Help me decide on a new single speed/ fixie...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 11:37 AM

Car Info: 2007 WRX WAGON ...WFC #109...
Help me decide on a new single speed/ fixie...

Hey what's up everyone...i know that some of you guys ride road bikes and i need some help.. I have been working at my new job for a few months now at the sports basement in walnut creek and they are offering a great discount for employees on everything so i would like to take an advantage of that and get into my first single speed/fixie... i just need some help deciding on what is worth getting.. i want to build a bike that's not too expensive but at the same time not too cheap because they are offering 40% off anything i need..

The brands we carry are:

Bike:Felt , Fuji, SE, Cannondale, Jamis, KHS..
Wheels: Velocity, Mavic..

I'm not sure if it would be easier to just buy a complete bike or to just piece it together...

Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 02-02-2010, 11:44 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
I'm going to try not to judge you for saying you want a fixed gear bike.

Buying a complete bike is easier but piecing one together is a fun experience. My college bike is a used Huffy. I replaced both front and rear clusters, derailleur, wheels, crank arm and shifters. It rides well and while its on the heavy side no one ever pays it any attention unless they really have an eye for components.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:48 AM

Car Info: 2002 sedan sti swap high on meth
find a old *** road frame and fork in a dumpster somewhere, build some wheels, find a old road handlebar and stem throw a chain, cog, crankset, and tires on...you got your self a single speed/fixed gear/track bike
Old 02-02-2010, 11:50 AM

Car Info: '14 Odyssey & '13 Prius
Originally Posted by blkwagon
find a old *** road frame and fork in a dumpster somewhere, build some wheels, find a old road handlebar and stem throw a chain, cog, crankset, and tires on...you got your self a single speed/fixed gear/track bike
What he said!
https://www.i-club.com/forums/norcal-classifieds-96/fs-schwinn-road-bike-%24100-obo-214888/
Old 02-02-2010, 11:52 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX
First thing: you're going to save a ton if you buy a complete bike as opposed to building it all up from parts. You will also avoid potential headaches with matching parts to get good chain line and other things.

The other thing I would suggest is just doing it as cheaply as possible. You hit diminishing marginal returns early with these things because you start paying for "NJS" certifications and other exotic imported parts that don't really add to the utility (fun) of the bike, so much as symbolize status.

Of course if you're going for the status symbol then spend as much as possible by all means.

I remember seeing something built up in the Sports Basement in San Jose, could you get a deal on one of those? In general I would avoid Jamis and KHS.

If I were you I would definitely go for one of the Cannondale Capo's.

If you get a pro-deal on QBP or another major parts distributor like BTI, you should check out what kinds of completes they offer, too.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:07 PM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
If you have a chance to get 40% off definitely buy something new and complete.

What models do you guys sell?
Fuji Track (Comp, Pro, Classic)
Felt (Tk3,Tk2, Curbside)
SE (Draft?) I never liked em
Cannodale (Capo)
Jamis (Beatnik)
KHS (Flight 100)

Second what are you willing to spend? What are your intended purposes for it?
Have you ridden FIXED before? It can get pretty tricky when you are dealing with track bike with tight geometry on the streets.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:13 PM

Car Info: 2007 WRX WAGON ...WFC #109...
i have ridden fixed before... i actually have a volume fixed gear at my house that my friend let me borrow because he got back into his bmx.. riding fixed is fun but i would like the versatility of having a flip flop hub...

the purpose of the bike is just for recreational riding.. nothing too serious.. just something to keep me active...

my budget is around 500 maybe a little more or less but keep in mind that i get 40% off the bike and/or parts...

i really appreciate everyones help..
Old 02-02-2010, 12:19 PM

Car Info: Reason
if your budget is around 500, and you work at a place that sells Fuji, then trying to work out a pro deal on the Track Comp should be first on your radar in my opinion. good parts spec, good customer service through Fuji, etc.

I spent 10 years as a bike mechanic, so if you have any further questions I can address them via PM.

Last edited by buzzword; 02-02-2010 at 12:21 PM. Reason: ...
Old 02-02-2010, 12:52 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
buzz where did you work?
Old 02-02-2010, 01:54 PM

Car Info: Stage 2 '13 WRX hatch

I had something similiar to this one when I was 4. Remove the training wheels and you're g2g
Old 02-02-2010, 03:41 PM

Car Info: 2008 subaru AWD stroller...wahaha
haha...nice deal, 40% off? I will go with felt, fuji, cannodale, (if they carry them...trek and specialized)

I'm not a fixie person (stopping a fixie is really painful too, if you dont know how like me.), have chance to ride them couple time but not my cup of tea (unable to stop one time and end up flying off...haha, i know). I like the way road bike let u able to do free spin when you are tired.

get a road bike, eventually you will switch and go there.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:34 PM

Car Info: Silver 09 STI
riding a fixed gear/single speed means you are in the wrong gear 95% of the time.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:06 PM

Car Info: with the blinkers on
I'm in the "get a cheaper road bike" category. Fixies can be lots of fun but you should ride multiple times weekly in order to get a feel for riding out on the road, it's much different than on a track. With a road bike you don't have to pay attention to that aspect as much, although gear changing can be tough initially. If you're dead set on single speed/fixed, personally I'd get a big BMX/freestyle mountain bike. I feel like I'd get too bored with a single gear and would inevitably take it off jumps. Would this be a bike you would ride and lock out in public?
Old 02-03-2010, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by akdmx
buzz where did you work?
The last two shops I worked for were Freewheel in SF and The Bike Biz in Sacramento. I have had a "grown up" job for the last year and I miss being able to tinker on crap all day.

I think there are still photos of me building bike wheels on the Bike Biz website - dunno why they don't update it...maybe because I'm such a looker.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:48 PM

Also - this is my everyday fixed gear.

Name:  simple010.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  73.6 KB

This is not a current photo - I sold the wheels, built new ones, and got different cranks. It's pretty baller still but no stupid carbon deathtrap wheel.

Quick Reply: Help me decide on a new single speed/ fixie...