Hey Snowboarding experts, and Lowball

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 10:12 AM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
first of all, don't buy boots without trying them on. there's a good chance they will make your life miserable. of the boards you listed, i would stay away from the "newbreed" definitely, and the 5150 as well. go for the K2, they make good stuff. i would also say that you'll want to stick in the 155 range, any shorter and you'll outgrow the board in a couple trips.

i've been riding for almost ten years now, and if i were to give you one recommendation, it would be to try on as many new boots as possible as well as doing some research, and buy whichever ones you like best. don't be afraid to spend some money here because if your boots aren't comfortable, you'll hate the sport. i bought a great pair of salomon boots almost five years ago now, and i love them today as much as the day i bought them. my point is that by spending two to three hundred dollars on a nice pair of boots, you're investing in your involvement in the sport if you will. good boots can last 5 years without any problem, and not having to worry about wanting to buy new boots or having to rent boots is definitely a plus as well. once you have good boots, you can buy a cheap used board to learn on and beat the isht out of, and then upgrade that once you get better as well. and if you decide you still like the sport. which you should because it kicks ***. good luck and don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:49 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02Wag on 17's
Originally posted by Steppin Razor
first of all, don't buy boots without trying them on. there's a good chance they will make your life miserable. of the boards you listed, i would stay away from the "newbreed" definitely, and the 5150 as well. go for the K2, they make good stuff. i would also say that you'll want to stick in the 155 range, any shorter and you'll outgrow the board in a couple trips.

i've been riding for almost ten years now, and if i were to give you one recommendation, it would be to try on as many new boots as possible as well as doing some research, and buy whichever ones you like best. don't be afraid to spend some money here because if your boots aren't comfortable, you'll hate the sport. i bought a great pair of salomon boots almost five years ago now, and i love them today as much as the day i bought them. my point is that by spending two to three hundred dollars on a nice pair of boots, you're investing in your involvement in the sport if you will. good boots can last 5 years without any problem, and not having to worry about wanting to buy new boots or having to rent boots is definitely a plus as well. once you have good boots, you can buy a cheap used board to learn on and beat the isht out of, and then upgrade that once you get better as well. and if you decide you still like the sport. which you should because it kicks ***. good luck and don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions.
Ambert,

Thanks for reaching out. Out of the two you listed the K2 is the way to go. It looks lik the bindings are made by Ride but work for the K2 Step-in-boots. The boots may not work for you. You could get the package and if the boots and bindings don't fit correctly you can try and sell them for cheep or even trade them in for a small amount of money toward new boots & bindings. But they you are looking at a hassel and looking at more money.

As Steppin Razor stated boots are the most important investment. Back in the late 80's when I got into boarding I rented the 1st two times I went. Then I bought boots and rented a board for the rest of the season (which was only like 3 more times and then the season was over). Anyway, then the next season I got my own board as I was hooked. Point being, proper fitting boots are very important.

The K2 Astar is a pretty good board. I demo-ed the board when it 1st came out. It's a little better than a entrey level board. Depending on how much the board was ridden during the the time of ownership it should be ok. If it was ridden alot then the camber may be a little less tight than if it was new. If you can look at the board before buying that would be ideal.

Kevin - Lowball does not = snowboard expert? I would have said he is... You need to check yourself mang! Don't make me school on the hill!!!

Last edited by Lowball; 10-13-2003 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:14 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
I would personally not suggest either one.

You can do better.

Shoot...I'd go to TriCity right now...everything is 50% off...you can get a brand new set up for like $400. If you want to go used try looking at www.snowbomb.com Check their classified and the links.

Other than that I suggest checking out a swap...they have one at Cabrillo in SC every year and there are more all over the place. You can pick up what you need really cheap.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:26 AM
VIP Member

Originally posted by OneManArmy
I would personally not suggest either one.

You can do better.

Shoot...I'd go to TriCity right now...everything is 50% off...you can get a brand new set up for like $400. If you want to go used try looking at www.snowbomb.com Check their classified and the links.

Other than that I suggest checking out a swap...they have one at Cabrillo in SC every year and there are more all over the place. You can pick up what you need really cheap.
This is also true. Tri-City is the place to go. I think we stated that back in your other thread. But it sounds like you don't have much money to spend???

How many times are you planning on going this next season? If you only think you may go up like 4 times then you may want to just buy some good boots and then save up for a board at 50% off next year.

