HID kits are not that expensive after all

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 01:32 AM

Car Info: 2001 RS
I can vouch for This Kit being a good buy I have a set myself 4300k on my 01 RS and they work Awesome, Of course its nice to have projectors but these are great for the $$$ plus replacement HID bulbs are just as much as replacing regular bulbs, Anyone in the SF/Peninsula thats curious about the product we can meet at night and I can show you mine. The only thing is I got the H4 setup with High Beam being disabled but I dont think you would need high beam considering the HIDs are bright as is....

Just my .2 Cents
Old 04-06-2006, 07:42 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by EJ25RS
I can vouch for This Kit being a good buy I have a set myself 4300k on my 01 RS and they work Awesome, Of course its nice to have projectors but these are great for the $$$ plus replacement HID bulbs are just as much as replacing regular bulbs, Anyone in the SF/Peninsula thats curious about the product we can meet at night and I can show you mine. The only thing is I got the H4 setup with High Beam being disabled but I dont think you would need high beam considering the HIDs are bright as is....

Just my .2 Cents

Are you saying you're using them in a halogen reflector still?
Old 04-06-2006, 08:46 AM

Car Info: 2001 RS
Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
Are you saying you're using them in a halogen reflector still?
Yep
Old 04-06-2006, 09:05 AM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
Originally Posted by EJ25RS

Just my .2 Cents
I see what your saying, but these kits cost $300. For the same price you can get an entire OEM HID Projector setup. Why bother with korean/chinese made stuff with less lighting, when you can get hella/bosche/phillips stuff for the same price?
Old 04-06-2006, 09:22 AM

Car Info: 02 aspen white WRX
Originally Posted by ucbsti
I see what your saying, but these kits cost $300. For the same price you can get an entire OEM HID Projector setup. Why bother with korean/chinese made stuff with less lighting, when you can get hella/bosche/phillips stuff for the same price?
I think it's because not everyone knows how to do a retro-fit.
and if he needs to have someone else to do it, it costs more than just 300,
labor alone is like 300.
So it comes out to be 300+300= 600...

unless someone on this forum can offer free retro-fit,
then everyone would go with OEM HID.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: I got a couple :)
All nice info and I thank you all.

Tomorrow the kit will arrive and I will really see what this kit will yeild and as far as retro fitting? I just want to make it simple and as far wires burning? the kit uses 35 watts and the halogens at 55watts with the kit yeilding brighter than the halogens and uses less. I doubt if the wires are in danger of burning unless I use another kit with more fab work and connections are poor. I may not know this area but you guys do more research on the web so I may benefit again with the experiences.

I will monitor the whole install and see what the deal is.

Nexttime I will just get the HID set up with the dam vehicle.lol. I am just bored and need to tinker is all.

again Thank you all for the input. more to follow

gino
Old 04-06-2006, 10:26 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
I've never been a fan of HID's into a halogen housing. They glare like crazy and blind oncoming traffic. Retrofits are best, IMO because you use the HID projectors to cutoff the light correctly.

If you are looking for improved lighting, go with the Osram Silverstars (not Sylvania Silverstars). If you have a bugeye, Osram's are not available so go with the GE Nighthawks.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:41 PM

Car Info: 02 aspen white WRX
Originally Posted by gbmotorsports
All nice info and I thank you all.

Tomorrow the kit will arrive and I will really see what this kit will yeild and as far as retro fitting? I just want to make it simple and as far wires burning? the kit uses 35 watts and the halogens at 55watts with the kit yeilding brighter than the halogens and uses less. I doubt if the wires are in danger of burning unless I use another kit with more fab work and connections are poor. I may not know this area but you guys do more research on the web so I may benefit again with the experiences.

I will monitor the whole install and see what the deal is.

Nexttime I will just get the HID set up with the dam vehicle.lol. I am just bored and need to tinker is all.

again Thank you all for the input. more to follow

gino
hey gino,
about the wiring burning,
i have read somewhere that whenever the HID starts up,
it draws a high current,
but will drop back down after the initial ignition.
so, if you wanna be safe,
get a harness that connect to the battery.
i had burned my wiring in my integra before.
so just be careful.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Cashis
I've never been a fan of HID's into a halogen housing. They glare like crazy and blind oncoming traffic. Retrofits are best, IMO because you use the HID projectors to cutoff the light correctly.

If you are looking for improved lighting, go with the Osram Silverstars (not Sylvania Silverstars). If you have a bugeye, Osram's are not available so go with the GE Nighthawks.
Not all of the halogen casings do that. It is mostly the idiots who adjust the lamps and victimize us .

Old 04-06-2006, 10:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mhl23
hey gino,
about the wiring burning,
i have read somewhere that whenever the HID starts up,
it draws a high current,
but will drop back down after the initial ignition.
so, if you wanna be safe,
get a harness that connect to the battery.
i had burned my wiring in my integra before.
so just be careful.
I found this and they do talk about the wiring harness. I can make one or pay $15 more from the folks I got the kit from. The cause on the blinding light is the bulb not sitting correctly on the base.
click here http://www.xenondepot.com/product.php?product_id=14

But I will do that definitely and go to the battery directly if need, I will hook up a meter and check the draw. Like I do on my horn replacements I get nore juice and sound if i relay it to the alternator hehehehe.

I will check out the kit and will post my findings. If it is not positive then I will give the kit to my nephew.

Last edited by gbmotorsports; 04-06-2006 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:29 PM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
I agree, not all halogen kits are bad, some are actually pretty good. The burning of the harness comes from current, not watts as mentioned before. During start up the ballats can pull 10-15amps easily.

Food for though. My OEM STi hids (2 lights)

A SINGLE HID projector from a land rover (4300k bulb)

Old 04-09-2006, 10:10 PM
Former Sponsor

WOW,big difference with me as well and awesome set up you got there and nice pics.

I installed the kit (WideView brand) and yes they are great. It arrived in excactly 2 days as promised.

Been test driving the lights for two nights of and on and it is well worth it. I am not sure about the non projector housing like it was mentioned but definitely aim it a tad lower than OEM.

My set up had the fish eye housing and it worked great with the beam lines cut out etc.. I will now get an H7 kit and do the other car as well and then do all the fog lamps too.

my 2 cents

gino
Old 04-09-2006, 11:14 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by gbmotorsports
WOW,big difference with me as well and awesome set up you got there and nice pics.

I installed the kit (WideView brand) and yes they are great. It arrived in excactly 2 days as promised.

Been test driving the lights for two nights of and on and it is well worth it. I am not sure about the non projector housing like it was mentioned but definitely aim it a tad lower than OEM.

My set up had the fish eye housing and it worked great with the beam lines cut out etc.. I will now get an H7 kit and do the other car as well and then do all the fog lamps too.

my 2 cents

gino
Just a friendly warning, don't start your car with the lights on, and if it doesn't have a relay assembly, I'd highly recommend one.

Glad to hear it's working out for you. hopefully this isn't one of those kits that works great and in a month it craps out.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:31 AM
Former Sponsor

It's all good with the wiring.

I ran it all day yesterday (during the day) with no relay and on turn on, the amps only pull 2.6 as it glows, no heat from any of the wires while running either and thats with no relay etc.

But to get more jusice, I wired it with a relay and used the OEM headlamp wiring for on off switching only . There is a $15 relay kit available and everything is plug n pla if they get that.

Last edited by gbmotorsports; 04-10-2006 at 08:34 AM.