Help with insurance. Got in accident!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 09:41 AM

Car Info: GD
Help with insurance. Got in accident!

Sooo.. basically last night around 830PM i was talking a left on stevens creek/keily and i was waiting for the left turn light, and the car in front of my decided to reverse into me for some reason.. so now I have a cracked front bumper.. I already have all his imformation and called progressive to make a claim already.. what do i do now? I also have a sti front bumper on a wrx. would the insurance company give me back a wrx front bumper or a sti one?
Old 04-15-2010, 09:54 AM

Car Info: 05 18g LGT Wagon | Former 08 LGT Spec.B
Call his insurance first, then call your insurance to tell them you were involved in an accident, and you are not at fault. Give your insurance the other dude's information, and the claim number you got from the other party's insurance. Leave it up to the 2 insurance companies to battle it out. They might be able to get you a loaner car under the other dude's insurance (maybe).

Your insurance company should be able to help you through the next steps. Do you have a receipt for the STI bumper? If not, insurance usually just pays for OEM parts. Either way, it's worth negotiating. Some insurance require extra fees to cover aftermarket parts (like my esurance). After they assess the damage, they will give you a quote on what they'll pay for. That's when you can negotiate the bumper. Take pics of the damage. If you're sore or anything, you might be able to get a small settlement that might help with a new STI bumper.

Good luck!
Old 04-15-2010, 09:55 AM

Car Info: AW '04 WRX Wagon w/JDM STi drivetrain swap
Contact his insurance company to make the claim & make sure you take the car to a shop that will replace what was damaged with the same thing and "restore the vehicle to pre-accident condition". It's on his insurance company to foot the bill - don't let them slide & cheap out on you. Also, be sure you have the DMV form SR1 filled out for the accident & properly filed.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:08 AM

Car Info: ugly piece of ****
Make sure to report the limited edition fine art pieces that were damaged or missing in the accident.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:23 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRB WRX
Any chance you've had a passenger with you or any other witnesses? Might want to get their statements in before other party claims you rear-ended them...
Old 04-15-2010, 10:27 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by C2H5OH
Any chance you've had a passenger with you or any other witnesses? Might want to get their statements in before other party claims you rear-ended them...
^^THIS IS KEY. Report it asap if not sooner or you may get a bad surprise. People are scum in situations like this. Speaking of that, anyone know an "Alex Fang" who drives a blue '03 Hyundai Santa Fe...?
Old 04-15-2010, 11:29 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
Whatever is on the car they will pay for it. They usually check. So if its an STI front, they will replace it with an STI front, as long as its OEM.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:39 AM

Car Info: GD
thanks for all the help guys! I just got off the phone with the insurance company and made my claim.. I had 2 witnesses in my car when it happened..but we didn't call the cops.. so i hope he doesnt get away with it!
Old 04-15-2010, 12:04 PM

Car Info: 05 18g LGT Wagon | Former 08 LGT Spec.B
Hmm, no cops? Yikes, good thing you have 2 witnesses.

Try to get confirmation from the other dude's insurance that he's not claiming you're at fault.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:57 PM

Well Jes you should always get a police report, no matter what. Its just safer and easier that way, so there's no misconception and no drawbacks. I don't know if the insurance company will allow your two friends in the car to be witnesses though. Hopefully everything goes smoothly and you get what your entitled for.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:00 PM

Car Info: '15 WRX
From what I had learned the hard way, its important to have a neutral witness and not people in your car because it could mean nothing
Old 04-15-2010, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by ZeR0
From what I had learned the hard way, its important to have a neutral witness and not people in your car because it could mean nothing
Exactly....I believe only neutral witnesses count.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:15 PM

Car Info: WRX
I'm wondering what the guy who backed into you said.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:21 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX Limited (sold 2009 WRX beast)
Heres the thing. This exact same thing happened to me and my fiance. Some stupid rent-a-popo was sittin at the light and put in reverse. We honked but he hit. Made a small indentation of the tow hook right on the bumper. Guy claimed he was too close to him and couldnt see him guess he was def and couldnt hear the honk either.
All and all the cops were called cuz my fiance lost his cool and the guy right there stated to the cop, I reverse into them and hit.
Later to find out after making the claim that the guy tryed to state he did not hit us at all.
Got the police report and sure enough it stated he hit us.
Insurance got my statement as well. I was in the car
Got cashed out for it which ended up being $1400
They were even going to replace and paint the aftermarket lip that wasnt even damaged.

So ALWAYS call the popo to be safe. People will do it and turn the tables on you.
Im sure all will be fine. If not, Sue.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:02 PM

Car Info: '15 WRX
Also, some cops refuse to come onto private property like a shopping lot, in that case, say that there were injuries and they have to come.

or call mall security to document it

Quick Reply: Help with insurance. Got in accident!