Hey is this wrecked STI anyone on here???

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: Evo X, 04 STI, 335i, Fit
Originally Posted by Krinkov
ya why would someone take off the BOV?
Could have a SARD R2D2
Old 04-05-2010, 01:50 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
ya why would someone take off the BOV?
Pressure test your TMIC on every shift!!

Man.. J - if you pick this up it will seem far less cool that all I still need to pick up is an up pipe, down pipe and some misc brackets and of course 148,352 things I have not yet thought of.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Pressure test your TMIC on every shift!!

Man.. J - if you pick this up it will seem far less cool that all I still need to pick up is an up pipe, down pipe and some misc brackets and of course 148,352 things I have not yet thought of.
yeah Im about this -[ ]- close to grabbing it, just need to figure out the $$$, I figure I can sell off the wheels, interior, suspension and other bits and only be out about 4K for the swap and brakes. then I can just do a full wiring harness swap and not have to worry about splicing everything, kinda want my STI dash/cluster back
Old 04-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: WRX, EVO, MSP3
Wow those are my old Morettes! I know that car as we converted the front end on it ages ago!.

Mike
Old 04-05-2010, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
Wow those are my old Morettes! I know that car as we converted the front end on it ages ago!.

Mike
hey well you'll see it again mike! Im buying it and towing it down there to park next to the EVO shell for a couple months while I strip it out!!

J/K
Old 04-05-2010, 03:06 PM

Car Info: VF48'd WRB Bugeye
Originally Posted by GST Motorsports

Mike
Did you remove the high-beams, and if so why?
Old 04-05-2010, 03:24 PM
VIP Member

yeah Im about this -[ ]- close to grabbing it, just need to figure out the $$$, I figure I can sell off the wheels, interior, suspension and other bits and only be out about 4K for the swap and brakes. then I can just do a full wiring harness swap and not have to worry about splicing everything, kinda want my STI dash/cluster back
DAAAYM $6700? I couldn't find one for less than $8500 so that is pretty awesome. Most were looking to be over 10k. Well that rocks and you would be into an STi swap for less than I have spent for my '03 WRX-based swap so far and I still have a couple things to grab. Only bonus is I don't have to worry about smashed timing covers or getting rid of a shell but you will come out ahead no doubt! My car will still have the "lightness" thing going for it though I am anxious to see just what that number will read when it's on the road.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:14 PM

DAAAYM $6700? I couldn't find one for less than $8500 so that is pretty awesome. Most were looking to be over 10k. Well that rocks and you would be into an STi swap for less than I have spent for my '03 WRX-based swap so far and I still have a couple things to grab. Only bonus is I don't have to worry about smashed timing covers or getting rid of a shell but you will come out ahead no doubt! My car will still have the "lightness" thing going for it though I am anxious to see just what that number will read when it's on the road.
well hey there is rolled 05 on CL right now for 7K! Looks like it had less wear on it for sure.

I'd rather grab the 04 because I want the steering rack and it will also be easier to sell the wheels/suspension, otherwise thats a good deal there too
Old 04-05-2010, 04:39 PM
VIP Member

well hey there is rolled 05 on CL right now for 7K! Looks like it had less wear on it for sure.

I'd rather grab the 04 because I want the steering rack and it will also be easier to sell the wheels/suspension, otherwise thats a good deal there too
Well yeah but it's waaaaaaaay too late for me to be thinking about picking up a car at this point, and the issue of stripping down/getting rid of the hulk is a huge one for me (and probably most people). I looked for a few months and then basically had to make a decision. In the window of time I had available, I found one '05 STi (well, Jer found it..) for $8,500 and that was the cheapest one I found. I wanted an '04 STi because of all the obvious reasons. Then I decided I did not want the STi swap because I do not want/need BIG POWAH and I want my car to be a light as possible.

