Home Audio Guru's: Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 09:54 PM

Car Info: 2001 Honda CBR 600 F4i
Home Audio Guru's: Need help!

Alright guys i need your help...

So today i bought a Samsung HT-z310 home audio system. I already have an Onkyo HTR550 receiver that my buddy gave me so i'd rather use that receiver only because it has a lot more plugin's to be able to connect my 360, PS3, and DVR to.

Now... with the HT-z310, it came with two front speakers, two rear speakers, center channel, and a subwoofer.

All the regular speakers are working but here's the tough part that I can't figure out... On the back of the subwoofer, there's only one (-) input and one (+) input. This sub doesn't look like it is powered, so i'm guessing this is considered a "passive" subwoofer from the info i got online.

If you need to know exactly what the back of the onkyo looks like, the link is shown below.

http://www.onkyousa.com/images/produ...R550B_rear.jpg

Any idea of how I can hook this up? Again, the sub is not a powered subwoofer so there is no built in amp. Am i able to connect this with just using speaker wire to power it up? It's not that beefy of a sub.

Any help would be much appreciated!!
Old 08-22-2010, 10:29 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
so you have the speakers from the samsung plugged into the onkyo? if the sub is passive and you don't have powered output, one option you can try is to bridge it with the center channel or one of the front channels. then set the receiver to have that speaker be "large" if it's an option under set up.

or plug the sub into one of the front speaker "b" ports and just turn both A and B on

another option, since you have two receivers, plug the sub out form the onkyo into the samsung and use the samsung as the subs amp.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:43 AM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

here's the issue.

the thing you bought? pack it right back up and return. it is the receiver you have plus speakers.

so there is no way to make both work. well you can ditch the main box of the samsung and just use the speakers...

cause the receiver has better power rating and...

actually, you cant use the subwoofer with the receiver. since that requires power that the receiver doesnt have...

so, my recommendation is to return the samsung setup.

buy a nice set of speakers to begin with. start with 2 stereo up front and a single center channel.

also buy a powered sub. make your own if you want. PARTS EXPRESS has everything you need to make a powered sub.

then when you can afford it, buy the rear and surround rear speakers.

but the trick is to match the fronts as close as possible.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:20 AM

Car Info: 2001 Honda CBR 600 F4i
I bought the system off an i-club member so i can't really return it. It's not his bad, i just didn't do enough research. The Samsung receiver, i was planning on giving to my parents since they don't need anything fancy and hooking them up with my old speakers, but as for the Onkyo receiver with the samsung speakers, i think i should be ok with that, i just need to buy a new sub. The speakers are perfect since its for my bedroom so i don't need anything big. A small sub would do so i'll definately look into a powered sub.

Any idea on where i can get some good prices for a powered sub for a bedroom? I want an all around good sub but nothing massive as its for my bedroom.

Sucks that it doesn't work but it's all good, atleast my parents can still use the sub with the samsung receiver since it's designed to work with that.

Thanks for the prompt reply though! That was very helpful.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:22 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 99 legacy gt
dealeted

Last edited by tecnica tech; 08-23-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:22 PM

Car Info: 2001 BMW M5
Originally Posted by ldivinag
here's the issue.

the thing you bought? pack it right back up and return. it is the receiver you have plus speakers.

so there is no way to make both work. well you can ditch the main box of the samsung and just use the speakers...

cause the receiver has better power rating and...

actually, you cant use the subwoofer with the receiver. since that requires power that the receiver doesnt have...

so, my recommendation is to return the samsung setup.

buy a nice set of speakers to begin with. start with 2 stereo up front and a single center channel.

also buy a powered sub. make your own if you want. PARTS EXPRESS has everything you need to make a powered sub.

then when you can afford it, buy the rear and surround rear speakers.

but the trick is to match the fronts as close as possible.

THIS!

Everyone has their own favorite brand, it's like gas or oil. Mine is Definitive Technologies. Get like a ProCinema100 and you'd be set speakerwise, and a decent receiver completes the experience.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:03 AM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

i lucked out on my setup.

back in the pro logic days (note, not PL II), i bought a set of boston acoustic bookshelf front speakers. i then bought a KLH powered sub (i know... i know...).

then 2 years or so later when i finally got a receiver with a center channel, i again lucked out when i found the GOOD GUYS were have a sale and i found a single center channel from BA that was made to match the front speakers i had. i mean driver for driver, it was identical.

then like a few years later, i found this online deal that packaged an infinity powered sub and 2 atlantic technologies surround speakers. i mean i lucked out since it rounded out my HT setup...

now waiting for my current sony ES receiver to take a dump so i can buy the next gen one with rear surround, plus surrounds to finish out that 7.1...
Old 08-24-2010, 09:26 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Yeah, I wouldn't use that samsung system with that AVR. Just give that system to your parents, and get some speakers.

I own Sony uber cheap cheap speakers. They aren't awesome, but for the money they are decent.

SS-F7000 towers
SS-CN5000 center
SS-B1000 bookshelves (surrounds)
SA-W3000 Subwoofer

It's big stuff on the cheap. It works fine for movies, but sounds average for music.

If you have more to spend than like the $500 that the above setup costs, I like the BIC America stuff, or the ready made monitors from parts express are also budget oriented.

Just, not sure what your budget is.