Help me pick my next car

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 11:42 AM

Car Info: WRX
Help me pick my next car

So i'm going to put up my car for sale. Love my wrx to death, but i'm getting bored and need something different for now. I'm probably moving to so cal, got accepted to CSU Northridge and would make the trip back to norcal pretty often to so looking for something classy, cool, comfortable, relatively reliable and economical.

I was thinking thinks like:

e46 bmw 3 series coupe w/5spd then throw some springs and bbs lm reps.
maybe put a tow hitch on the back so I can pull around a track bike again.

old cheap miata to tool around in and throw some cheap xxr's or something old school looking with springs

infiniti g35

and open to other suggestions! what do you guys things about the choices i'm thinking of? and feel free to suggest your own ideas. Basically just bored and trying to kill time by figuring out what car I want to get.

And what do you guys know about Northridge? right near LA. Where's a good area to live to be able to still make it to school there? etc.

TIA guuuiiise.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:56 AM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
my personal favorite would be g35 6spd sedan, or an LGT

(not a coupe guy here)
Old 05-11-2011, 12:04 PM

Car Info: 2010 SWP WRX
Well if your moving to so cal, you will need a Honda Civic, dumped, no hubcaps on stock steel wheels and super dark tint!
Old 05-11-2011, 12:05 PM

Car Info: 2010 Impreza 2.5i Premium Boosted
^^ G35 sedan. Sick! My sister in law is going to Northridge in the fall. I was going to apply there. Let me know how the school is and the area.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:11 PM

Car Info: '01 GC8 & '96 OBS
I like your choices so far (bmw, g35) except the miata. Unless you don't care about room or power (if left stock) then they really don't have a lot to offer imo. At 70mph they are at like 4200 rpms and it's pretty obnoxious.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:23 PM

Ya, the g35 with brembos is one of my faves. I like coupes though. A 3 series could be had for cheap...and the miata makes sense as a $2k solution for putting on 500 miles each way to Sonora and Chico. Or another cheap economic solution. Maybe two cars...depending on where I can move to. Would be cool to have a baller bmw or g35 or even keep my subie as the "nice" car. lol

So hard to decide though! It all comes down to my car hopefully selling though. I want to paint it a new color, but everyone says it would greatly decrease the resale value.

Car Info: 2004 WW Evo RS
Originally Posted by SilverBlitzkeig
Well if your moving to so cal, you will need a Honda Civic, dumped, no hubcaps on stock steel wheels and super dark tint!
LOL.......

Car Info: 2008 Legacy GT
for a nice dd, 4 doors, some power, comfortable lux car, gas saving. IS250 or IS350. especially since you'll be on road trips. trunk is surprisingly bigger compared to the wrx/sti.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!
e36 m3. or if you need awd, s4
Old 05-11-2011, 12:33 PM

Car Info: with the blinkers on
If you're going to live far away or drive everywhere. Think about getting an auto. My summer commute last year was 45min through OC to SGV. Shifting was brutal for stop and go. Especially in dress shoes.

Plus it's easier to convince your friends to drive if you've had to much sauce and/or are too tired. I've shot myself in the foot by taking my car to Vegas from Norcal, and ended driving to and from the whole 10 hours each way.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by SeaOfGreen
LOL.......
LOL i'm all in for that. Blending in is the key, right?

Originally Posted by tedward88
for a nice dd, 4 doors, some power, comfortable lux car, gas saving. IS250 or IS350. especially since you'll be on road trips. trunk is surprisingly bigger compared to the wrx/sti.
Originally Posted by dorifto88
e36 m3. or if you need awd, s4
I would love to. Maintenance on an m3 is a lil too much for me. I decided to drop my expectations down to an e46 3 series. Although if I had two cars, a cheap beater dd and an m3, that would be cool.

I don't really want a 4 door, but i'd love to have an IS, but still too pricey for me, and for that price, it wouldn't be economical for making 1000 miles roundtrips to norcal...although would be comfy.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:35 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
And as far as bmw, in my opinion, I wouldn't buy one that isn't an M...I might catch some flak for saying that so ill explain why

My dad had a z3 coupe (I learned to drive in this car), uncle had a e36 328 and now a e46 330, a friend with an e36 m3 and now my dad has a z4m coupe...and I like driving my wrx more than the non-M cars...my wrx is stg1 with suspension upgrades, not fast by anymeans..I guess I'm an awd turbo junkie now so non-M bmws don't do it for me anymore

And seeing them deal with maintainence $$$, I def wouldn't go bmw...I'd go infiniti or lexus for luxury

So I stand by my picks - g35 sedan (6spd manual only) or an lgt with a stickshift as well
Old 05-11-2011, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by slugrx
And as far as bmw, in my opinion, I wouldn't buy one that isn't an M...I might catch some flak for saying that so ill explain why

My dad had a z3 coupe (I learned to drive in this car), uncle had a e36 328 and now a e46 330, a friend with an e36 m3 and now my dad has a z4m coupe...and I like driving my wrx more than the non-M cars...my wrx is stg1 with suspension upgrades, not fast by anymeans..I guess I'm an awd turbo junkie now so non-M bmws don't do it for me anymore

And seeing them deal with maintainence $$$, I def wouldn't go bmw...I'd go infiniti or lexus for luxury

So I stand by my picks - g35 sedan (6spd manual only) or an lgt with a stickshift as well
I know what you mean. I already joined the bmw forums and did some research. The m is cool, and i'd love to stick with a fast car, as i'm vf48's with full suspension work, but I drive like a grandma so I wouldn't miss the speed so much. A standard bmw, I can work on pretty easily, but when it comes to M, the parts are triple the cost and so is maintenance so if something went wrong, it would cost 3x more than the standard generally from what i've gathered. Pretty much i've always just been a fan of the e46, with dark paint, and some clean silver bbs lm's.

I still have yet to test drive any cars. I've never even had a chance to actually drive a e46, m3, or g35 but the idea of a 6spd and brembo'd, clean and slick g35 sounds good.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:48 PM

Car Info: 2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
I'll trade my gold 04 BBS's plus cash for your Enkei's

Pleeeeeeeaseee
Old 05-11-2011, 02:49 PM

Car Info: @eatwithnaveed
take it from me since i buy and sell cars.
ive had a g35, and a 350z and both to me were crappy cars. im not a big fan of either one. the g35 is alot more comfy than a z but its the same crappy motor. theyre not as reliable as people think. id much rather go with the new g37 or g35 sedan. as far as the bmw crowd, i owned a bmw z3m coupe for quite some time and it was very very fun to drive. it was comfy and quick and of corse turned heads everywhere since it was rare. i also had a e36 m3 before and it was basicly the same as my m-coupe besides the looks. theyre not as fast as my sti of corse, but are still quick. also, i drive my friends e46 m3's all the time and theyre probably your best bet in something fast, reliable, and comfortable. my buddy has a e46 zcp (competition package) in smg and itd be perfect for you since you can go auto and manual. only downside is that its still a little expensive to maintain. but the g35 and z i had were pretty pricey as well. just leaving that out here for you to consider. id go e46 m3 or e92 335i.

Quick Reply: Help me pick my next car