The '04 steering rack is great, but the '04 is key for other reasons that may or may not be useful for you. Mostly things related to 5x100, but still. Your suspension is basically sorted (unless you plan on changing stuff) so you can hopefully recoup costs there too, unless you are planning on swapping in the STi suspension pieces for the wider track at which point you are required to sell me your front control arms.

Anyway I am re-stoked about the car and the project, so it will be pretty awesome to see how they all come along. Not sure what you have planned, but I think you, me and Jeff are all doing 3 different things. Mine's going to be a 2.0L w/ a "tuned for safety" VF39/STi TMIC/Pinks setup in a light coupe with a "theft resistant" paint job and setup for fun on the street and competence on a track. Gonna try and get the car swapped, running, and then see where it goes from there. Sounds like you are going for the bad-*** holy grail of the STi swapped coupe.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:05 PM

ya I'll be keeping my track normal so sry thought you already got AL arms?

But yeah Im not going crazy for now, I'll just be running the VF39 with turbo-back and headers. should be plenty.

BTW, how much heavier is a STI longblock over the 2.0 longblock? thought they were prety much the same and the diff was bore/stroke?

Well anyhow, a 98RS curb weights at 2850, I already dropped about 50 out of it (AL hood, lighter civic batt, didnt even come with a spare or jack/tools) so even if I add another 100lbs Im still at about 2900lbs, thats still 400lbs lighter than my STI was, even 300whp would be stupid quick in that
Old 04-05-2010, 05:23 PM

Car Info: with the blinkers on
you keeping A/C and power steering?
Old 04-05-2010, 05:34 PM
VIP Member

ya I'll be keeping my track normal so sry thought you already got AL arms?

But yeah Im not going crazy for now, I'll just be running the VF39 with turbo-back and headers. should be plenty.

BTW, how much heavier is a STI longblock over the 2.0 longblock? thought they were prety much the same and the diff was bore/stroke?

Well anyhow, a 98RS curb weights at 2850, I already dropped about 50 out of it (AL hood, lighter civic batt, didnt even come with a spare or jack/tools) so even if I add another 100lbs Im still at about 2900lbs, thats still 400lbs lighter than my STI was, even 300whp would be stupid quick in that
Dagnabbit. Haha.. Nah, I have seen a couple sets come up but the money had better leverage elsewhere.. Prolly would have got them this weekend if a VF39 didn't come find me. I keep wanting to get you to clearbra my Camaro but things to buy keep popping up.

Not talking the engine, they should be fairly close. The trannies are very different. I don't know exact weights but - WRX tranny, bring a friend. STi tranny - bring two friends. Heh. I know the STi trans is a better box and of course I would rather have one but I am pretty easy on my trannies (YAHTZEE!!) and got my '03 to run 35k miles w/ frequent track days with no issues and it's a much heavier car.

I'm curious to see what my '95 coupe weighs and will weigh. I need a hood too, would LOVE to find a whole V1-4 front end but, keep missing them. At this point I need something with a hood scoop.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:36 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by fizay
you keeping A/C and power steering?
Me? Gonna weigh everything and see. P/S is just a pump and helps with large tires, but I have removed it from other cars w/ track purposes. 10 years ago no way would there be A/C in my car but it's today, today.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:11 PM

Car Info: Fast

I'm curious to see what my '95 coupe weighs and will weigh. I need a hood too, would LOVE to find a whole V1-4 front end but, keep missing them. At this point I need something with a hood scoop.
I have seen some decent aluminum hoods on Ebay...one in particular that would run about $300 shipped from Texas if you are interested in a link. I would have bought it already (it is even red like my car is, for now!!) but it is the version 1-4 hood.

Hey Guys, if there is not one already, we should start a GC swap thread for the Norcal guys
Old 04-05-2010, 10:22 PM

whats the status krinkov. The diffs are better in 05 right? I think either way you should get back into a subaru, heh. Build journal, get one of those swaps.

Quick Reply: Hey is this wrecked STI anyone on here???