Help Needed to fight my Ticket - CVC23336

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 09:52 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRX
Help Needed to fight my Ticket - CVC23336

Hey guys,

I have been researching defense arguments online for quite some time and still could not find ones that will work better than the usual "unlucky duck in a flock" argument, which I DO NOT want to use. Everything I see online is either for speed trap, red light, and basic speed law, but nothing on fighting CVC23336 which has to do with the violation of the signage.

So I hope one of you guys might be able to point me to the right direction from your past experience or someone that you know had fought this type of ticket before. Thanks all!

Below is the description of the traffic stop and what I have done thus far:

The location of the speeding ticket is on the Bay Bridge's lower deck, between Treasure Island and San Francisco. I was switching lane from the middle right lane to the farthest right lane when I noticed the CHP behind me. At the time, there were cars next to me going around the same speed. CHP pulled me over and cited me for CVC 23336, and he wrote me down for going 60+mph in a 50mph zone.

I usually don't fight my ticket, but I need to fight this for two reasons: 1) my last traffic school was 17months and 29 days ago, so I missed the eligibility for traffic school by 1 day, 2) I was not going the speed as the officer has claimed on my ticket. So hopefully people can help me and provide me with some advice on how I should articulate my defense in my Trial by Declaration.

Here is what I have done thus far:
1. Requested a Court Date
2. Requested a Continuance
3. Submitted a Discovery Request to the DA and to CHP
4. Received ONLY a response from the CHP with the officer's notes
Officer's note states the following:
- Light and Medium Traffic
- Clear weather
- Dry condition
- "Good Dili" - no idea what the officer meant by this, good diligence?
- "Admitted 55"
- "Pace 3/4 miles"

Based on the above, I am planning to request a Trial by Declaration, but I wanted to get the advice from this forum. A few questions I have:

- Is it legal for the officer to write down that I admitted 55mph but he wrote down 60+mph on the ticket instead? If it is not legal, can this be used to dismiss my ticket?
- What are some of the potential defense arguments that I can use to fight this ticket? I went online and did a lot of research and found a lot of defense for speed trap, radar, and pacing under other CVC, but I have not found any argument against CVC 23336. Any advice?
- Finally, at the end of the day, if I am found guilty by the judge, I would like to ask for a chance at traffic school since I was only 1 day away from being eligible. Should I 1) add in a sentence in the end requesting for traffic school if I am found guilty or 2) wait until I hear the result, and if I am found guilty, request for a new trial and ask the judge in person for a chance at traffic school?

Thanks in advance for any advice and support you might be able to provide. I really appreciate it!

Best Regards,
Mark
Old 07-28-2010, 09:56 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
How fast were you going?
"Other cars going the same speed" won't hold water.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:32 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Prima facie speed law. You need to show that the speed you were traveling was necessary to avoid becoming a hazard to yourself or other motorists.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:32 AM

Car Info: 2002
Hit up Strider327. He does written declaration trials for people for a living. He helped me with my speeding ticket, got it all dismissed and my money back.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:04 AM

Car Info: wrx02
Just write something and hope he/she doesn't submit. But honestly, looks like you may have to pay up for your bad luck. Who knows? May be you'll get lucky this time.
I know I got lucky and got away with trial by declaration. My record is 100% clean and I learned to slow down.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:27 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
check out ticketbust.com. They've gotten me off all 3 speeding tickets I submitted to them so far.

-- Ed
Old 07-28-2010, 12:36 PM

Car Info: Saab 9-2x Aero/Sti
Originally Posted by Drew's rex
Hit up Strider327. He does written declaration trials for people for a living. He helped me with my speeding ticket, got it all dismissed and my money back.
+1 if you can't afford to take the point definitely hire a professional. Don't know about this guy in particular, but I've seen many traffic lawyers plead stuff down to nothing in court.

The courts become really jaded with all kinds of people coming in and acting a fool. Just the fact that they get to deal with a professional helps bring down that wall a bit.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:37 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Originally Posted by Drew's rex
Drew: Do you have his contact info (email or phone)?
Old 07-28-2010, 04:03 PM

Car Info: 2002
Pmed ya.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:06 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX, 06 Evo IX MR, now 2010 STi
I would say your best chance of winning this is if the officer doesn't show up to the court date. It's really hard to get out of these tickets.

sucks that you missed the traffic school option by one day.

good luck
Old 07-28-2010, 05:00 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
He even wrote down he paced you, that you acknowledged speeding. I don't see a commissioner taking your side easily. This cop takes notes, worst person to fight against.

By the way, if your ticket was in a different county, traffic school should not be an issue. Also, traffic school dates are based on WHEN you took traffic school, not the date of ticket. I'm sure you will get a traffic school option. Wait for your courtesy notice and see your options/fines.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:04 AM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
check out ticketbust.com. They've gotten me off all 3 speeding tickets I submitted to them so far.

-- Ed
Tickets are cheaper than a dyno I guess, in the short term anyway... Does your software compensate for the police?
Old 07-29-2010, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Also, traffic school dates are based on WHEN you took traffic school, not the date of ticket.
Are you sure about this, Gagan? I checked a couple of years ago and they said it was from the date of the citation. Maybe it has changed one way or the other?
Old 07-29-2010, 10:22 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by irrational x
Tickets are cheaper than a dyno I guess, in the short term anyway... Does your software compensate for the police?
all my tickets are in my own car doing 5-10mph over the speed limit on major highways. I've never received a ticket while tuning.

Thanks
-- Ed

Last edited by EQ Tuning; 07-29-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
He even wrote down he paced you, that you acknowledged speeding. I don't see a commissioner taking your side easily. This cop takes notes, worst person to fight against.

By the way, if your ticket was in a different county, traffic school should not be an issue. Also, traffic school dates are based on WHEN you took traffic school, not the date of ticket. I'm sure you will get a traffic school option. Wait for your courtesy notice and see your options/fines.
When I went in to request a court date, they verified that I was ineligible for traffic school by one day and suggested me going to court.

I am going to try to fight this still with Written by Declaration, hopefully Drew's Rex's friend can help me out. I figure I will get two chances with Written by Declaration. Wish me luck guys!

Quick Reply: Help Needed to fight my Ticket - CVC23336