Hire me (comp. sci. major) and sell me your WRX

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 09:05 PM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
Originally Posted by awns729
I've always had an interest in comp sci. I took a year of it and I was friggin good at it too. But, I'd like a job with decent pay too so I dont know if thats what I would want to do.
whatever "computer science" course is offered to freshman in high school is far far away from what a computer science guy actually is
Old 07-26-2004, 01:02 PM

Car Info: 98RS - Pretty Blue
Originally Posted by nKoan
*sigh* don't I know it. Too bad if you didn't go to Stanford, Berkeley or UCLA, its hard to get a real computer science job nowadays right out of college. It used to be that code monkeying was a good way to enter real computer science jobs; get a few years real world coding experience under your belt and you're good to go up to design and whatnot. But now since code monkey jobs are getting shipped overseas, there is no real good place to get your foot in the door and you're left fighting with professional code monkeys for their positions.
Yeah, this is pretty much the truth. Which was the point of my original post. The line starts over there for people needing CSc related jobs.

j
Old 07-26-2004, 02:36 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
have you ever considered going to grad school? Sorry for suggesting this if money is tight, or you've got a family to support right now. But it doesn't need to be a top university at all. I'm hearing from a lot of people that in CS, a more narrow concetration master's degree makes such a big difference in your marketability. San Jose State University isn't called the "Gateway to Silicon Valley" for no reason. It's got some very excellent even undergraduate courses taught by professionals fresh from the cutting edge, and I hear admissions is not that difficult.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:46 AM

Car Info: 98RS - Pretty Blue
Originally Posted by verc
have you ever considered going to grad school? Sorry for suggesting this if money is tight, or you've got a family to support right now. But it doesn't need to be a top university at all. I'm hearing from a lot of people that in CS, a more narrow concetration master's degree makes such a big difference in your marketability. San Jose State University isn't called the "Gateway to Silicon Valley" for no reason. It's got some very excellent even undergraduate courses taught by professionals fresh from the cutting edge, and I hear admissions is not that difficult.
Shhh... don't let the cat out of the bag