looks like all the good jobs are gone so I just stay here now talking about the good 'ol days.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: some silver thing
Originally Posted by nic3krnnamja83
wow at 22, tell me your secret
savings, and with A LOT of sacrifice. i got owned with my first mortgage being that I didn't have so much to put down (PMI's a *****). mind you this was definitely a "starter home." luckily, after a couple of years the home that i bought with my ex boyfriend had gained enough equity to split with him and buy a brand new house in another area. i have to say all of this was made possible by the constant pushing of my parents (so in that way i'm not completely off the "tit").

-wrexxy (on porkchop's login)
Old 03-06-2005, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by porkchop
...after a couple of years the home that i bought with my ex boyfriend...

Porkchop's Exboyfriend?

I didn't know.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: some silver thing
Originally Posted by AntiochCali
Porkchop's Exboyfriend?

I didn't know.
yea, tommy's in the closet still

Old 03-06-2005, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by porkchop
yea, tommy's in the closet still

Ooooh - Okay, now I understand <wink wink>.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:58 PM

Car Info: 14 Mazda3 sGT, SOLD 12/26: 00 2.5RS Sedan
Dependent, broke college student right now at the age of 23, no shame in that. I've been attending school the whole time nonstop since age 5. Now that I'm nearing graduation soon in art school, I needed to get my feet wet in the design industry or something with the recording industry (my current true passion in life hopefully doing producing someday and learning soon). So since I do have the option for my parents to help me out from time to time while I get the job situation taken care of since I haven't worked part-time since early last year. Especially if I end up taking an unpaid internship, it'll be an even longer period before I actually make anything. =/

Looking at the cost of living in general, I decided to hold off on it for a while since it isn't that easy for me to just pack my sh*t and leave. I figured when I start pulling in the big dough in the future when I get settled in either industry or career I'll eventually get into, I'll take care of my folks, and allow them to retire. Then I'll move out. So, parents first before me when I am at a good financial position. In the meantime, it's a trade off living with my folks. I just obey their rules like I normally do under this roof and they help me out so someday I can return the favor. Chinese parents thing. They aren't that lenient in the first place.

Last edited by Hollandaze; 03-06-2005 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:57 PM

shoot ill fess up! im still mooching off my parents....but i have to buy my own food, clothes, pay my own bills, pay rent....on second thought....my parents haven't given me crap!!!

chris
Old 03-06-2005, 07:04 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: $200,000 sports car
i mooched off my parents while i was in college and for close to a year after while saving to buy a house. at age 27 my wife and i own our own house, had 2 cars (wrx and rustang) that were paid off, and both have good jobs...

a year later those 2 cars are now gone and we're making huge *** car payments (g35 and 4 runner)
Old 03-06-2005, 11:16 PM

Car Info: SL65, 911 Turbo, CLK63
Independent since I finished my undergrad degree in '90; bought my father a Ferrari for his 60th birthday in '00 (aah, the bubble years!) and a WRX in '03. He chose medicine, I chose high tech... go figure
Old 03-07-2005, 03:36 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
I have been free of any support other than my own since age 17, and supported a few other people here and there when necessary. When I was a kid, I bought my own school clothes and everything else save the necessities. My belongings are small and insignificant in the skewed nature of this area, but they make me happy through and through. I see people getting pissy about the kiddies with free STi's and such but ya know, cheers to your good fortune. Doing it yourself is hard. There will always be someone out there with a bigger sponsorship and more expensive toys to brag about so enjoy your own. If I were handed a new STi, I would drive it with a smile. Make mine a crystal grey '05.

Cheers,

Jacob

Quick Reply: Be Honest: How many of you still on the tit?