But out of the two options you gave the K2 "board" is the better board.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:47 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: psm.03.wrx.wgn
what's the verdict?

verc,

like i said in my reply, and as the other folks having stated so emphatically, be sure the boots fit you. with a budget of $200 - $250, ya definitely gotta do you best to find some proper-fitting boots that will keep your feet happy on the slopes. i.e. they gotta be comfy, they gotta keep any snow/slush out but still let any excess sweat from your "dogs" out, they gotta be durable. as suggested, check out tri-city for any of last year's goodies since they're half off. you'll probably be able to find some decent boots fr $80-100. for a board-n-bindings set-up, check out a swap as already recommended.

last but not least, check out these sites:
http://www.the-house.com/
http://www.snowboardsandmore.com/
http://www.boardzone.com/
http://www.cheapsnowboards.com/
http://www.boardsforless.com/

good luck & happy hunting!
Old 10-17-2003, 05:37 AM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
Re: what's the verdict?

Originally posted by boardoholic
verc,

like i said in my reply, and as the other folks having stated so emphatically, be sure the boots fit you. with a budget of $200 - $250, ya definitely gotta do you best to find some proper-fitting boots that will keep your feet happy on the slopes. i.e. they gotta be comfy, they gotta keep any snow/slush out but still let any excess sweat from your "dogs" out, they gotta be durable. as suggested, check out tri-city for any of last year's goodies since they're half off. you'll probably be able to find some decent boots fr $80-100. for a board-n-bindings set-up, check out a swap as already recommended.

last but not least, check out these sites:
http://www.the-house.com/
http://www.snowboardsandmore.com/
http://www.boardzone.com/
http://www.cheapsnowboards.com/
http://www.boardsforless.com/

good luck & happy hunting!

Whoa crap,
Thanks everyone! Looks like there are a LOT of snow lovers here!
Yeah, thanks Tim and LB and everyone else.

I guess the boots point is really good.

The verdict I think is that I'll spend 80-100 like boardaholic suggested and buy a good pair of boots ( i remember how much those rental boots hurt!) and then rent for the 10 or so times I go.

Hmmm...the novice board rentals are usually like 20 bucks or so in the cheaper places? How much do demo board rentals run in those "2 blocks away" stores?

Thanks,
Ambert
Old 10-17-2003, 08:53 AM
VIP Member

Ambert,

If you don't want to rent...let me know and I'll see what my local shop has in used boards. They will give me a sweet deal cuz I've been going there for 14 years and I send people in there every year to buy stuff.

Just let me know mang.

Lowball
Old 10-17-2003, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by lowball
Ambert,

If you don't want to rent...let me know and I'll see what my local shop has in used boards. They will give me a sweet deal cuz I've been going there for 14 years and I send people in there every year to buy stuff.

Just let me know mang.

Lowball

Um, yeah actually i was waiting for someone to offer to lend a hand

Er, so I guess I should still go try out the best boot? Do I buy bindings with the board or the boot? keep a lookout for board and bindings?

So again I'm 5'10'' and 140, and want a kind of lower level half freestyle half 'riding'(yeah you said it wouldn't be that great at either but I'm not at that level yet I presume...) Looking to spend ~100-150 on the board.

Thanks again for everything!
Ambert
Old 10-17-2003, 04:17 PM
VIP Member

Originally posted by verc
Um, yeah actually i was waiting for someone to offer to lend a hand

Er, so I guess I should still go try out the best boot? Do I buy bindings with the board or the boot? keep a lookout for board and bindings?

So again I'm 5'10'' and 140, and want a kind of lower level half freestyle half 'riding'(yeah you said it wouldn't be that great at either but I'm not at that level yet I presume...) Looking to spend ~100-150 on the board.

Thanks again for everything!
Ambert
Let me see what I can find out this weekend. Board and bindings for around 100 - 150.

Go get some boots that fit and then wear them around the house making little snowboard boot tracks all over the carpet to break them in as much as possible.

You said you were a size nine right???
Old 10-17-2003, 04:30 PM

Um, actually 9.5 would probably be better since (I hope) I'm still growing.

Yeah, do try to look on the cheaper side, b/c I'm just hemorraging my summer job money right now...

Yeah I thought I'd be able to dish out 300 dollars a month (downpayment'd) for a wrx easy, kinda thinking the other way now, spent 400 on gas this summer when premium was like $2.50 o_O ack, all you little kiddies out there when mommie and daddy stop giving you money you learn responsibility and restraint very quickly
Old 10-17-2003, 09:57 PM

Car Info: 2016 CWP WRX
hey there

i currently work at a shop in Lafayette, nor-ski and sports. if you are looking for a deal, come see me. i just gave my 2 weeks notice, and can hook you up on some good gear for cheap.

and FWIW, i am moving back to tahoe (truckee) and will be managing Granite Chief again this winter (temporary work). no deals at the Chief, but i can hook up any i-club member with some sick tuning if you need it (all montana diamond stones, and 2.5 million ion tuning machines, REALLY good stuff).

you MUST contact me first to get the tuning deal. do not go into Granite Chief and ask for the i-club tuning deal. please pm me or ask for me when you are up.

josh
Old 10-20-2003, 03:41 PM
VIP Member

Ambert,

you got mail yo! (well a PM I should say)

Lowball